iPhone 13 Pro
FIRST FRIDAY - December - Newtown SYD HipstaPak

F17902AE-A5BB-47EA-84AF-316D44B31C17.jpeg

661BB351-2704-4835-B6DA-C64D489EF06E.jpeg

7CBC2C5B-05AB-4008-AD3F-468650B14C91.jpeg

7FDF8FDD-4BA3-4387-936E-525E23E631EB.jpeg

6E1AF353-CBDD-4673-A813-1FF3CD397AF1.jpeg

AND - It’s still only Friday... :D

*I'm undecided on this pak - the B&W film is almost IR in appearance with blown out highlights and little shadow detail (the things I tried to correct back in the day using Kodak Recording Film ) . Ditto on the color film - I'd like to see both films on a low contrast day to see what the results would be ? As for the lens - what is it's character ?

*I'm undecided on this pak - the B&W film is almost IR in appearance with blown out highlights and little shadow detail (the things I tried to correct back in the day using Kodak Recording Film ) . Ditto on the color film - I'd like to see both films on a low contrast day to see what the results would be ? As for the lens - what is it's character ?
Is it only us old film photographers who speak of these aspects of image quality? I’m surprised by how few people these days seem concerned about blown-out highlights.

Is it only us old film photographers who speak of these aspects of image quality? I’m surprised by how few people these days seem concerned about blown-out highlights.
If blown-out highlights make an image interesting 'artistically' then it's all good in my book. I don't think Hipsta has ever been about perfect photography.

Yes, I agree. And then there’s always adjustments to be made within Hipsta if you don’t like what you see.
The biggest problem arises when the highlight detail you expected to see just isn’t there. If the highlight details have been pushed off-scale during exposure no amount of manipulation can bring them back. You can always manipulate the midtone values with no problems but that doesn’t compensate for the absent qualities at the highlight and shadow ends of the scale.

If blown-out highlights make an image interesting 'artistically' then it's all good in my book. I don't think Hipsta has ever been about perfect photography.
I suspect that instances of blown-out highlights making a picture interesting would be exceedingly rare but I can’t exclude the theoretical possibility. And you’re right of course that Hipstamatic has never been about fine art image quality. To work hard for many years aspiring to quality image values only to see them systematically trashed is rather disheartening.

The biggest problem arises when the highlight detail you expected to see just isn’t there. If the highlight details have been pushed off-scale during exposure no amount of manipulation can bring them back. You can always manipulate the midtone values with no problems but that doesn’t compensate for the absent qualities at the highlight and shadow ends of the scale.
And this, I think, is why you are disappointed with your images in Hipstamatic Brian. You expect a bit too much from it.:rolleyes:

I suspect that instances of blown-out highlights making a picture interesting would be exceedingly rare but I can’t exclude the theoretical possibility. And you’re right of course that Hipstamatic has never been about fine art image quality. To work hard for many years aspiring to quality image values only to see them systematically trashed is rather disheartening.
Trashed?o_O Have you seen some of the amazing images from lkbside Leslie using Hipstamatic?

Trashed?o_O Have you seen some of the amazing images from lkbside Leslie using Hipstamatic?
Yes, I’m always impressed with what she can do with Hipstamatic. I’m referring more to the trend I see among many apps to try to present the low quality results as the new normal. I’m troubled by the destruction of the basic image quality standards in photography.
But maybe I’m expecting too much. From a technical perspective it is much harder to improve a photo that it is to degrade it. That is why we see so many low-fi type apps.

AND, the e-mail catches up... :D

I really cannot be bothered importing all the iMages from the Hipstamatic e-mail... :rog:

23E31D29-6C60-47BD-92B4-E62C3B48DEE5.png

7BADAB3B-EE35-44EB-B15B-2B4B3C7DAE9C.jpeg

9 YEARS OF HIPSTAMATIC!
In celebration of our 9 year anniversary, we crafted a special Pak by teaming up with photographer Markus Andersen. Together we created a punchy new lens and our first sprocket films! The resulting images take inspiration from the organic B&W film images from his sold out photo book "Rage Against The Light." The photos with the Newtown SYD HipstaPak replicate a 2 stop pushed film and we think you're going to love it!

MARKUS NSW LENS
Inspired by photographer Markus Andersen, this lens gives you deep shadows while opening up the midtones and retaining details in highlights.

SPRKT BW FILM

This punchy film works like a 2-stop pushed B&W film (think: Kodak TRI X or ILford HP5+ 400 pushed to 1600), including high grain and visible sprockets. This film will become a quick favorite of street, people, and documentary shooters!

SPRKT-ULTIMO FILM
This 1600 ISO color film adds contrast and organic film grain to your photos. The method of shooting that is most effective with this film is direct sunlight with nice shadows.

Enjoy these beautiful samples and share yours on Oggl!
7c9b2c55-13c2-4c05-befb-59f425689e50.jpg

46fbd33a-16c2-458d-892b-b912dd19bea1.jpg

c613a7ac-b86c-4750-b07d-f578b6bc6587.jpg

a94e3749-44ef-4c09-bb4c-dba48058f58c.jpg

Have an idea for a new lens or film? Let us know on Facebook.

SELFIE LIKE ITS 1899!
An early precursor to the instant photo, tintype photography was popular from the mid-1800s to the 1900s. Bring the old-school-cool art form to your iPhone with TinType by Hipstamatic and give your selfies a beautiful turn-or-the-century sheen.

Download it on the AppStore!

BIRTHDAY PRINT SALE!
We're so excited to celebrate our 9th Birthday that we're putting everything in the PrintLab on sale! Enjoy a 20% discount on all archival prints, this weekend only when you enter the coupon at checkout.

Coupon Code: HAPPY9

Offer expires December 15, 2018
Open in Hipstamatic

Holiday Gifting Is Almost Here!
You better watch out
You better not cry
Better not pout
I'm telling you why
HipstaClaus is coming to town.

Make sure to follow us on Instagram to be the first to know!

Copyright © 2018 Hipstamatic, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you signed up for a Hipstaccount (either to enter our contests or to order prints from the HipstaMart).

Hipstamatic
PO Box 642220
San Francisco, California 94164
open.php

Back
Top Bottom