FundyBrian’s Explorations

I have the instructions my cousin used to make flutes in PDF format. How do I attach or send them to you?

Do you still have any more unfinished flutes to work on? And what about some of the equipment to make flutes? Also, I’m wondering about what key your flutes are in. All the same, or different keys?

There are lots of good videos online to learn flute playing. Some might take some searching to find the best ones. Lots of people wanting to charge for lessons. Others saying they can teach you how to play in 10 minutes. To me the most challenging aspect is getting a feel for the pentatonic minor scale that NA flutes use.

The block and track area are the most complicated part of the flute to get right. Even after following a plan some experimenting is necessary to get the best sound out of it.

I see the track area in your flutes uses a square section left un-turned on the lathe. I have seen other flutes like that online. The method I use starts from a completely round flute body. The flat area is cut down into the round surface. Then the track is cut into the flute body. The block on top is just flat, with a slight radius on the sound hole end.
As I previously indicated, my cousin roughed out these flutes in his shop. I just copied and finished those he did. You need to see the instructions he followed.

19436569-6400-4926-8A5E-AAD8D856D64F.jpeg

71426583-9079-4B88-B72E-17D15DB5D433.jpeg

3E52182F-7EB6-4CEA-A9DB-EE13AE96990A.jpeg

More photos. I don’t know what the material is on the flute body. It appears to be a very thin foam with one adhesive side (step #8 in the instructions he followed).

3347ABB2-1D6B-49E8-9B92-A5C01A1F486D.jpeg

E13FAADF-FFE4-4DDC-BC43-16F35C6AD478.jpeg

S
As I previously indicated, my cousin roughed out these flutes in his shop. I just copied and finished those he did. You need to see the instructions he followed.

View attachment 146576
View attachment 146577
View attachment 146578
So it appears you don’t cut the track area down into the top deck of the flute. The track depth is accounted for by the thickness of the white gasket, which also makes sealing the block on top. I would guess the thickness of that foam is about 1/32” or a bit less.

More photos. I don’t know what the material is on the flute body. It appears to be a very thin foam with one adhesive side (step #8 in the instructions he followed).

View attachment 146579
View attachment 146580
Handsome owl totem, too. Do use a special carving knife, like a chip carving knife?

Once you have finished the flutes your cousin started for you, then what? Will that be the end? Do you have enough tools to carry on or has your curiosity been satisfied by this point?

Handsome owl totem, too. Do use a special carving knife, like a chip carving knife?

Once you have finished the flutes your cousin started for you, then what? Will that be the end? Do you have enough tools to carry on or has your curiosity been satisfied by this point?
I have several carving tools as carving is one of my hobbies. I guess you said it...my curiosity is satisfied. I’m not a musician and gave up trying to master the flute. My only musical training is voice lessons. I sing in 4 groups and am a cantor.

BTW, I believe you’re living in the area my ancestors are from. My 6th great-grandfather, Pierre Morin dit Boucher, migrated to Port Royal around 1661 where he married Marie Madeleine Martin. Around 1680, the family moved to Beaubassin. Much history there. He died in 1690 in Ristigouche, NB.

Genealogy is another hobby.

BTW, I believe you’re living in the area my ancestors are from. My 6th great-grandfather, Pierre Morin dit Boucher, migrated to Port Royal around 1661 where he married Marie Madeleine Martin. Around 1680, the family moved to Beaubassin. Much history there. He died in 1690 in Ristigouche, NB.

Genealogy is another hobby.
So they were Acadians? Lots of Acadians in that area. I wonder where your relatives were in 1755, the time of the expulsion of Acadians by the British. Many ended up in Louisiana.

I have several carving tools as carving is one of my hobbies. I guess you said it...my curiosity is satisfied. I’m not a musician and gave up trying to master the flute. My only musical training is voice lessons. I sing in 4 groups and am a cantor.
I suppose an instrument that plays in pentatonic minor scale doesn’t really fit into your other musical pursuits.

I did some carving years ago and recently it has resurfaced as an active interest. I’ve been watching some carving videos on YouTube.

So they were Acadians? Lots of Acadians in that area. I wonder where your relatives were in 1755, the time of the expulsion of Acadians by the British. Many ended up in Louisiana.
The family eventually moved on and most of them settled in Quebec, continuing the family lines there. In 1755, my direct ancestor was living in Montmagny, Quebec.

I suppose an instrument that plays in pentatonic minor scale doesn’t really fit into your other musical pursuits.

I did some carving years ago and recently it has resurfaced as an active interest. I’ve been watching some carving videos on YouTube.
I had an album "Motown Musings" before with some of my carvings pics, but can't find it now.

Just select 'Attach Files' select your PDF file, just as you would for a photograph, and Bob's your jolly old, Larry... :thumbs:

:D
Thanks, Rog. Apparently it didn't work when I originally tried it previously. There may be a file size restriction.

Flute instructions: Page 2 of 2
I was able to “share” the documents with myself by email and from there to open them with Acrobat. Now on my iPad Pro where the screen is big enough to make out all the details.
Thanks very much.
The design is quite similar in many ways but has a few differences that are interesting to study. One thing is that it greatly simplifies making the track area.

Thanks, Rog. Apparently it didn't work when I originally tried it previously. There may be a file size restriction.
Larry - sorry, I have had to delete the PDFs as they just show as blanks in the Recent iMages display on the Home Page - we need to have TechMeister look at that!

Could you just photograph the documents and add them in instead?

You remember the plain white Apple branch flute I showed in a photo recently? I was getting ready to put on an oil finish to protect the wood but there were a couple of dark spots I wanted to bleach a bit if I could. Well big surprise! The grain pattern I couldn’t even see popped up dramatically. So I bleached the whole flute but I was worried the effect would fade so I put on some wood stain and it looks much the same as the bleach except not quite as red.
Here’s a close up of one area.
58EAFB78-E3F5-4196-BD1D-2D6B864F5434.jpeg

This might be just a bit more yellow than real life, under indoor lighting. Remember, I couldn’t see the grain at all before this.

Back
Top Bottom