Hurricane Dorian heading our way!

camperbc

MobiStarlet
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Glen
We are supposed to get hit by Dorian by tomorrow morning. As we were unsuccessful in finding someone to build us a new shed this summer, we currently have no place to store the motorcycles... so they must weather the storm! I just got back in from trying to make a safe spot for them, and here's what I came up with. As you can see, I have the Honda right up tight against the back wall, with the V-Star parked tightly against it, with a garbage bin filled with rocks (~300 lbs) up against the V-Star. (I have all the wheels chocked with rocks) The bikes are positioned so that about the only wind that can hit them really hard would be coming directly from the east, (and that's not supposed to be the case tomorrow) so hopefully they will be OK.

The bigger concern when we have hurricanes/tropical storms here on Fogo Island, is that where we are positioned on the northeast coast of Newfoundland is about the worst anywhere for ridiculously strong coastal winds, (our house sits only about 75 ft from edge the North Atlantic) and being a 150+ year-old, two-storey house, we always have to wonder just how much punishment it can tolerate before it disintegrates! The year that Hurricane Igor paid us a visit, our house was actually vibrating/rocking as if we were having a major earthquake! And the upstairs was 10x worse... there's no sleeping up there during a hurricane! We have witnessed our coffee table slowly vibrate its way clear across the living room floor, and have also watched our front deck completely lift clear off the ground. Even after living here for years, through a few hurricanes, several tropical storms, and countless 150+ km/h blizzards, you never do get used to it!

But I suppose I might be worrying for nothing, as our humble old abode has somehow managed to stay intact through winds of 175+ km/h, (last year) and we didn't lose so much as a shingle or a piece of siding, when most of our neighbours' homes had unfortunately suffered heavy damage. (though during our last bad storm, the wind actually stripped the paint right off our eaves!)

I will try to report in again tomorrow, but if you don't hear back from me don't be too alarmed... it likely will just mean that our electricity/internet is out. (and there is almost no cell service at our house!)

(the pics were taken using my tablet's subpar camera!)

We are supposed to get hit by Dorian by tomorrow morning. As we were unsuccessful in finding someone to build us a new shed this summer, we currently have no place to store the motorcycles... so they must weather the storm! I just got back in from trying to make a safe spot for them, and here's what I came up with. As you can see, I have the Honda right up tight against the back wall, with the V-Star parked tightly against it, with a garbage bin filled with rocks (~300 lbs) up against the V-Star. (I have all the wheels chocked with rocks) The bikes are positioned so that about the only wind that can hit them really hard would be coming directly from the east, (and that's not supposed to be the case tomorrow) so hopefully they will be OK.

The bigger concern when we have hurricanes/tropical storms here on Fogo Island, is that where we are positioned on the northeast coast of Newfoundland is about the worst anywhere for ridiculously strong coastal winds, (our house sits only about 75 ft from edge the North Atlantic) and being a 150+ year-old, two-storey house, we always have to wonder just how much punishment it can tolerate before it disintegrates! The year that Hurricane Igor paid us a visit, our house was actually vibrating/rocking as if we were having a major earthquake! And the upstairs was 10x worse... there's no sleeping up there during a hurricane! We have witnessed our coffee table slowly vibrate its way clear across the living room floor, and have also watched our front deck completely lift clear off the ground. Even after living here for years, through a few hurricanes, several tropical storms, and countless 150+ km/h blizzards, you never do get used to it!

But I suppose I might be worrying for nothing, as our humble old abode has somehow managed to stay intact through winds of 175+ km/h, (last year) and we didn't lose so much as a shingle or a piece of siding, when most of our neighbours' homes had unfortunately suffered heavy damage. (though during our last bad storm, the wind actually stripped the paint right off our eaves!)

I will try to report in again tomorrow, but if you don't hear back from me don't be too alarmed... it likely will just mean that our electricity/internet is out. (and there is almost no cell service at our house!)

(the pics were taken using my tablet's subpar camera!)

Good luck! See you on the other side.

Thanks, JillyG and terse! In the past hour, Dorian has increased back up to a Category 2, just as it's about to hit Newfoundland. Now they're calling for "sustained" winds of 117km/h, and history tells us that right here on the coast we can expect our gusts to be 35-50 km/h above the sustained winds... so in the neighbourhood of 152-167 km/h. (or about 95-104 mph.. Yikes!) This should get interesting pretty quickly!

Last edited:
The year that Hurricane Igor paid us a visit, our house was actually vibrating/rocking as if we were having a major earthquake! And the upstairs was 10x worse... there's no sleeping up there during a hurricane! We have witnessed our coffee table slowly vibrate its way clear across the living room floor, and have also watched our front deck completely lift clear off the ground.
our humble old abode has somehow managed to stay intact through winds of 175+ km/h, (last year) and we didn't lose so much as a shingle or a piece of siding
(though during our last bad storm, the wind actually stripped the paint right off our eaves!)
Holy moly!!!! :eek: That sounds horrifying yet strangely exciting/exhilarating. (I’m a closeted storm chaser :whistle: ) I think your bucket ‘o rocks is a great idea.

Stay safe, and as soon as you’re able please pop in and let us know you’re okay (and try to make some videos!! :D )

Wow! Armchair storm chaser here, but that kind of storm would probably scare the crap out of me. Wishing you a safe time of it.

50C92195-EDF6-4470-AE0A-2E051E1D7554.jpeg
[ATTAJust a just a thought....

Wowza. All the best!

My DH is in South Carolina and although they were just off Hilton Head they were far enough inland and the hurricane had dissipated enough that it was just a lot of rain and not too much wind. Sounds like it’s picked up again!

Yeah, our winds maxed out this time at about 115 km/h. We've experienced much worse than this on many occasions since moving to Fogo Island in 2007. And our worst storms aren't usually even during the hurricane season, but in the winter months. Last year we saw winds on Fogo Island reach a whopping 178 km/h, (111 mph) which would be classed as a "Category 3" hurricane had it happened during the hurricane season... but because it was in March, it was just a late-winter storm! (I know, it's kinda silly) Anyway, this time our power and internet stayed on throughout the storm, and aside from a few branches coming off our trees, Dorian was only an inconvenience for us, so we got really lucky this time, when so many others, here in Canada as well as in the USA and elsewhere, have experienced quite a terrible ordeal indeed.

Last year we saw winds on Fogo Island reach a whopping 178 km/h, (111 mph) which would be classed as a "Category 3" hurricane had it happened during the hurricane season... but because it was in March, it was just a late-winter storm!
WOW :eek:

Back
Top Bottom