munichblue

MobiAddict
Real Name
Mike
The Guildhall at the market place.
image.jpeg

The Swan, a very nice and huge hotel.
image.jpeg

Yes, they are! And Lavenham has more well preserved medieval buildings than any other village in the UK. They became a very rich village with the wool trade in the 15th and 16th Century but then there was heavy competition with Dutch refugees who produced better and cheaper clothes. Therefore they hadn't got the money to built newer houses which is a real benefit today. Funny, isn't it?

Yes, they are! And Lavenham has more well preserved medieval buildings than any other village in the UK. They became a very rich village with the wool trade in the 15th and 16th Century but then there was heavy competition with Dutch refugees who produced better and cheaper clothes. Therefore they hadn't got the money to built newer houses which is a real benefit today. Funny, isn't it?

It is funny - they're well preserved because the people were poor. :) Let's hear it for poverty. The timber on the Guildhall is the authentic colour - they were not painted black as some people suppose.

Oh, shall definitely have to go there when I am back in the UK. There is some genealogy research I need to do in the area and I have always wanted to go to Norfolk to go bird watching so could kill two birds... sorry, couldn't resist. :sneaky:

Oh, shall definitely have to go there when I am back in the UK. There is some genealogy research I need to do in the area and I have always wanted to go to Norfolk to go bird watching so could kill two birds... sorry, couldn't resist. :sneaky:

When are you back Ann?

No unfortunately end of September/beginning of October. It might be for as long as a month but not sure yet.

A good time to be in North Norfolk to watch birds. If you want some ideas on where to go or where to stay, let us know. We go there regularly.

Back
Top Bottom