Mindful Photography

Glad you took a look! The Heart of Photography is their (Miriam & John's) second volume. It definitely builds upon the concepts basic to Miksang. There are a few things in the Appendix referring to these. Volume 1 is available through amazon and may be read for free w/Kindle Unlimited. I also see it it available through other distributors. If you wish to pursue, go to goodreads.com and once you get to the title, there's a pull down for options. It appears it has been available through iBooks.
Cheers!

Hey all, thanks for this discussion. Here’s a really lovely video regarding Miksang with Michael Wood. It is a clear and concise introduction to the intention and basic practice. Enjoy!
Thanks for the video Mary. That was really interesting. What I thought was a bit sad though was the man at the end who said that he would never be a great photographer, but ... . And that started another question in my head. What is a great photographer? I think we’ve had discussions about this on Mobitog before and I think it’s different things to different people, or the same things to some people. Is it an irrelevant question? I don’t know.

Thanks for the video Mary. That was really interesting. What I thought was a bit sad though was the man at the end who said that he would never be a great photographer, but ... . And that started another question in my head. What is a great photographer? I think we’ve had discussions about this on Mobitog before and I think it’s different things to different people, or the same things to some people. Is it an irrelevant question? I don’t know.

We’re all so uniquely different and interconnected. For me, it’s firstly about the process.

Is it not just a matter of personal priorities? I wonder if he meant that he realized, like any other pursuit, that it takes a certain amount of time and commitment to be good at anything. Not very many people are interested enough to put in the time and effort. It’s OK just to learn a bit here and there and be happy with whatever you’re doing. He may be more committed to something else he’s really good at, like playing the trombone.
I’m a half decent downhill skier. Been doing it for years, casually. But I’m not enough of an athlete to be a really good skier. And that’s OK. It’s just something I do for fun.
Another aspect of this is that it you can never get to the point where you know everything about a subject. For instance, read this one book and you will know everything that can be known about XX. Hardly anything is like that. No matter how long you live there will still be more to learn about anything that is important to you. It becomes a life long pursuit.
“How to become enlightened” could probably be written down in some number of pages but hardly anyone actually gets there.

Last edited:
Brian said :

‘...one of the main points of mindfulness is being beyond the self...’

If we’re talking Kabat-Zinn, Segal, Teasdale, Thich Nhat Han (the first Western publishers) definition of ‘mindfulness’, the opposite is true.

KZ et al go something like: we experience the world [‘reality’] through (and only through) our five senses. Thought and feeling interpret reality, and these interpretations influence behaviour (the ways we do or respond to reality’).

Mindfulness training teaches us to select and maintain a specific sensory focus on a smell, a sound, a visual, a taste, a felt experience ... And then to do that again. And then to do that again. And then to do that again.

It’s that simple. Repetition of that intentional ‘select and maintain specific sensory focus onrequires learning to ignore or filter out distractions: so a cycle happens- more focus, less distraction, more focus, etc.

“our awareness, senses, and mental focus are active in the “Now””

This above sums up perfectly the Kabat-Zinn version of mindfulness. Except maybe you don’t need all the words. In mindfulness terms, senses and awareness are same thing. Mental focus is part of awareness.

As far as photography is concerned, I’m curious to find out more about Brian’s and Mary’s learnings from these teachers. So far, with what I know — obviously with a psychological framework — I can only imagine ‘mindful photography’ meaning you’re much more aware of what you are looking at and choosing to photograph, and that you’d handle your equipment carefully, attentively — and likewise compose your image.

Here’s the standard definition from KZ:

Mindfulness means paying attention in a particular way: on purpose, in the present moment, and nonjudgmentally​

And one from Thich Nhat Hanh:

Mindfulness shows us what is happening in our bodies, our emotions, our minds, and in the world.
Through mindfulness, we avoid harming ourselves and others.

And a few brief KZ intros from my cache:

https://positivepsychologyprogram.com/what-is-mindfulness-definition/

And some cartoons ditto (I like the Pooh and Tigger one the best):

0ECF0776-44B2-4466-8FF1-F25115F2C6A9.jpeg

Brian said :

‘...one of the main points of mindfulness is being beyond the self...’

If we’re talking Kabat-Zinn, Segal, Teasdale, Thich Nhat Han (the first Western publishers) definition of ‘mindfulness’, the opposite is true.

... I guess I should have been more long winded in my statement. The problem is that for readers not already familiar with the topic it gets difficult as you define the difference between the ego and true self.
I almost wrote the exact same quote from Jon Kabat-Zinn but thought maybe I would wait a while to introduce that.

Mindfulness - paying attention, in a particular way, on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgementally John Kabat Zin

Non-judgementally also means approaching something with curiosity rather than with bias or predetermined feelings, beginners mind.

This morning I chanced to come across a photo from one of my favourite artists and since we’re mentioning various sources of inspiration... why not check out Andy Goldsworthy.
It makes me feel good just knowing there are people like this actually making a living from their art.
I can’t do Andy’s work justice with a few hundred words. Yes, photography is involved, but not always. When it is, the photographs are more like reminders of the day’s creation. Video more often, to document the entire process of creation and sometimes it’s demise.
He works with natural objects, pebbles, rocks, twigs, leaves, pieces of ice, driftwood, and creates ephemeral art - art that is temporary and will disappear when the sun comes out or when the tide comes in.
I remember one of his creations involved wading in the river looking for particular red pebbles. These he ground into dust using another rock. Then he made a paste of the red rock powder with some water and formed into a ball, which he tossed carefully back into the current. Then we witnessed a bloom of red pattern spreading and swirling as the rock paste ball dissolved and the colour spread. Maybe a couple of hours preparation and all over in a few seconds. Performance art for which he was the only person present to enjoy.
I won’t try to claim any links to mindfulness or meditation or whatever. Just joy and wonder.

I, too, find so many of my happy moments involve motion, for which video is the best medium. Often, sound plays an important part. Still photos serve as reminders of the event but don’t come close to capturing the essence of wonder or awe I felt.

Mindfulness doesn't really resonate with me. I thought I might put my take on it here when the thread started but didn't want to be a negative voice in the conversation but as JillyG has mentioned me.... well I don't need much encouragement.

I've had this conversation with my mate at work. She doesn't identify with it either. She reckons it's because we are both already in a place where mindfulness happens without us needing to know about mindfulness practice. She's a runner. What she tells me about running sounds very much like my experience of photography.....only much more exhausting.

Mindfulness doesn't resonate with me but flow does. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

It's not such a different concept. Flow is also about being in the moment. For me though, its almost about being absent rather than present. When I'm on a roll with photography (or anything) my self dissipates and what im doing becomes present in me. I'm almost literally lost in the moment. My self, my sense of 'I', shuts down and the process takes over.

I have this experience mostly with photography, drawing, coding and back in the day when i was a salesman, selling, but it's not limited to those.

An interesting thing happened to me last year a couple of months before I got hit by a bus. I'd been on mobitog maybe a year or more and had increased the amount of photos i took and processed as a consequence by a very large amount. One day I was walking down a passage I'd walked down countless times before and saw it differently. And everything looked subtly different, something about the scale, size, dimensions, I'm not sure and can't really put it in words but it was a qualitative difference. The quality of my visual world had altered somehow in a small but not unimportant way.

I didn't read too much into it at the time, Ive had mind altering experiences before and just chalked this up as interesting. Then I got hit by a bus and the kind of things I thought about on a day to day basis changed for several months.

My non-concious mind didn't let it go though. More than 12 months later, just a couple of weeks ago now, walking down the same passage where my perception had changed my brain shunted the thought into my consciousness that it was probably just a patch of neurons that wouldn't normally talk to my visual system connecting up because of all the extra practice id got from mobitog.

There's no big revelation from this story. For me, I channel photography, I don't do it, it almost does me. I lose my self and become the moment, the act.

I'll leave this with a picture of the eucalyptus tree I've seen every day for 5 years but which a year ago made the unusual firing of some of my neurons made me go "woah! What's going on with that?"

No edit.
View attachment 109170
Since Flow is a word already in common usage I didn’t recognize it had a specific meaning for you. I failed to follow the link you provided which would have helped.
I think Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi did himself a disservice by recycling a word that already had an accepted meaning for his much more expansive concept.
I came across mention of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi just today in a program I’m following about neuroscience and meditation and immediately thought back to your post. Essentially we’re talking about the same thing.
The psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi first coined the word “flow” in the 1970s when he was studying why some people were prepared to give up material goods in favour of the experience of performing enjoyable acts.

When I looked at the list (below) I felt immediate identification with Flow with activities like playing music, downhill skiing, personal photography, and a few others.
Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi suggests meditation as a way to promote flow.
There’s one small point of difference that might be important in that his is talking about the feeling of the state but not the quality of the result. Ideally we want both. To exercise Flow on the path to creative results.

In his book “ Finding Flow - the psychology of finding Flow in Everyday Life” the psychologist Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi says - “The important thing, however, is the attitude towards these disciplines. If one prays in order to be holy, or exercises to develop strong pectoral muscles, or learns to be knowledgeable, then a great deal of the benefit is lost. The important thing is to enjoy the activity for its own sake, and to know that what matters is not the result, but the control one is acquiring over one’s attention.”

Here’s a list of elements that help describe the experience of flow:
1- concentration founded and focused on the present moment.
2- the merging of action and awareness.
3- a loss of reflective self-consciousness.
4- a sense that one can deal with whatever arises in a given situation because ones practice has become a body of implicit embodied knowledge.
5- one’s subjective of time is altered such that the present is continuously unfolding.
6- an experience of the experience as intrinsically rewarding.

Hmmm, does that sound familiar? They all come directly from mindfulness.

“A balance must be struck between the challenge of the task and the skill of the performer. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi

Now if you look at this, and going back to item 4, the same degree of Flow could be experienced by a novice photographer as a master, but the quality of the photos would be very different. It’s based on the “body of implicit embodied knowledge”.
What happens in the studies is when someone meets a challenge beyond their experience level, for instance realizing gvthey don’t know how to do what the want to do, they drop out of Flow. So as long as a person is doing things within their skill range they can remain in Flow.
As an aside, I remember a guitar player who felt he played better after smoking pot. He felt totally at one with his guitar and felt his playing was great. Nobody else agreed however as it sounded like he was playing a jumble of wrong notes. With some trouble he was convinced to give up the pot before playing and his guitar playing immediately improved. So this can be the difference between the feeling the activity gives a person compared to the actual results.

Back
Top Bottom