Oh my g...Oggl! Hipstamatic launches new community

While I like the idea of being able to take a picture and change the effect used how is this going to affect the current app, is going to a subscription base the future and phase out Hipstamatic? They promise new 'Gear' every month whatever that means. Do we really need yet another social site. At this point there are too many unknowns.

Firstly: Jeeeeee....I seriously wonder how the naming-process of the app must have looked like.... Maybe the CEO lost a bet?

While I like the idea of being able to take a picture and change the effect used how is this going to affect the current app, is going to a subscription base the future and phase out Hipstamatic? They promise new 'Gear' every month whatever that means. Do we really need yet another social site. At this point there are too many unknowns.

I hardly doubt that Hipstamatic will be phasing out - even if Oggl proves to be super successful - for multiple reasons:
  • The camera-app has turned into quite the insane cash-cow! Letting it phase out would dramatically reduce the income, since the news would spread like a wildfire, if such a high profile app would turn into "abandonware".
  • The camera-app is generally way too "high-profile" to cut it's support
  • Since the effects of Hipstamatic are created and altered by the interaction of a) lenses b) films c) flashes, it would be WAY too much work to include every possible outcome as filter within Oggl
I much rather think that the general filters of each component (lens, film, flash) will be turned into filters separately. So we probably will be getting something like this:
  • Loftus filter
  • Abby filter
  • Robo Glitter filter
  • etc.
Also the target audience is too "specific" to have such a huge impact on the "main-app", that it would phase out. Oggl seems to be specifically targeting (semi) professionals....and not the general hobby-iPhotographers.

At least that's how I see it ;)

Good points. There are many social photo sites already, Instagram, flickr, tumblr, etc Hipstamatic probably feels they need to 'keep up with the times" or be left behind. I think they are underestimating their product though because the one common denominator between all the photo sharing social sites is everybody uses hipstamatic (well at least everyone with an iPhone ;)) It's to the mobile phone camera what facebook is to the social website world.

I also don't think they really need post ilters because one of the things which seperates hipstamatic from other similar apps is that it's all pre shot selection which makes the magic. There's any number of post editors already available. With the current version it's sort of a gamble and that's part of the fun.

But to be honest....I don't really see a bright future for Oggl...

Main problem (and this might still be subject to change) is the pricing.
So far you can't transfer your IAP's from Hipstamatic to Oggl. So if they decide to not include all available filters in the monthly/yearly subscription, Oggl will feel light an absolute rip-off to all devoted Hipstamatic-users / collectors.
Knowing the pricing-model of the main-app all too well (and the steady flow of $$$$ that comes with it)......chances are good, that they also try to incorporate this model into Oggl (personal opinion).

Another big factor (as already pointed out above):
People are already sick and tired of all the different social sharing platforms popping up....There are far too many already as it is, which certainly will let people think twice, before deciding to join Oggl.

Fact is:
If they mishandle the introduction and the pricing-model of Oggl, then it will harm them more then it will do them good....

Good points. There are many social photo sites already, Instagram, flickr, tumblr, etc Hipstamatic probably feels they need to 'keep up with the times" or be left behind. I think they are underestimating their product though because the one common denominator between all the photo sharing social sites is everybody uses hipstamatic (well at least everyone with an iPhone ;)) It's to the mobile phone camera what facebook is to the social website world.

I also don't think they really need post ilters because one of the things which seperates hipstamatic from other similar apps is that it's all pre shot selection which makes the magic. There's any number of post editors already available. With the current version it's sort of a gamble and that's part of the fun.
I'm like you and probably most that use Hipstamatic, the unpredictable nature is part of the charm and fun of the app along with learning what combo's you like and use.
There are many filter apps out there, l know I own too many of them :)
And yes there are already too many social sites, so why would I pay to be on another? From what I have seen it is $0.99 a month or $10.00 a year

Firstly: Jeeeeee....I seriously wonder how the naming-process of the app must have looked like.... Maybe the CEO lost a bet?

I hardly doubt that Hipstamatic will be phasing out - even if Oggl proves to be super successful - for multiple reasons:
  • The camera-app has turned into quite the insane cash-cow! Letting it phase out would dramatically reduce the income, since the news would spread like a wildfire, if such a high profile app would turn into "abandonware".
  • The camera-app is generally way too "high-profile" to cut it's support
  • Since the effects of Hipstamatic are created and altered by the interaction of a) lenses b) films c) flashes, it would be WAY too much work to include every possible outcome as filter within Oggl
I much rather think that the general filters of each component (lens, film, flash) will be turned into filters separately. So we probably will be getting something like this:
  • Loftus filter
  • Abby filter
  • Robo Glitter filter
  • etc.
Also the target audience is too "specific" to have such a huge impact on the "main-app", that it would phase out. Oggl seems to be specifically targeting (semi) professionals....and not the general hobby-iPhotographers.

At least that's how I see it ;)
I think your right that they would be insane if they got out of their main money maker. But who knows what they are thinking. Only time will tell with this new venture of theirs. And I too wonder where they came up with that name....

When the ancient Egyptian Pharaohs went to into battle they carried a servant in their chariots whose sole job was to whisper in the Pharoah's ear reminding him that he wasn't a god and not infallible (at least that's what my foggy historical recollection recalls). I think that servant fell off Hipstamatic's chariot a while back. :D

I think your right that they would be insane if they got out of their main money maker. But who knows what they are thinking. Only time will tell with this new venture of theirs. And I too wonder where they came up with that name....
Well it does sound a little bit like Google when it rolls off the tongue and Goigle has the "Midas touch" wink:

Well when all is said and done I, for one, will not be joining!
For the following reasons:
1) why do I need to join another social network?
2) why must I pay to join another social network?

... and, most importantly ...

We don't need another social network, we've got MobiTog!!!

Well when all is said and done I, for one, will not be joining!
For the following reasons:
1) why do I need to join another social network?
2) why must I pay to join another social network?

... and, most importantly ...

We don't need another social network, we've got MobiTog!!!

Yup...same here...

I seriously do not get their management-heads AT ALL...

Why should people pay for a social media sharing platform, when so many others offer this service for free (with already established, big communities...and picture editors in their apps).
And a "Hipstamatic-filter editor" also goes more or less completely against what the Hipstamatic camera app stands for......delving into the multitude of possible gear-combinations to find nice ones for your shots....rather than just slapping a filter over a picture and be done with it...

Well I've signed up for an invite, mainly because I like to see what something's like before I condemn it out of hand. I don't hold out a lot of hope. Hipstamatic-D is still a clear and painful memory. ;)

Well I've signed up for an invite, mainly because I like to see what something's like before I condemn it out of hand. I don't hold out a lot of hope. Hipstamatic-D is still a clear and painful memory. ;)
And what was Hipstamatic-D? Before my time as I have not heard about it before. I think it was also mentioned in Marty's article.

"D" was the disposable, right?
And how did they implement the disposability?! Did you have to re-install the app after each picture you shot?! :rolleyes:

Of course you knew if you were going to say nothing that I was just going to search for it :D
After reading, I'm not sure how smart Hipstamatic management is...

"D" was the disposable, right?
And how did they implement the disposability?! Did you have to re-install the app after each picture you shot?! :rolleyes:
From reading the app came with 3 effects/lens or whatever they called them these you could take as many rolls with as you liked ie unlimited. Other effect/lenses were $0.99 and I am not sure haw many rolls it came with but once you are done with those you have to pay for more rolls. I read somewhere that it was $0.99 for 10 shots, $1.99 for 25 and $2.99 or $3.99 for 99 shots. Apparently some of the additional packs were unlimited also.
You could not look at the pictures until that roll is done. There are other apps that work the same way where you have to take 36 pictures before you can look at them.
The roll could be used by a number of people but again nobody can peek till it is finished.
Resolution was really poor at 600x600

People seem to be quite bitter about paying for something then being charged again to be able to continue to use it. People kept bringing up their failed Family Album so I will have to see what I can find about it.

Hipstamatic seems to have had a more checked past then I was aware of.

From reading the app came with 3 effects/lens or whatever they called them these you could take as many rolls with as you liked ie unlimited. Other effect/lenses were $0.99 and I am not sure haw many rolls it came with but once you are done with those you have to pay for more rolls. I read somewhere that it was $0.99 for 10 shots, $1.99 for 25 and $2.99 or $3.99 for 99 shots. Apparently some of the additional packs were unlimited also.
You could not look at the pictures until that roll is done. There are other apps that work the same way where you have to take 36 pictures before you can look at them.
The roll could be used by a number of people but again nobody can peek till it is finished.
Resolution was really poor at 600x600

People seem to be quite bitter about paying for something then being charged again to be able to continue to use it. People kept bringing up their failed Family Album so I will have to see what I can find about it.

Hipstamatic seems to have had a more checked past then I was aware of.

Yep....just like they are bitter about how they ripped people off with their unloved stepchild "Swanko Lab"...cashing in $ 4,00 and then letting it die slowly...

Yep....just like they are bitter about how they ripped people off with their unloved stepchild "Swanko Lab"...cashing in $ 4,00 and then letting it die slowly...
You know, I did look at getting it but I began to see all the bad press from users that were ticked because it has not been updated etc so I have not got it. Last I saw it was $2 but for something they are not working on...

I'm surprised that BethBikes hasn't commented yet :)

You know, I did look at getting it but I began to see all the bad press from users that were ticked because it has not been updated etc so I have not got it. Last I saw it was $2 but for something they are not working on...

I'm surprised that BethBikes hasn't commented yet :)

The worst part....that app has such a huge potential....

It's $ 2,00 initial cost + $ 2,00 for all current + future acids (IAP) btw...
They probably thought that the possible income from the app would be subpar, since they can't milk it with additional IAP's....so decided to let it die off.

Yeah, 99¢ per month isn't much, but when the other sharing sites are free, I'm not sure how this model will succeed. Still, I'm chomping at the bit to jump in and give it go. The "Tap to Preview" features may be ok for some, but that feature is NOT appealing to the pure Hipstamatic shooters, who I believe are the majority of the Hipstamatic community. Just sent my request to Hipstamatic for an invite. Time to re-read everyone's posts again.

Sent from my iPhone using MobiTog mobile app

The worst part....that app has such a huge potential....

It's $ 2,00 initial cost + $ 2,00 for all current + future acids (IAP) btw...
They probably thought that the possible income from the app would be subpar, since they can't milk it with additional IAP's....so decided to let it die off.
Wasn't aware that there were in-app in it, good to know but yes, such a shame.

Swankolab is still around and at least they upgraded it a few months back. Hipsta-D is dead and gone.

Back
Top Bottom