Photo from negatives

Mat

MobiStar
Real Name
Mat
Whilst searching in my loft I've come across a box of old negatives, after a bit of googling I've found a way to view them using an iPhone. Well two phones actually.

1. Use a back light to produce a background bright enough to view negative
2. Place negative on I phone screen
3. With my other phone go to setting>general >accessibility >invert colours
4. Use this to view negative as a positive
5. Save and edit

This is as far a I've got, can any of my fellow mobitog folk help me get a decent photo from this , below is my best result, using Photoshop touch ,
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422194304.043930.jpg

Any help appreciated, many thanks
Mat

Okay, so I was incredibly excited when I saw this post because I have a small scanner that I paid about £100 for because I wanted to scan in all my negatives before I came to Hong Kong. I scanned in most but brought the rest with me to scan here. However, I have searched and searched for my scanner and can't find it and have been wanting to check some of my negatives.

So I thought I would give your process a go. Firstly, the problem with scanning it on another phone (I used an iPad) is that it causes all those squares. Also, I felt like I couldn't get close enough so I added my olloclip x 10 macro lens and voila it was a lot better - the squares were smaller. If the negative is a slight distance from the screen then you eliminate the squares. I have negative holders from my scanner and think I will try that next. However, a better solution might be to set up a light table with a piece of glass and a lamp underneath.

I downloaded your picture and although I can improve the contrast and lighting using Snapseed, the squares remain. I tried simplifying it in iColorama and using edges to bring back definition but it gives it a more painterly look and it no longer looks like a photograph.

My set-up:

1) I created a 'white' photograph by going into iColorama and choosing a blank template which I saved.
2) I then brought this up on my iPad and put the negative on it. I then got my guerilla pod and placed the iphone directly above. I don't have a spirit level so I had to guess whether it was straight. A spirit level would improve overall sharpness I have no doubt. I used the app Camera+ with the high resolution TIFF option so that I would get a high quality picture and this definitely made a difference compared with some of my quick native app attempts. As Mat mentioned, I inverted the colours on the iPad (sorry, correction iPhone) by going to General>Accessibility. This means that you see the proper picture through your camera.
3) The pictures are however taken as a negative so I took them into Photoshop Touch and inverted them using the adjustments controls.

Below is my set up. You can just see the negative at the bottom of the ipad screen. The actual picture you see on the iphone is what the camera is seeing on the negative (one of the boat).

setup.jpg

Here are some of my examples with the macro lens. There is some blurring at the edges which is probably caused by the fact that the negative is not flat and may also be the macro lens. If you look carefully you can see little squares on the boat pictures because the negative was concave up on the screen. When it was concave down (edges touching but not middle), there are no squares:

IMG_6802.JPG
IMG_6803.JPG
IMG_6804.JPG
IMG_6805.JPG

I improved the photos slightly in Snapseed using Tune-Up but see that I could have put up the warmth as they are looking awfully blue and a little light! Also some of the negatives needed a good dusting. The pictures were about 8Mbytes each but I have reduced them to only about 100kbytes for posting purposes. I can put up higher quality if anybody is interested.

The original picture was taken with an ordinary instamatic camera in the middle 80s.

Just out of interest this is one of the pictures I scanned in using my scanner (which admittedly is not high end) and I think that the iphone version is sharper when I compare them side by side which was a big surprise.

hike.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! I thought I was going to be carted off to the looney bin until
Image art replied!
I've tried your tip by raising the negative to try to get rid of the squares and it helps , also using best settings and on tiff also helps , now I've got a better file to us I will try for a print at the local isnaps.

Maybe you have a slide projector at hand? Put the negatives into those little frames and project them onto a white wall or similar. You should be able to make bright and sharp images from the slides.

Okay, so I was incredibly excited when I saw this post because I have a small scanner that I paid about £100 for because I wanted to scan in all my negatives before I came to Hong Kong. I scanned in most but brought the rest with me to scan here. However, I have searched and searched for my scanner and can't find it and have been wanting to check some of my negatives.

So I thought I would give your process a go. Firstly, the problem with scanning it on another phone (I used an iPad) is that it causes all those squares. Also, I felt like I couldn't get close enough so I added my olloclip x 10 macro lens and voila it was a lot better - the squares were smaller. If the negative is a slight distance from the screen then you eliminate the squares. I have negative holders from my scanner and think I will try that next. However, a better solution might be to set up a light table with a piece of glass and a lamp underneath.

I downloaded your picture and although I can improve the contrast and lighting using Snapseed, the squares remain. I tried simplifying it in iColorama and using edges to bring back definition but it gives it a more painterly look and it no longer looks like a photograph.

My set-up:

1) I created a 'white' photograph by going into iColorama and choosing a blank template which I saved.
2) I then brought this up on my iPad and put the negative on it. I then got my guerilla pod and placed the iphone directly above. I don't have a spirit level so I had to guess whether it was straight. A spirit level would improve overall sharpness I have no doubt. I used the app Camera+ with the high resolution TIFF option so that I would get a high quality picture and this definitely made a difference compared with some of my quick native app attempts. As Mat mentioned, I inverted the colours on the iPad (sorry, correction iPhone) by going to General>Accessibility. This means that you see the proper picture through your camera.
3) The pictures are however taken as a negative so I took them into Photoshop Touch and inverted them using the adjustments controls.

Below is my set up. You can just see the negative at the bottom of the ipad screen. The actual picture you see on the iphone is what the camera is seeing on the negative (one of the boat).

View attachment 62177

Here are some of my examples with the macro lens. There is some blurring at the edges which is probably caused by the fact that the negative is not flat and may also be the macro lens. If you look carefully you can see little squares on the boat pictures because the negative was concave up on the screen. When it was concave down (edges touching but not middle), there are no squares:

View attachment 62178 View attachment 62179 View attachment 62180 View attachment 62181
I improved the photos slightly in Snapseed using Tune-Up but see that I could have put up the warmth as they are looking awfully blue and a little light! Also some of the negatives needed a good dusting. The pictures were about 8Mbytes each but I have reduced them to only about 100kbytes for posting purposes. I can put up higher quality if anybody is interested.

The original picture was taken with an ordinary instamatic camera in the middle 80s.

Just out of interest this is one of the pictures I scanned in using my scanner (which admittedly is not high end) and I think that the iphone version is sharper when I compare them side by side which was a big surprise.

View attachment 62182
That's a great set-up! I think they turned out really good... I keep saying I'm going to get a Gorilla Pod but have yet to do it...

My set-up:

View attachment 62177

View attachment 62178 View attachment 62179 View attachment 62180 View attachment 62181

View attachment 62182
A fabulous piece of ingenuity Ann and what great images you produced from those negatives. The photo of Boesmanskloof made me think. Would that be Bushmanskloof in English? We stayed for a week at the Bushmanskloof Wilderness Resort in Clanwilliam for Rog's 50th birthday. What an amazing place. The scenery was breathtaking, but the story of the bushmen was a sad one. Hunted like animals to extinction by the settlers. The cave paintings were magical.

A fabulous piece of ingenuity Ann and what great images you produced from those negatives. The photo of Boesmanskloof made me think. Would that be Bushmanskloof in English? We stayed for a week at the Bushmanskloof Wilderness Resort in Clanwilliam for Rog's 50th birthday. What an amazing place. The scenery was breathtaking, but the story of the bushmen was a sad one. Hunted like animals to extinction by the settlers. The cave paintings were magical.
OMG, did you? It's not a well known place and yes absolutely lovely. Yes, the translation is correct. Your comment threw me at first because I was sure I hadn't mentioned where we were and then of course I remembered the sign was in the photo.

You are right. The story of the Bushmen is truly sad. They were the real original inhabitants of the Cape and very special people with special gifts for living in the wild. The settlers could have learnt a lot from them if they had valued their civilisation.

Back
Top Bottom