MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
I’ve had a request for this image from a friend to hang on her wall. I am having an AWFUL time getting the web to pop. It looks great on the screen but fades out in printing. I’ve used Snapseed selective tool to brighten it but it doesn’t brighten in printing. Any suggestions?
IMG_0090.jpeg

I’ve had a request for this image from a friend to hang on her wall. I am having an AWFUL time getting the web to pop. It looks great on the screen but fades out in printing. I’ve used Snapseed selective tool to brighten it but it doesn’t brighten in printing. Any suggestions?
View attachment 197769
Wonder if it would print better in B&W?

Wonder if it would print better in B&W?
You may be on to something. I have used Snapseed to further darken the surrounding area and lighten up the web even more. Then I added a vignette, too. I haven’t had a chance to try it out. One thing I discovered was that the printer app has an auto correct setting. I also disabled that.

View attachment 197769
Can't think why I didn't see this until just now. Did you ever solve the problem? If not, my first question would be what papers you had on hand to try.

Can't think why I didn't see this until just now. Did you ever solve the problem? If not, my first question would be what papers you had on hand to try.
I got it better. I darkened the other areas and kicked up the brightness of the web in Snapseed. Also added a bit of a vignette. I never thought about the paper. I wound up using a Staples Luster sort of paper. I lost the box, just have the plastic inside with the paper. I also have Koala satin paper and a sample pack from Red River. Is there a type that might work better. I haven’t sent the photos out yet.

I got it better. I darkened the other areas and kicked up the brightness of the web in Snapseed. Also added a bit of a vignette. I never thought about the paper. I wound up using a Staples Luster sort of paper. I lost the box, just have the plastic inside with the paper. I also have Koala satin paper and a sample pack from Red River. Is there a type that might work better. I haven’t sent the photos out yet.
In general, glossier papers are more contrasty, though there are exceptions, and some papers are a brighter white than others. (There's often a number measuring brightness on the back side of the paper package.) It's one of the reasons I have such a large variety of papers on my shelves (or so I tell myself). :rolleyes:

In general, glossier papers are more contrasty, though there are exceptions, and some papers are a brighter white than others. (There's often a number measuring brightness on the back side of the paper package.) It's one of the reasons I have such a large variety of papers on my shelves (or so I tell myself). :rolleyes:
I’m not a fan of glossy. I’ve just checked and none of the papers have numbers. The Red RIver paper is a variety pack and came with a description. I guess you read it then figure out for yourself which is which. I will say there is a wide variety of textural difference between them.
IMG_0725.jpeg

I guess the other papers listed are comparable?

I’m not a fan of glossy. I’ve just checked and none of the papers have numbers. The Red RIver paper is a variety pack and came with a description. I guess you read it then figure out for yourself which is which. I will say there is a wide variety of textural difference between them.
View attachment 198039
I should learn to check my memory before posting things in public. I looked through my paper stack, and most of the boxes don't have the brightness number printed on them. You could probably dig it up for each one by searching the web, but it'd be quicker just to print and compare samples.

I have a Red River sample pack also, and it has the name of each paper printed on each sheet at the bottom. (They only do that for sample packs, of course.) In other cases, it's a good idea to keep the box.

EDIT: Oh, one more tip. Papers are always (at least, almost always) packed in the box with the printable side up. If you pull the paper out and lose track of the printable side, you can find it by slightly moistening your finger and touching each side of the sheet at the edge. The printable side will be slightly sticky.

Yes. You'll probably also need to use that if your Print dialog wants a media setting or something similar. So, for example, when I print using RR Palo Duro SoftGloss Rag on my Canon Pro-10, I set the ICC color profile to the SoftGloss Rag profile I have and set the media to Canon Semi-Gloss.

I should learn to check my memory before posting things in public. I looked through my paper stack, and most of the boxes don't have the brightness number printed on them. You could probably dig it up for each one by searching the web, but it'd be quicker just to print and compare samples.

I have a Red River sample pack also, and it has the name of each paper printed on each sheet at the bottom. (They only do that for sample packs, of course.) In other cases, it's a good idea to keep the box.

EDIT: Oh, one more tip. Papers are always (at least, almost always) packed in the box with the printable side up. If you pull the paper out and lose track of the printable side, you can find it by slightly moistening your finger and touching each side of the sheet at the edge. The printable side will be slightly sticky.
I took the time this morning to look at the Red River paper. I’m going to have to do some research as to what sort of image would work best on which kind of paper. I’m struck by the texture and thickness of some of the sheets. Almost like canvas or watercolor paper. I’ll probably print the web on the same paper as the other image that my friend wanted is printed on. She’s going to do a grouping and I think they’d look better on the same paper. Of course what do I know?

I’ll probably print the web on the same paper as the other image that my friend wanted is printed on. She’s going to do a grouping and I think they’d look better on the same paper. Of course what do I know?
That sounds like a good idea. I think the strands of the web will come through better on a smooth paper than a textured one. The textured ones would look good with some of your collages, though.

That sounds like a good idea. I think the strands of the web will come through better on a smooth paper than a textured one. The textured ones would look good with some of your collages, though.
You’ve gone and got me all excited about printing on these different papers. Like I need another obsession.
:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom