MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
Here's a good video tutorial by Teela about printing from Procreate on actual watercolor paper (rather than inkjet paper). It also demonstrates some embellishments added after the print, including using a water brush to heighten the watercolor look. (One advantage of using real watercolor paper is that it's generally cheaper than watercolor-style inkjet paper.)

Here's a good video tutorial by Teela about printing from Procreate on actual watercolor paper (rather than inkjet paper). It also demonstrates some embellishments added after the print, including using a water brush to heighten the watercolor look. (One advantage of using real watercolor paper is that it's generally cheaper than watercolor-style inkjet paper.)

Very interesting. I’ve tried fabric. I used muslin and the images were not very sharp. I haven’t tried any other sort of fabric. Just yesterday I saw a video by Mark Yeates, (I watched about 20, reallly) and he printed on deli paper for use in collage. I’m going to give that a try today. I can see how printing on some good quality watercolor paper would be pretty nice.

I have done a few of the Tuesday with Teela tutes. She does a good job.

Very interesting. I’ve tried fabric. I used muslin and the images were not very sharp. I haven’t tried any other sort of fabric. Just yesterday I saw a video by Mark Yeates, (I watched about 20, reallly) and he printed on deli paper for use in collage. I’m going to give that a try today. I can see how printing on some good quality watercolor paper would be pretty nice.

I have done a few of the Tuesday with Teela tutes. She does a good job.
She does. The pacing is good, and there's little-to-no fluff. (And this from someone who doesn't especially like video tutorials.) She's using a dye ink printer, so I'm wonder if it will also work with my pigment ink printer or if I'll have to steal time on Lorraine's dye printer.

How did you feed the muslin through the printer? Were you using some kind of backing? I hadn't thought of directly printing on fabric (though I've done some transfers) because I imagine the fabric ending up as a snarled wad inside the printer.

She does. The pacing is good, and there's little-to-no fluff. (And this from someone who doesn't especially like video tutorials.) She's using a dye ink printer, so I'm wonder if it will also work with my pigment ink printer or if I'll have to steal time on Lorraine's dye printer.

How did you feed the muslin through the printer? Were you using some kind of backing? I hadn't thought of directly printing on fabric (though I've done some transfers) because I imagine the fabric ending up as a snarled wad inside the printer.
I used freezer paper. This was ages ago and I had to cut freezer paper to 81/2x11. (and the fabric, too) You iron the fabric to the freezer paper (shiny side) and put it through. This worked on an older printer, when I upgraded the printer wouldn’t accept it, too thick I think. Now that I’ve upgraded again and this printer takes some pretty thick stuff. I also have purchased 8 1/2 x 11 freezer paper. Who knew? I’m going to iron the deli paper to the freezer paper. I‘ll try some fabric again, I have some scrapes. As long as I’m at it I may as well put some watercolor paper through. What the worst that can happen? :rolleyes:

I have spent a most enjoyable afternoon pushing my printer to its limits. I ironed deli paper and an onto freezer paper. The deli paper is 10x7 so the freezer paper did hang over a bit. The iron got a bit of residue from the shiny stuff on the freezer paper. I wiped it off with water and that seemed to clean up the iron nicely. The paper went through the printer just fine. I did send them through one at a time.
IMG_9986.jpeg

I ironed a piece of the freezer paper onto white cotton fabric then cut the fabric to the size of the paper. Again it did go through the printer just fine. I used some graphics that are copyright free from The Graphics Fairy.
IMG_1591.jpeg
Removal of the deli paper was very difficult. I wound up using a palette knife to slip between the papers. I went very slowly, still some rips occurred. The fabric peeled right off.

After all is done, the point of this is to use the deli prints in collage. With inkjet ink not exactly water proof, I decided to use some gel medium to see if it would hold up.
IMG_9987.jpeg

Nope. I flipped out over to see if I could stick it face down with too much running. A big no that way, too . Meh, it was fun anyway.

I wanted to follow Teela’s video to try out the water color paper. I have the images prepped in Procreate and will try that tomorrow.

I have spent a most enjoyable afternoon pushing my printer to its limits. I ironed deli paper and an onto freezer paper. The deli paper is 10x7 so the freezer paper did hang over a bit. The iron got a bit of residue from the shiny stuff on the freezer paper. I wiped it off with water and that seemed to clean up the iron nicely. The paper went through the printer just fine. I did send them through one at a time.
View attachment 196263
I ironed a piece of the freezer paper onto white cotton fabric then cut the fabric to the size of the paper. Again it did go through the printer just fine. I used some graphics that are copyright free from The Graphics Fairy.
View attachment 196264
Removal of the deli paper was very difficult. I wound up using a palette knife to slip between the papers. I went very slowly, still some rips occurred. The fabric peeled right off.

After all is done, the point of this is to use the deli prints in collage. With inkjet ink not exactly water proof, I decided to use some gel medium to see if it would hold up.
View attachment 196265
Nope. I flipped out over to see if I could stick it face down with too much running. A big no that way, too . Meh, it was fun anyway.

I wanted to follow Teela’s video to try out the water color paper. I have the images prepped in Procreate and will try that tomorrow.
Maybe you could get away with attaching just the leading edge of the deli paper to the backing paper?

Maybe you could get away with attaching just the leading edge of the deli paper to the backing paper?
That would probably work, the fabric didn’t attach on the bottom and worked fine. I treated the rest of that one deli paper with a fixative. If that doesn’t smear, I’ll give it a shot. If it’s going to smear when I use the matte medium on it, it’s not really usuable. I wonder if Staples would mind if I tried putting deli paper on freezer paper through their laser printer. :D

The good news is my fixative worked. The fixed deli print didn’t run or smear with the matte medium. The bad news is, while the top only affixed deli paper went through the printer, it didn’t print properly where it wasn’t adhered.
IMG_9995.jpeg

Fortunately I recently purchased “wet strength” tissue paper. It’s more cloth like and I believe it will easily come off the freezer paper. I haven’t tried the water color paper thing yet. I turns out all my paper is mixed media. Not sure,but I don’t think it’s as absorbing or textured.

Bookmarked that one!

Well, now we know. I haven't seen anything quite like that before, but I'd guess the top layer lifted up from the bottom layer down the middle there?
that’s what I’m thinking. I am amazed at this printer (hope I’m not jinxing myself :oops: ) I’ve had for several months and have yet to refill the inks.

Back
Top Bottom