B&W RESULT:#08 Black & White Challenge

Snapseed.
tmp_23903-IMG_20170124_202537031-01609179116.jpeg

Are you dangling about on dangerous streets again Rizole? What's that car been up to? Dumping a body? Drug dealing? Getting an Indian takeaway? Lovely atmospheric image.:):thumbs:
Not that dangerous, this is rural Yorkshire. The car probably got ditched by a joy riding sheep. They sound dangerous but are rubbish at steering due to the hooves.

Besides SnapSeed? Monokrom, Blackie, Lenka, Hipstamatic, Dramatic B&W -- everyone posting in this thread would know more than I do about B&W conversion. Venomator Chris Wadsworth terse lkbside Tomliw @everyoneelse?

zenjenny, i mean with snapseed.

Yah yah I'm not clear. I mean, what do u do when u process the color photos, before u turn it into amazing b/w photo? What tools in snapseed do u use?

I'm asking because I rarely edit with a color photos.

Thanks zenjenny :) good to know if u think like that.. sometimes i want "tobe" like others: clean, clear & simple b/w...with no shadow/silhouette hehe...

Btw, i saw many use Snapseed to edit b/w like me. And mostly from color photos. Any suggestions which tools best to use on color photos before convert it into b/w? (Admin, if there is any suitable threads for this, let me know). Thanks.

I always use Snapseed first, basic editing there then I convert it to BW using Dramatic BW, mainly because Snapseed doesn't give me the look I'm after with its BW filters. Sometimes use VSCO's BW filters but not often. I have Blackie on my phone, I keep trying it but I'm not yet a fan, I must keep trying it.

Reactions: sck

Yah yah I'm not clear. I mean, what do u do when u process the color photos, before u turn it into amazing b/w photo? What tools in snapseed do u use?

Snapseed tools?

Normally reduce highlights, boost shadows and contrast and add a bit of structure

I always use Snapseed first, basic editing there then I convert it to BW using Dramatic BW, mainly because Snapseed doesn't give me the look I'm after with its BW filters. Sometimes use VSCO's BW filters but not often. I have Blackie on my phone, I keep trying it but I'm not yet a fan, I must keep trying it.
What I've not figured out yet is whether desaturating the photo before other processing or after it makes a difference to the outcome. Is colour independent of brightness?

I use ambience, adjust lights and darks, add a bit of structure, sometimes tonal contrast.

Reactions: sck
I use ambience, adjust lights and darks, add a bit of structure, sometimes tonal contrast.

What do u do with ambience? Up or down?

Btw, i ever saw a tutorial (maybe snapseed 's) that said u can adjust to max the ambience & highlight then opt use hdr filter to get a dramatic b/w photos...

What I've not figured out yet is whether desaturating the photo before other processing or after it makes a difference to the outcome. Is colour independent of brightness?
Answering my own question, I did some testing. Looks like colour is mostly independent of brightness if You're only doing minor adjustments on brightness and clarity but anything that changes the colour and saturation has a knock on effect to your black and white processing.
I now have 10 slightly different black or white sleeping child's ears on my phone.
tmp_26478-IMG_20170129_100045824_HDR-02-862583008.jpeg

What do u do with ambience? Up or down?

Btw, i ever saw a tutorial (maybe snapseed 's) that said u can adjust to max the ambience & highlight then opt use hdr filter to get a dramatic b/w photos...
Depends on the picture and the effect I want. Down tends to give more contrast and more drama. Up tends to lift detail but flattens the contrast between highs and lows.

I often like high ambiance and HDR together for a bit of drama too.

Here I am !!!!

It's not been easy to choose as There are so much good iMage on those challenges.

So my winner for this week is Chris Wadsworth with "Catch" [emoji3]
Love the composition and the edit. It's lovely !

Catch
08AE7724-81BF-46E3-A95C-015BC59D9545-1308-0000016ED22104E2_tmp.jpg

I also like 2 others iMages :
- ikbside with "Rio Grande open Space" - for it's composition, details and Nice shadows
- Rizole with "Don't tell the one ..." - very Nice portrait and Life scene around these two ladies.

Well done to all of You!!!!

See You next week [emoji3]

Last edited by a moderator:
Here I am !!!!

It's not been easy to choose as There are so much good iMage on those challenges.

So my winner for this week is Chris Wadsworth Chris with "Catch" [emoji3]

Catch
View attachment 87968

- ikbside with "Rio Grande open Space" - for it's composition, details and Nice shadows
- Rizole with "Don't tell the one ..." - very Nice portrait and Life scene around these two ladies.

Well done Sandra on your first (won't be the last) judging. Congratulations Chris - that was a standout image in every regard. Slaps on the back for Leslie and Rizole - both great images. And handshakes all round to all that posted - you make this challenge great!

Right, I'm now off down that oak-floored corridor to the black and white gallery to hang Chris's lovely image.

The new #09 B&W Challenge is here.

Here I am !!!!

Catch
View attachment 87968

A clear win, great pic. Thanks for the honourable mention.

Here I am !!!!

Catch
View attachment 87968

Thanks for the mention! Congrats Chris and Rizole!

Great choices Sandra! Super congrats Chris - that's a beautiful image. [emoji1360][emoji173]

[emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376] to Leslie and Rizole!

Here I am !!!!

Catch
View attachment 87968

Many thanks for selecting my photo, and thank you all for the kind words about it. Congratulations to ikbside and Rizole, great photos.

Looking forward to seeing next weeks work

Here I am !!!!

Catch
View attachment 87968

Thank you for stepping up and selecting an excellent choice for this week Sandra... :thumbs:

And congratulations to Chris Wadsworth for a worthy first place and lkbside, Leslie & rizole for their supporting selections... :notworthy:

Once again an awesome collection of entries from our MobiB&W participants, some outstanding entires again, thank you for playing... :D

I took the AncestryDNA test. I have over 10,000 DNA matches stretching out to 8th cousins! I'll never get around to following up on all those. I'll loan you some of my cousins, Chris. BTW, congratulations on your winning photo.

If these cousins are American would that entitle me to live in the USA, a nice quiet town in Maine would suit me nicely.

Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom