APPstract RESULT: #11: R E D

image.jpeg

Category 3: Aesthetics: (beauty, meanings conveyed) (LovelyMarge )

LovelyMarge said:

INTERPRETATIONS OF AESTHETHICS:

Sooooo....I wanted to look first the definition of the word aesthethics to make easiear my choosing through all the photos (since it was extremely hard).

Aesthetics (/ɛsˈθɛtɪks/; also spelled æsthetics and esthetics also known in Greek as Αισθητική, or "Aisthētiké") is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of art, beauty, and taste, with the creation and appreciation of beauty.

Given this...

Third Place

mwolfer : Red Leaf (it had no tittle but the photo had a red leaf XD)

Really good composition and really nice way of making the leaf standing out from the background.

image.jpeg

Second Place

terse : Not Red

Very good symmetry of the subject and also great composition. Making the door the center and beign so simplistic (without the having many objects inside the photo) it made the color red painting pop up ...Also really nice sharp and detailled photo.

image.jpeg

First Place

RoseCat : Red Shoes

Excellent photo. Love the simplistic beauty of your composition, the softness of the colors and the way you made the color of the shoes be the main character. Awesome photo.

image.jpeg

Love all the photosss and all are sooo artistic this was so dificult haha

Category 2: Interpretation/s of set theme (execution of ideas, invocation of meaning/s) (FotoLumos)

@
FotoLumos said:

Well this was incredibly challenging! So many stunning images and so varied in scope. It was like comparing apples to oranges (or chalk to cheese, as my Aussie acting coach liked to say). I really had to rein in my ADD so as not to have multiple pages of winners!

INTERPRETATION OF THEME

1st Runner Up
Philippe Schlossberg: Untitled Lady in Red

Such an evocative (and provocative) image. All the elements combine to create a sultry, lightly lurid ambiance, like a red light district.

image.jpeg

2nd Runner Up
zenjenny : Another Step Toward Persephone

This was my favorite of the series. I'm intrigued by the study of feminine archetype through the color red. I see many aspects of that within this piece - bold lines, soft curves, a wash of rose red, a slash of blood red, and of course, that pomegranate.

image.jpeg

WINNER
GroovyGouvy : "When Red Turns To Past"

So clever! I love the use of opposites in art. What a brilliant and unique interpretation to use the opposite of red - cyan- as the predominant color. And I love the tongue in cheek interpretation that this piece must also be *read* to be fully appreciated. Extra credit for finding so many words ending in "red" to fill out the composition!

image.jpeg

1. Artistic/Appstract ingenuity, creativity & skill (Jen)

It was quite educational for me to browse through the #Red images trying to focus only on 'ingenuity and skill with art/apps'.

As with a lot of artistry, sometimes the ingenuity and skill is unmistakeable, larger than life, in your face: "how in !%!}! Did s/he do that???" Sometimes the ingenuity and skill is precisely in the fact that you have to look for it - "that looks so simple, but . . ." And everywhere in between.

And how do you value one over another?? Well, as I keep reminding myself, this isn't the Tate. So here's what 'Artistic/Appstract ingenuity, creativity & skill' looked to me in this series:

First Hon Mention: Glenton and terse for their joint efforts with Rodolfo's GlenRed.

Rodolfo's self-portrait already had an impressive app-history. But when Rodolfo ran into trouble removing a pesky purple fringe, he and Ted put their heads together and discovered a solution in Instaflash Pro's Color EQ controls. They've kindly posted a summary of their efforts here.

This may not be the most conventional use of the terms 'ingenuity' in an art challenge, but hey -- today *I* get to choose! So this mention is with thanks to Rodolfo and Ted, and in appreciation of their example of the best of MobiTog. (Plus it's a pretty cool and nicely-apped portrait, Rodolfo!)

I think Rodolfo put it best himself: "This moment represent one of the most distinctive seal of Mobitog fellows: friendship, the spirit of collaboration and knowledge share".

image.jpeg

Second Hon Mention: Jasongag Scotch Party in my Mouth: I Love Bangkok

I picture Jason like the archetypal mad scientist, papers everywhere across the desk and the room, blackboard (the archetype precedes whiteboards let alone PPS) filled with strange hieroglyphics, scribbling and scrabbling madly, muttering under his breath - everything apparently in disarray...

And then voilá . . . Something emerges - something complete and meaningful and beautiful. Sometimes you have to know how to look - and I love that Jason will do that, too - draw the map, show the intersections, point to the threads and paradoxes and juxtapositions of culture and myth and other forms of language.

It could've been any one of your pieces, Jason, but this one spoke to me particularly because of the multiplicities of visual [see above re threads etc] elements, covering so many polarities of the western psyche (for want of a better word), that you painted and apped and circular'd and in other ways transmogrified into one coherent cohesive image.

(Excuse all the cultural studies lingo -- a girl gets a bit excited when she hasn't seen simulacra in a coupla years and she's suddenly faced with an image like this)

image.jpeg

Winner of category 1: Artistic/Appstract ingenuity, creativity & skill
FundyBrian: Time Bomb

From one extreme to another: I see the skill and ingenuity in this piece mainly in its under-statedness.

"Shot with the iPhone 6 camera, zoomed antique clock picture made with SlowShutter and iPhone on glide rail. Some Instaflash Pro, Stackables, iColorama"

I chose this image because of the artistry evident in its crafting from the ground up, sotospeak. The use of zoom and glide rail - ie in the original capture, and then the different types of post-processing in the three apps Brian chose to complete his piece. I see a bit of every type of artistry in this piece - 'mechanical', adjustments to the size and focus, light and blur (?) -- and then the textured and painterly touches that turn the piece into an image that makes me wonder... 'How did he...?'

image.jpeg

OVERALL WINNER LoA #10 R E D (FotoLumos)

FotoLumos says:
1st Runner Up: @FundyBrian: Mushroom Top

This could easily be an abstract painting, hanging in a gallery or a NASA photo of some galaxy far, far away. Surprise - its a mushroom! Such a cool, unexpected way to look at something most people step on without even noticing.

image.jpeg

2nd Runner Up
Jasongag: Scotch Party in my Mouth
This image really captures the frenetic, energetic, chaotic quality of red. I really love the comic-esque graphic style! I want to go to that party.

image.jpeg

WINNER
Geek1956: Untitled Mosque

I could have selected this for the excellent composition (which it has), or the interesting geometry that pulls you right in (which it has), or the rich red color (which it has), but what kept bringing me back was that little guy scurrying across the floor.

It's a sense shared humanity that I found quite moving. Who doesn't remember being a child, stuck in some not-very-fun "grown up" event, wanting to make a break for it?

It reminds me that no culture can say it loves its children more than any other. It reminds me of the great power images have to show us the humanity of others, at a time when we sorely need reminding of that fact.

image.jpeg

I had actually chosen this as the winner *before* the terrible shooting that happened here, in my home town, that took the lives of 14 innocent people, including a friend of many of my friends. I look at it now and it reminds me that the denial of humanity by a few makes it even more important to retain my own. After a very sad and difficult week, I thank you for that.

Many thanks to FotoLumos LovelyMarge zenjenny (hey, that's me :)) for the time care and thought so evident in these respectful offerings.

The crucial significance of one's capacity to give and receive 'feedback' is so clear to me in my professional and my artistic life that it was an important factor in setting up this abstract challenge. I've been overjoyed to see our guest judges consistently taking the time to offer the art/artists they're evaluating something meaningful from their own unique vision. And isn't that what art's all about.

Not only but also - somewhere along the line guest judges started offering not one, not two, but three mentions, three sets of feedback for each category. Honest, I didn't make them do that - I wouldn't further presume upon our wonderful Mobi-people's valuable time. But there ya have it. What a lovely generous thoughtful kind lot we are :) :notworthy: :inlove:

I'll add that our LovelyMarge Marge squeezed us in at the end of her university year (all over, she says, 'just the thesis to write'. Hands up all jaded university post-grads and profs who think that's hilariously funny :whistle:). Our FotoLumos Tara suffered devastating losses in her artistic community and in her private life. Our zenjen (that's me :)) went a bit crazy with family stuff. A fair bit. Okay a lot. (He hasn't done an intro yet but my other 'alf aka ariesguitar has joined up so I'll have to watch the flights of fancy :) Hello, love :inlove:)

Congrats Geek1956 GroovyGouvy RoseCat FundyBrian on your fabulous images. As you know part of the rich reward for your wins is that you get to evaluate your category in #11 W i n g ' e d !! :D I'll be in touch :inlove: :notworthy: :thumbs:

Wow cool. Worthy winner, what a great shot the mosque one is. That wouldn't be out of place in Nat Geo or similar. Great stuff by fundyb and another lot of cool images of a warm colour to intrigue and beguile. Zenjenny's abstract was awesome, ditto the red shoes by rosecat.image.jpegps here are the pink shoes I mentioned

image-jpeg.71536

Jasongag hope you don't mind, I posted a larger version of the image so we could all gave a look at the pink shoes that met Sir Robert Helpmann. And that you loved & danced & whoknowswhat in. (Plus I wanted to see if that little box for image urls did what I thought it did).

Feel free to start another thread if you've more to share re those shoes (or any others). I for one v interested

First Hon Mention: Glenton and terse for their joint efforts with Rodolfo's GlenRed.
Rodolfo's self-portrait already had an impressive app-history. But when Rodolfo ran into trouble removing a pesky purple fringe, he and Ted put their heads together and discovered a solution in Instaflash Pro's Color EQ controls. They've kindly posted a summary of their efforts here.

This may not be the most conventional use of the terms 'ingenuity' in an art challenge, but hey -- today *I* get to choose! So this mention is with thanks to Rodolfo and Ted, and in appreciation of their example of the best of MobiTog. (Plus it's a pretty cool and nicely-apped portrait, Rodolfo!)

I think Rodolfo put it best himself: "This moment represent one of the most distinctive seal of Mobitog fellows: friendship, the spirit of collaboration and knowledge share".

View attachment 71526

Thanks zenjenny for the honor shared with Ted!

View attachment 71520

Category 3: Aesthetics: (beauty, meanings conveyed) (LovelyMarge )

LovelyMarge said:

INTERPRETATIONS OF AESTHETHICS:

Sooooo....I wanted to look first the definition of the word aesthethics to make easiear my choosing through all the photos (since it was extremely hard).

Aesthetics (/ɛsˈθɛtɪks/; also spelled æsthetics and esthetics also known in Greek as Αισθητική, or "Aisthētiké") is a branch of philosophy dealing with the nature of art, beauty, and taste, with the creation and appreciation of beauty.

Given this...

Third Place

mwolfer : Red Leaf (it had no tittle but the photo had a red leaf XD)

Really good composition and really nice way of making the leaf standing out from the background.

View attachment 71517

Second Place

terse : Not Red

Very good symmetry of the subject and also great composition. Making the door the center and beign so simplistic (without the having many objects inside the photo) it made the color red painting pop up ...Also really nice sharp and detailled photo.

View attachment 71518

First Place

RoseCat : Red Shoes

Excellent photo. Love the simplistic beauty of your composition, the softness of the colors and the way you made the color of the shoes be the main character. Awesome photo.

View attachment 71519

Love all the photosss and all are sooo artistic this was so dificult haha
Oh my...... THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!! I've been mostly offline all day, and popped in to see this!!! I'm really honored!!! :D :D :D :notworthy: :D :D :D And honored again to be alongside the mega-talent of Mel and Ted... congrats to you!!

Category 2: Interpretation/s of set theme (execution of ideas, invocation of meaning/s) (FotoLumos)

@
FotoLumos said:

Well this was incredibly challenging! So many stunning images and so varied in scope. It was like comparing apples to oranges (or chalk to cheese, as my Aussie acting coach liked to say). I really had to rein in my ADD so as not to have multiple pages of winners!

INTERPRETATION OF THEME

1st Runner Up
Philippe Schlossberg: Untitled Lady in Red

Such an evocative (and provocative) image. All the elements combine to create a sultry, lightly lurid ambiance, like a red light district.

View attachment 71522

2nd Runner Up
zenjenny : Another Step Toward Persephone

This was my favorite of the series. I'm intrigued by the study of feminine archetype through the color red. I see many aspects of that within this piece - bold lines, soft curves, a wash of rose red, a slash of blood red, and of course, that pomegranate.

View attachment 71521

WINNER
GroovyGouvy : "When Red Turns To Past"

So clever! I love the use of opposites in art. What a brilliant and unique interpretation to use the opposite of red - cyan- as the predominant color. And I love the tongue in cheek interpretation that this piece must also be *read* to be fully appreciated. Extra credit for finding so many words ending in "red" to fill out the composition!

View attachment 71523
Wonderful choices, and such perfect and apt descriptions of each!! Super congrats to you Grouvy!!!!! Wonderfully creative and out-of-the box!!

Also love Philippe's and Jenny's wonderful pieces.... :thumbs:

1. Artistic/Appstract ingenuity, creativity & skill (Jen)

It was quite educational for me to browse through the #Red images trying to focus only on 'ingenuity and skill with art/apps'.

As with a lot of artistry, sometimes the ingenuity and skill is unmistakeable, larger than life, in your face: "how in !%!}! Did s/he do that???" Sometimes the ingenuity and skill is precisely in the fact that you have to look for it - "that looks so simple, but . . ." And everywhere in between.

And how do you value one over another?? Well, as I keep reminding myself, this isn't the Tate. So here's what 'Artistic/Appstract ingenuity, creativity & skill' looked to me in this series:

View attachment 71526

Second Hon Mention: Jasongag Scotch Party in my Mouth: I Love Bangkok

I picture Jason like the archetypal mad scientist, papers everywhere across the desk and the room, blackboard (the archetype precedes whiteboards let alone PPS) filled with strange hieroglyphics, scribbling and scrabbling madly, muttering under his breath - everything apparently in disarray...

And then voilá . . . Something emerges - something complete and meaningful and beautiful. sometimes you have to know how to look - and I love that Jason will do that, too - draw the map, show the intersections, point to the threads and paradoxes and juxtapositions of culture and myth and other forms of language.

It could've been any one of your pieces, Jason, but this one spoke to me particularly because of the multiplicities of visual [see above re threads etc] elements, covering so many polarities of the western psyche (for want of a better word), that you painted and apped and circular'd and in other ways transmogrified into one coherent cohesive image.

(Excuse all the cultural studies lingo -- a girl gets a bit excited when she hasn't seen simulacra in a coupla years and she's suddenly faced with an image like this)

View attachment 71527

Winner of category 1: Artistic/Appstract ingenuity, creativity & skill
FundyBrian: Time Bomb

From one extreme to another: I see the skill and ingenuity in this piece mainly in its under-statedness.

"Shot with the iPhone 6 camera, zoomed antique clock picture made with SlowShutter and iPhone on glide rail. Some Instaflash Pro, Stackables, iColorama"

I chose this image because of the artistry evident in its crafting from the ground up, sotospeak. The use of zoom and glide rail - ie in the original capture, and then the different types of post-processing in the three apps Brian chose to complete his piece. I see a bit of every type of artistry in this piece - 'mechanical', adjustments to the size and focus, light and blur (?) -- and then the textured and painterly touches that turn the piece into an image that makes me wonder... 'How did he...?'

View attachment 71528
More wonderful, thoughtful descriptions!!! I'm in awe how you can put into words the stuff that just sort of wings through my head as images and unnamed thoughts....

Super congrats Brian!! Well deserved!!!
And super kudos to Glenton, Rudolfo, Ted and Jason - amazing work by all!

OVERALL WINNER LoA #10 R E D (FotoLumos)

FotoLumos says:
1st Runner Up: @FundyBrian: Mushroom Top

This could easily be an abstract painting, hanging in a gallery or a NASA photo of some galaxy far, far away. Surprise - its a mushroom! Such a cool, unexpected way to look at something most people step on without even noticing.

View attachment 71534

2nd Runner Up
Jasongag: Scotch Party in my Mouth
This image really captures the frenetic, energetic, chaotic quality of red. I really love the comic-esque graphic style! I want to go to that party.

View attachment 71531

WINNER
Geek1956: Untitled Mosque

I could have selected this for the excellent composition (which it has), or the interesting geometry that pulls you right in (which it has), or the rich red color (which it has), but what kept bringing me back was that little guy scurrying across the floor.

It's a sense shared humanity that I found quite moving. Who doesn't remember being a child, stuck in some not-very-fun "grown up" event, wanting to make a break for it?

It reminds me that no culture can say it loves its children more than any other. It reminds me of the great power images have to show us the humanity of others, at a time when we sorely need reminding of that fact.

View attachment 71533

I had actually chosen this as the winner *before* the terrible shooting that happened here, in my home town, that took the lives of 14 innocent people, including a friend of many of my friends. I look at it now and it reminds me that the denial of humanity by a few makes it even more important to retain my own. After a very sad and difficult week, I thank you for that.
Absolutely perfect choice for the win..... This is a powerful image, and as you said, an image humanity is in desperate need of... :inlove: Super congrats Geek1956!! Bravo!!!!!!!!

Three cheers to Brian and Jason!!! :D

Many thanks to FotoLumos LovelyMarge zenjenny (hey, that's me :)) for the time care and thought so evident in these respectful offerings.

The crucial significance of one's capacity to give and receive 'feedback' is so clear to me in my professional and my artistic life that it was an important factor in setting up this abstract challenge. I've been overjoyed to see our guest judges consistently taking the time to offer the art/artists they're evaluating something meaningful from their own unique vision. And isn't that what art's all about.

Not only but also - somewhere along the line guest judges started offering not one, not two, but three mentions, three sets of feedback for each category. Honest, I didn't make them do that - I wouldn't further presume upon our wonderful Mobi-people's valuable time. But there ya have it. What a lovely generous thoughtful kind lot we are :) :notworthy: :inlove:

I'll add that our LovelyMarge Marge squeezed us in at the end of her university year (all over, she says, 'just the thesis to write'. Hands up all jaded university post-grads and profs who think that's hilariously funny :whistle:). Our FotoLumos Tara suffered devastating losses in her artistic community and in her private life. Our zenjen (that's me :)) went a bit crazy with family stuff. A fair bit. Okay a lot. (He hasn't done an intro yet but my other 'alf aka ariesguitar has joined up so I'll have to watch the flights of fancy :) Hello, love :inlove:)

Congrats Geek1956 GroovyGouvy RoseCat FundyBrian on your fabulous images. As you know part of the rich reward for your wins is that you get to evaluate your category in #11 W i n g ' e d !! :D I'll be in touch :inlove: :notworthy: :thumbs:
Really beautiful words, dear Jenny..... :inlove: reading this actually brought a tear to my eye (I know, I know.... I'm sappy, but...... :inlove: )

Thank you so much! Congrats to all winners and also to anyone who posted a picture. :notworthy: They are all inspiring, cheering up and mindbending. :notworthy::inlove: It's a great honor to judge again and I love the judging is now done by many, so the splitting will it make much easier.
Thank you all and Merry Christmas to everyone reading this! :)
Merry Christmas dear Gouvy!!! [emoji319]

Back
Top Bottom