MobiColour RESULT: MC #147 Theme: Minimalism - Nov 19-25, 2018

JLS
DA111BC3-2C15-4995-9961-6014BA56842C.jpeg

A Color Story, Distressed FX (Two birds), HandyPhoto/Retouch (Just one bird ;-)

["You may find him
If you may find him" - ND]

And don't forget the Lomography-style "pictures accidentally deleted" category, for those who enjoy introducing randomness into their minimalism.

terse now would you please explain the thing with lomography, deleted images and random minimalism?

Well, accidental deletion involves a certain amount of randomness, and of course "randomness" is just another word for randomness. :D As for lomography, it's a film-based photography style that started in the 90s using an inexpensive plastic-bodied Soviet camera, the Lomo LC-A (Lomo is the company) and other Soviet cameras including the Diana and the Holga. The cameras provided some randomness through light leaks, lens quirks, saturated and shifted colors and so on. The lomography style of shooting accentuated these with techniques like shooting from the hip, no-look shooting, low light shooting, lack of studied composition, and so on. I think Hipstamatic (with many of its original looks) has to have been inspired by lomography.

You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomography

Also here: https://www.lomography.com/about/the-ten-golden-rules

EDIT: Oops, the Diana and Holga were from Hong Kong, not the Soviet Union.

Last edited:
The cameras provided some randomness through light leaks, lens quirks, saturated and shifted colors and so on. The lomography style of shooting accentuated these with techniques like shooting from the hip, no-look shooting, low light shooting, lack of studied composition, and so on. I think Hipstamatic (with many of its original looks) has to have been inspired by lomography.
That paragraph absolutely describes the mobile photography movement "back in the day" when it first started (2010-ish for me, but it had been going on for a bit before I discovered it.) Filters from Hipstamatic and other apps (that I don't use any more, and can't think of their names right now) totally created that look/feel.

Well, accidental deletion involves a certain amount of randomness, and of course "randomness" is just another word for randomness. :D As for lomography, it's a film-based photography style that started in the 90s using an inexpensive plastic-bodied Soviet camera, the Lomo LC-A (Lomo is the company) and other Soviet cameras including the Diana and the Holga. The cameras provided some randomness through light leaks, lens quirks, saturated and shifted colors and so on. The lomography style of shooting accentuated these with techniques like shooting from the hip, no-look shooting, low light shooting, lack of studied composition, and so on. I think Hipstamatic (with many of its original looks) has to have been inspired by lomography.

You can read more about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lomography

Also here: https://www.lomography.com/about/the-ten-golden-rules
I think we can push the date of this sort of photography back to the late ‘70s. There were certainly lots of people experimenting with low quality cameras (I was one of them). The shabby darkroom techniques were mostly from people in beginner darkroom courses, but not entirely accidentally. Some of it was semi-directed by teachers. Later they learned the fine art photo darkroom techniques.
Another technique I remember from back then was to strap your camera to your back and you used a long release cable to trip the shutter. The general idea was you would walk around and when you saw something interesting you would take a picture, with the camera on your back, and without looking what was back there. That way every photo would be a discovery(!?). You might realize that back then cameras mostly had manual film advance levers. Not many students had motor drives. So after each photo you had to twist around to advance the shutter, or get someone else to advance it for you.

Another technique I remember from back then was to strap your camera to your back and you used a long release cable to trip the shutter. The general idea was you would walk around and when you saw something interesting you would take a picture, with the camera on your back, and without looking what was back there. That way every photo would be a discovery(!?). You might realize that back then cameras mostly had manual film advance levers. Not many students had motor drives. So after each photo you had to twist around to advance the shutter, or get someone else to advance it for you.
:thumbs: That's totally new to me, but it's definitely the same spirit.

Now we need a big drumroll and fanfare to introduce the results of this MC#147 - Minimalism.

What a wonderfully inspiring set of images! Picking my favourites was harder than I anticipated. In my first stage of elimination I had 25 images, and 6 of those were from rizole. At first I found it difficult to explain my feelings about the images except I kept coming back to certain images. However, looking at my favourites as a group I saw something of interest, at least to me, and I will attempt to explain it.

First Place - rizole.
4019F685-3225-44D4-A871-AB210D99875C.jpeg

I suppose this could be a cut in a rusty pipe, or the corner of the smiling mouth of a rusty robot. Then there’s what looks to be a drop of mercury at the corner of the mouth. It has a limited range of colour but full range of tones and rich texture. I can appreciate it because of its bare simplicity, but there’s something more that keeps me looking, some sort of mystery.
And of course this means it’s up to rizole to pick this week’s new MC theme.

Second Place - JillyG.
C6E60F92-D8B7-44E0-B592-6358D8492DEA.jpeg

Could it get more simple? And yet, what is it? I looks like a flower fallen on a frozen pond. But why would there be flowers when the pond is frozen. Perhaps it is a wet driveway or puddle, but not deep enough for the flower to sink. It could be the background texture is added later but it sure looks like ice. There it is again, a mystery. Visually minimalist but also intriguing.

Third Place - RoseCat
B6946A31-31B4-43CA-953D-DE464A786940.jpeg

This one I can safely say is a swing in the snow. Very simple, minimalist, but there’s a story going on about the swing sitting there, being unused in the cold weather.

The thing that pulls the top three images together is that something more is going on besides the literal.

Several more images are deserving of Honourable Mention but I will just show the first 3 of them.

terse - Cherry Tree. Just lovely. I’m especially fond of the near/far, in focus/out of focus.
8D1A6566-A046-4A6C-BE6A-EC5D8B7B6CAD.jpeg

dscheff - Waiting. Love the texture & leaf impression. This is another case where I can’t tell if this is a composite or what exactly is going on.
510DA985-7D99-4379-89C8-B8B15B2B2CD3.jpeg

lisamjw - Purple Passion
A3919C04-C672-4B2F-AAF1-584085CF14AE.jpeg

I really enjoyed exploring the topic of minimalism with you all this week - thank you!
One of the great things about these challenges is the opportunity to learn new things. Over the past week of studying and thinking about minimalism and seeing many good examples from MobiTog folks I think my understanding of the topic has been expanded. Also, I feel I have a new sense of direction in how I want to explore minimalism.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now we need a big drumroll and fanfare to introduce the results of this MC#147 - Minimalism.

What a wonderfully inspiring set of images! Picking my favourites was harder than I anticipated. In my first stage of elimination I had 25 images, and 6 of those were from rizole. At first I found it difficult to explain my feelings about the images except I kept coming back to certain images. However, looking at my favourites as a group I saw something of interest, at least to me, and I will attempt to explain it.

First Place - rizole.
View attachment 117422

I suppose this could be a cut in a rusty pipe, or the corner of the smiling mouth of a rusty robot. Then there’s what looks to be a drop of mercury at the corner of the mouth. It has a limited range of colour but full range of tones and rich texture. I can appreciate it because of its bare simplicity, but there’s something more that keeps me looking, some sort of mystery.

Second Place - JillyG.
View attachment 117423

Could it get more simple? And yet, what is it? I looks like a flower fallen on a frozen pond. But why would there be flowers when the pond is frozen. Perhaps it is a wet driveway or puddle, but not deep enough for the flower to sink. It could be the background texture is added later but it sure looks like ice. There it is again, a mystery. Visually minimalist but also intriguing.

Third Place - RoseCat
View attachment 117421

This one I can safely say is a swing in the snow. Very simple, minimalist, but there’s a story going on about the swing sitting there, being unused in the cold weather.

The thing that pulls the top three images together is that something more is going on besides the literal.

Several more images are deserving of Honourable Mention but I will just show the first 3 of them.

Terse - Cherry Tree. Just lovely. I’m especially fond of the near/far, in focus/out of focus.
View attachment 117428

dscheff - Waiting. Love the texture & leaf impression. This is another case where I can’t tell if this is a composite or what exactly is going on.
View attachment 117427

lkbside - Purple Passion
View attachment 117426

I really enjoyed exploring the topic of minimalism with you all this week - thank you!
One of the great things about these challenges is the opportunity to learn new things. Over the past week of studying and thinking about minimalism and seeing many good examples from MobiTog folks I think my understanding of the topic has been expanded. Also, I feel I have a new sense of direction in how I want to explore minimalism.
Yay, well done rizole Rizole! That was a great image. And thank you Brian for my second place - more than I could have hoped for. I’m pleased that you saw something in it that appealed to you. Congrats for your third place RoseCat Catherine. I love that swing, and I’m ashamed to say that I didn’t realise that it was snow-covered until Brian mentioned it. I loved all of the HMs too, so I agree wholeheartedly with Brian’s choices.:D

First Place - rizole.
View attachment 117422

Second Place - JillyG.
View attachment 117423

Third Place - RoseCat
View attachment 117421

Terse - Cherry Tree. Just lovely. I’m especially fond of the near/far, in focus/out of focus.
View attachment 117428

View attachment 117427

lkbside - Purple Passion
View attachment 117426

What a marvellous summary and collection of pictures. Thank you, Brian for that inspiring theme.
Congrats to the winners rizole , JillyG and RoseCat as well as to the HMers terse, dscheff and lisamjw. I love them all!
For the last picture I must say I LOVE THE SHADES OF PURPLE in it and in my eyes the middle forms the face of a dog. Actually at least three different ones. Once I see a Westie, then a kind of Dobermann and even a chihuahua. And just checking again I even found a cat! I bet more views means more finds. :thumbs:) It is sooooo beautiful! :inlove:

Last edited by a moderator:

First Place - rizole.
View attachment 117422

Second Place - JillyG.
View attachment 117423

Third Place - RoseCat
View attachment 117421

View attachment 117428

View attachment 117427

lkbside - Purple Passion
View attachment 117426

Wonderful, thoughtful wrap-up Brian! Well done, and a hearty round of applause to our winner rizole - Congrats!! High fives to second placer JillyG and her beautiful flower-on-ice, and I'm honored to receive third. :notworthy: Thank you! "Whoohoos" all around for the HMs terse Ted, dscheff Jeffrey and lisamjw - love all your images.

One of my all-time fave themes/weeks, for sure. :inlove:

Last edited:

First Place - rizole.
View attachment 117422

Second Place - JillyG.
View attachment 117423

Third Place - RoseCat
View attachment 117421

View attachment 117428

View attachment 117427

lkbside - Purple Passion
View attachment 117426

Congrats to all!
Please note that "Purple Passion", the artist is Lisa lisamjw

First Place - rizole.
View attachment 117422

Second Place - JillyG.
View attachment 117423

Third Place - RoseCat
View attachment 117421

terse - Cherry Tree. Just lovely. I’m especially fond of the near/far, in focus/out of focus.
View attachment 117428

View attachment 117427

lisamjw - Purple Passion
View attachment 117426

Congrats to all!!!

Back
Top Bottom