MobiColour RESULT: MC #50 Theme: Abstracts - January 9-15, 2017

Whoa, that's cool!

(I've been getting more accidental shots than ever since I got an iPhone 7. With the on/off button now sitting opposite the volume buttons instead of being on top, I often trigger the shutter with my thumb when I'm pressing the off button with my index finger.)
Me too! :eek:

Panic attack in the comfort zone. Snapseed.View attachment 86757

Out of curiosity, is this an abstract? Or just a picture of a toilet? I've avoided this challenge mostly as I'm never clear how we define 'abstract.
Yes I can look up the wiki definition, but I'm still no clearer.

Abstraction deals with ideas rather than reality and doesn't need to represent concrete things.

Stepping back from my pic and looking at it critically I think it could be argued that it's too representational and suffers from a lack of ideas to be a proper abstract.

On the other hand, it's simple, reductive and uses shape, colour and negative space, all of which are often associated with abstraction. It's subject is a toilet but doesn't depict a toilet, it looks away at the wall. Toilets are places of conflict, eliciting horror in some and refuge in others. We hide the toilet in our language, calling it the restroom or convenience or we call it by it's dirty names to shock. It can be a focus for our psychological problems or a safe space, away from the kids or our working worries.

On the other hand, yes John, it's just a bog.
It's abstract in my eye... due to the crop and minimalism in form and color (although it could be filled from border to border with stuff and be abstract too.)

Great description of the "toilet room"... Should I admit I've spent time on MobiTog whilst there????? :rolleyes: :whistle: :coffee: :zip:

IMG_3852.JPG

Snapseed

Reflections in an ice puddle
Mextures, iColorama
View attachment 86768
I don't know why, but I was surprised at the [clarity & detail of the] reflections in the ice puddle. I can't recall ever seeing an ice-puddle (must've when I was a kid bcs I lived in uk). I think my Australian mind was freezing some of our dry dusty bits and coming up with murky slush :)

It's not an effect I've played with much, but I like the way this came out.

So do I - the movement is entrancing (I don't think I've tried light trails fx but I surely will now). And I love the relative density of the colour and form of curtain shapes against the obvious delicacy of the billowy movement. Really really nice - I hope you play more with that effect :)

Back
Top Bottom