Ric’s journey without direction

Back to SuperimposeX and snapseed. I just love that Lofi type editing, if you call it that, rather than the clinical discreet type editing that photographers lean to with stuff like affinity photo. This is more dirty and messy.
anyway ( are you reading this WOTANICUS ), an Unuseable soft photo taken as I was moving as was the subject. Shot from hip but decided to embrace the blur and add a little and then throw blended layers and masking at it to create something I liked. Mono would have worked with snapseed but just wanted to see what else I could conjur up with a bad photo. A problem I still need to get rid of is getting excited when I see another photo opportunity at the same time. It seems to always end up with a bad shot.
I blame London and it’s rich pickings for that though.

View attachment 182470
Ive historically been a Photoshop man (coming in at version 2.5 on the Mac - if you think its hard now, try managing without layers!) These days I use Snapseed and Lightroom Mobile mostly, with a little Histamatic thrown in. Although I have access to the full Adobe Creative Suite at Uni, I rarely use it, unless I need to do a really destructive edit. I don't have a PC either, so lengthy edits have to wait till i'm in work. I'm considering getting an Ipad now, just to give me the flexibility with the workflow, as having an iphone mini and hands like paws is not a great mix.

Ive historically been a Photoshop man (coming in at version 2.5 on the Mac - if you think its hard now, try managing without layers!) These days I use Snapseed and Lightroom Mobile mostly, with a little Histamatic thrown in. Although I have access to the full Adobe Creative Suite at Uni, I rarely use it, unless I need to do a really destructive edit. I don't have a PC either, so lengthy edits have to wait till i'm in work. I'm considering getting an Ipad now, just to give me the flexibility with the workflow, as having an iphone mini and hands like paws is not a great mix.
An ipad was the best thing I ever bought. Life changing.

I loved photoshop but I’ve now changed workflow etc. I don’t miss it now, short term tolerance to affinity has shown me that. I have a laptop but this group has got me working without a pc so it’s iPad and iPhone only for me. We aren’t supposed to use desktop programs for images here anyway so Im just relearning stuff as I go along.

iPads don’t date as quick as you think. My iPad Air is still flying along. It’s the v3 so it’s a few years old now. I may replace it next year but not because it’s outdated. Dont think you got to keep up with the joneses. It won’t add anything to the quality of your work output.

An ipad was the best thing I ever bought. Life changing.
iPads don’t date as quick as you think. My iPad Air is still flying along. It’s the v3 so it’s a few years old now. I may replace it next year but not because it’s outdated. Dont think you got to keep up with the joneses. It won’t add anything to the quality of your work output.

Agreed. I can still draw on my first iPad (a 2) Over time I’ve replaced them mainly bcs the battery or the battery port is stuffed. Biggest most discernible change was getting an iPad Pro this year (bliss) and we now we both have an iPad mini (one month in I don’t know how I managed without it).

Agreed. I can still draw on my first iPad (a 2) Over time I’ve replaced them mainly bcs the battery or the battery port is stuffed. Biggest most discernible change was getting an iPad Pro this year (bliss) and we now we both have an iPad mini (one month in I don’t know how I managed without it).
Well ive inherited a 2 with cracked screen, but its glacially slow and I cant get it to run most of the apps that I want. Plus its stupidly heavy!

I am I love with my mini. So portable!

Back to SuperimposeX and snapseed. I just love that Lofi type editing, if you call it that, rather than the clinical discreet type editing that photographers lean to with stuff like affinity photo. This is more dirty and messy.
anyway ( are you reading this WOTANICUS ), an Unuseable soft photo taken as I was moving as was the subject. Shot from hip but decided to embrace the blur and add a little and then throw blended layers and masking at it to create something I liked. Mono would have worked with snapseed but just wanted to see what else I could conjur up with a bad photo. A problem I still need to get rid of is getting excited when I see another photo opportunity at the same time. It seems to always end up with a bad shot.
I blame London and it’s rich pickings for that though.

View attachment 182470
Yeah, a blurred image much more effective in this instance. Like the tone.

Well ive inherited a 2 with cracked screen, but its glacially slow and I cant get it to run most of the apps that I want. Plus its stupidly heavy!
That’s pretty old though. If you are talking about the mini 2 that‘s 9 years! My big iPad Pro must be 7 years old and it still works well although I bought an iPad Pro 11 about 20 months ago and I love this. It still feels new. Bigger than a mini but not so hefty as the big Pro. Using an iPad over an iPhone is like getting a new pair of spectacles and suddenly seeing everything properly.

That’s pretty old though. If you are talking about the mini 2 that‘s 9 years! My big iPad Pro must be 7 years old and it still works well although I bought an iPad Pro 11 about 20 months ago and I love this. It still feels new. Bigger than a mini but not so hefty as the big Pro. Using an iPad over an iPhone is like getting a new pair of spectacles and suddenly seeing everything properly.
Nicely put!

Deep into my second dose of covid this year, I’ve got a little tired going to the camera roll and seeing the same old photos ( even the folder of those not edited yet), so, I decided to take 2 images from round the house just to have something new to look at, whether the subject be boring, odd or whatever.
Anyway I’m putting two versions of the one image here to see which I like better. One is Tonemapped but not full blown on mapped and then light painted, the other a more simple mono.
Tonemapped and painted

94B54C02-1042-4829-B4DC-4B65CF110911.jpeg

mono snapseed

0C4CB695-AAA6-424B-A20E-5CD280CD5B37.jpeg

Well ive made the leap and bought an Ipad Air. I was going to go Pro, but as I wont be using the camera as such, thought id keep it portable. Got a pen too, so some deep diving of images coming up! Any ipad specific apps I should be aware of ?

Well ive made the leap and bought an Ipad Air. I was going to go Pro, but as I wont be using the camera as such, thought id keep it portable. Got a pen too, so some deep diving of images coming up! Any ipad specific apps I should be aware of ?
Keep it basic to start. I’ve gone through tons and got myself all confused. Snapseed , superimpose are two and I do like Lightroom even though I pay the fiver for full features.
affinity photo is a beast but hard to tame, but those 4, between them seem to cover everything.
learn snapseed thoroughly though, editing the effects can cover Nearly anything That you’d use adjustment layers for

Last edited:
Deep into my second dose of covid this year, I’ve got a little tired going to the camera roll and seeing the same old photos ( even the folder of those not edited yet), so, I decided to take 2 images from round the house just to have something new to look at, whether the subject be boring, odd or whatever.
Anyway I’m putting two versions of the one image here to see which I like better. One is Tonemapped but not full blown on mapped and then light painted, the other a more simple mono.
Tonemapped and painted

View attachment 182740

mono snapseed

View attachment 182741
Tonemapped for me (Affinity?) I do like the tonemapped look but alas I only have affinity on the pc so it can't feature here for moi.

Keep it basic to start. I’ve gone through tons and got myself all confused. Snapseed , superimpose are two and I do like Lightroom even though I pay the fiver for full features.
affinity photo is a beast but hard to tame, but those 4, between them seem to cover everything.
learn snapseed thoroughly though, editing the effects can cover Nearly anything That you’d use adjustment layers for
Been using Snapseed for donkeys years, but the tiny phone screen has been limiting. Ive got LRM, but just the free features. Aside from that, just the usual suspects from my workflow: Hipstamatic, Argentum, Blackie and Tintype. I have got Superimpose somewhere, but again, the small screen was a handicap. I'm looking forward to the precision of the pen for accurate editing.

Been using Snapseed for donkeys years, but the tiny phone screen has been limiting. Ive got LRM, but just the free features. Aside from that, just the usual suspects from my workflow: Hipstamatic, Argentum, Blackie and Tintype. I have got Superimpose somewhere, but again, the small screen was a handicap. I'm looking forward to the precision of the pen for accurate editing.
I find the 3rd party pen I have great with affinity for precise selections and using a thumb to dial the brush size, opacity etc and then the pen to do adjustments with brush etc, it works fast that way. You’ve just opened a whole new exciting world With the iPad.

Tonemapped and painted

View attachment 182740

mono snapseed

View attachment 182741
Tonemapped for me too.

Fabulous. How much time have you got? :lol:

My must have standards: Snapseed, SuperimposeX, Retouch, Procreate and now I use Pixelmator Photo for size reduction. Then iColorama which surprisingly I use for most of my blending because I like all the blending options.

I should try and get into Affinity Photo because it’s so powerful but the learning curve is so steep and it’s on the back burner for now.

Grunge: apart from Snapseed I use Hipstamatic mainly.

Back
Top Bottom