Rizole Overexposed

Very lean year so far for photos.
Doing some file management I stumbled accross my spreadsheet from a couple of years ago and added in the last 2 years figures for comparison.
View attachment 164227
So this shows 8 years of activity. Total pictures taken each year is counted in GBs. The gray line is the percentage of the total pics that ended up in my "Published" folder. By published, I'm including all the pictures that have been or I consider to be worth showing.

The amount of pictures I was taking was already on the increase but when I joined Mobitog in 2016 they more than doubled and stayed that way for the next two years. Despite taking many more pics, the amount I published rose slightly but stayed fairly stable.

2019 saw my total pictures fall by over 1/3 but my percentage published pictures nearly double. All of which I take to mean my quantity is falling but my quality is rising.

Last year, because of covid, my total pictures fell to pre-mobitog levels (who knows what would have happened in a normal year) but my percentage published, many of which ended up on this thread, has still stayed level with 2019.

This analysis has been bought to you by excel and a deep, late night, winter lockdown ennui.
I think my output has been even less. I took around 4000 last year. I’m sure I usually take +10 000 in a normal year.

Very lean year so far for photos.
Doing some file management I stumbled accross my spreadsheet from a couple of years ago and added in the last 2 years figures for comparison.
View attachment 164227
So this shows 8 years of activity. Total pictures taken each year is counted in GBs. The gray line is the percentage of the total pics that ended up in my "Published" folder. By published, I'm including all the pictures that have been or I consider to be worth showing.

The amount of pictures I was taking was already on the increase but when I joined Mobitog in 2016 they more than doubled and stayed that way for the next two years. Despite taking many more pics, the amount I published rose slightly but stayed fairly stable.

2019 saw my total pictures fall by over 1/3 but my percentage published pictures nearly double. All of which I take to mean my quantity is falling but my quality is rising.

Last year, because of covid, my total pictures fell to pre-mobitog levels (who knows what would have happened in a normal year) but my percentage published, many of which ended up on this thread, has still stayed level with 2019.

This analysis has been bought to you by excel and a deep, late night, winter lockdown ennui.
Nice that you aren’t just mindlessly surfing the net like, well, me......

Nice that you aren’t just mindlessly surfing the net......
...for a change...
Maybe that's a thread on it's own: "Time on pointless sites I'll never get back again because of Covid."
My current (but not only) pointless waste of existence is https://9gag.com/. Mainly because the content is almost endless and never runs out.
Clipboard01.jpg

A Huawei P40 Pro Plus should be with me in a couple of days.
It's a one time purchase, I'll never be in a position to splash the cash like this again so I've gone for the top of the range. It's £999.99, currently £300 off and has £120 earbuds thrown in at no extra cost.

As a bonus feature, I've had 2 people here offer and send me mobiles to use in years past. Once I'm up and running, I'm very happy to ship my Samsung to others here for a play should you fancy it. It's a 5 year old model now and has it's limitations but it's still a contender. Message me if you're interested.

It's a one time purchase, I'll never be in a position to splash the cash like this again so I've gone for the top of the range. It's £999.99, currently £300 off and has £120 earbuds thrown in at no extra cost.

As a bonus feature, I've had 2 people here offer and send me mobiles to use in years past. Once I'm up and running, I'm very happy to ship my Samsung to others here for a play should you fancy it. It's a 5 year old model now and has it's limitations but it's still a contender. Message me if you're interested.
I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. The reviews constantly put it at the top, or very near the top for photography.
I'm envious, although I still wouldn't be able to do without Google services :lol:

Awesome. I look forward to seeing what it can do (in the hands of someone who's not trying to get clicks for a review), esp. the zoom, although I'm also curious what the Golden Snap is.

Good for you! You make such wonderful images anyway, can’t wait to see what you can do with this!

First impressions of the P40 Pro PLus are, nice battery life, so much storage space, installs apps so very quickly.
The camera will take a bit more time to look at but some observations:
The 100x zoom looks interesting but probably needs a tripod to really pull it off. Here's a vans back door hinge. It was something like 20/25 ft away from me. I was standing in my front room. Next door is having an extension as it happens so there's plenty of men in big white vans visiting.
IMG_20210205_104140.jpg

There's a zoom level at around 7x where it's obvious that a different lens/set of lenses take over. The white balance also changes with a different lens. The whites in this pic have more yellow in them than the standard native camera for example.
IMG_20210205_114852.jpg

What's missing is a vertical panorama setting. The native cam will do a horizontal pano only so I'll need to look for an app that will do it as it's vital to be able to do so I think. Shame it's missing from such an expensive phone in the first place.
Another irritation is that my fave podcast client doesn't install. It's not a deal breaker but podkicker does what I want in the way that I want it. I've not tried anyother pod client that does it so well.
More to follow when the rain stops.

Last edited:
First impressions of the P40 Pro PLus are, nice battery life, so much storage space, installs apps so very quickly.
The 100x zoom looks interesting but probably needs a tripod to really pull it off. Here's a vans back door hinge. It was something like 20/25 ft away from me. I was standing in my front room. Next door is having an extension as it happens so there's plenty of men in big white vans visiting.
View attachment 164438
There's a zoom level at around 7x where it's obvious that a different lens/set of lenses take over. The white balance also changes with a different lens. The whites in this pic have more yellow in them than the standard native camera for example.
View attachment 164439
What's missing is a vertical panorama setting. The native cam will do a horizontal pano only so I'll need to look for an app that will do it as it's vital to be able to do so I think. Shame it's missing from such an expensive phone in the first place.
Another irritation is that my fave podcast client doesn't install. It's not a deal breaker but podkicker does what I want in the way that I want it. I've not tried anyother pod client that does it so well.
The feline picture is nice. Is there any point to 100x zoom? You'll have to admit the results aint pretty. The smartphone world seems to be obsessed with taking pictures in the dark and zooming ridiculous lengths. Whatever happened to the old adage 'zoom with your feet'?

Erm vertical panorama? Sure that just isn't you :D You knew that there could be problems with apps, but I'm sure you will get there.
I'm more interested in the straight up photography results, if the rain ever stops!!

I love a bit of vertical pano. I couldn't pull this off without.
This one's from my old phone and I'm unhappy with the lack of detail in the shadows. I specifically went back to replicate this on my P40 for comparison...which is when I found out I couldn't :(
20201121_154944-01-jpeg.162179
You get great results I'm not denying it, its just that I have to wonder about vertical pano being 'a thing'.

But according to the blurb you should be able to do vertoramas !!

View attachment 164438
View attachment 164439
If your cat picture is an example of the 7x tele, I'm officially jealous.

You get great results I'm not denying it, its just that I have to wonder about vertical pano being 'a thing'.

But according to the blurb you should be able to do vertoramas !!
Bingo...vertoramas. It does do it, I was just doing it wrong. Thanks for the headsup, just the podcast client bugging me now.
And of course it's a thing, flickr has a group with 5.7k photos on and instagram has several hashtag variations on the theme.

I love a bit of vertical pano. I couldn't pull this off without.
This one's from my old phone and I'm unhappy with the lack of detail in the shadows. I specifically went back to replicate this on my P40 for comparison...which is when I found out I couldn't :(
20201121_154944-01-jpeg.162179
I like to shoot trees with the vertical pano. Just turning the camera doesn’t work? You can’t use landscape mode?

I hope you have a lot more luck with yours than I did with mine. Looking forward to seeing more pics!

So the P40 pro plus will do vertoramas but I found a new snag. The direction of travel is one way. Vertically you have to start at the bottom and go up. You can't start up and go down. This breaks it outside where the ground is almost always darker than the sky, leading to blown out whites as you can see on this pic. The obvious solution is to start in the sky. This under exposes the ground but often doesn't lose as much detail. Obviously if you can do both, you can DE the two for a more balance overall.
IMG_20210210_135113.jpg

Still handled it better than my Samsung mind.
I had a call from Huawei today to see if I was happy with my purchase. I fed this detail back to them...Might work :)
Good customer service with signpopstting to resources and links to help.

I'm impressed with the zoom so far. The 100x looks a bit of a gimmick but I've not explored it much. The 10x optical zoom is nice and is allowing me to take shot I've tried and failed at before.
So my Samsung can't do anything with the tree on the horizon on this pic.
IMG_20210209_131531.jpg

Here's a couple zooms for comparison. Taken around 7X and 10X. I was in a cold wind and didn't pay close attension to settings.
IMG_20210209_131544.jpg
IMG_20210209_131607.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the result. You can even see the barbed wire between the fence posts on that last one.

I'm impressed with the zoom so far. The 100x looks a bit of a gimmick but I've not explored it much. The 10x optical zoom is nice and is allowing me to take shot I've tried and failed at before.
View attachment 164560
Here's a couple zooms for comparison. Taken around 7X and 10X. I was in a cold wind and didn't pay close attension to settings.
View attachment 164561View attachment 164562
Overall I'm very happy with the result. You can even see the barbed wire between the fence posts on that last one.
The clouds have come out nice as well.

View attachment 164560
View attachment 164561View attachment 164562
Darn, those are good. And the stabilization must be good, too, assuming you're shooting handheld. What about that lavender tint to the snow?

Back
Top Bottom