Chemotaxis

MobiStar
Real Name
Sagnik Dasgupta
Device
Android (Generic)
Shot on OnePlus 3, edited in Polarr
20170614_225030_184295235.jpg

The sky as seen through the window pane.
A colour version of my post on the b/w, shot from the same angle at a different time of the day.

View attachment 95062
Here's another version, shot a little earlier. I like the colours on this better, but there are some weird artefacts near the Centre of the image.
Which one do you like better?
I like the colors better in this one too. I can't see any weird things viewing it from my iPhone though?

I like the colors better in this one too. I can't see any weird things viewing it from my iPhone though?
Seen when you zoom in, albeit very light. The blue isn't perfectly uniform. A little blotchy in some areas.
Also, the lines are not as sharp in this one. I guess I'll try this angle again on Monday.

View attachment 95062
Here's another version, shot a little earlier. I like the colours on this better, but there are some weird artefacts near the Centre of the image.
Which one do you like better?
I'm with JillyG in liking the dark blue version. I frequently run into artifacts like those in the second version when I start manipulating a photo that has a large area of blue sky. To smooth those over, I try Snapseed with negative Structure and/or Glamour Glow and then use the brush in the edit stack to paint it onto the sky alone. (Glamour Glow can alter the color at times, though.)

I'm with JillyG in liking the dark blue version. I frequently run into artifacts like those in the second version when I start manipulating a photo that has a large area of blue sky. To smooth those over, I try Snapseed with negative Structure and/or Glamour Glow and then use the brush in the edit stack to paint it onto the sky alone. (Glamour Glow can alter the color at times, though.)
Thanks for the advise. I'll take a look if I can remove them.

Seen when you zoom in, albeit very light. The blue isn't perfectly uniform. A little blotchy in some areas.
Also, the lines are not as sharp in this one. I guess I'll try this angle again on Monday.
I have fixed things like that in Snapseed. Apply a very light blur...enough to make those marks smooth out. Apply it. Then tap the symbol with the arrow in the top right (next to Save) and choose View Edits. Choose the blur edit and tap the paintbrush and then paint the blur just in the sky. Voila!

I have fixed things like that in Snapseed. Apply a very light blur...enough to make those marks smooth out. Apply it. Then tap the symbol with the arrow in the top right (next to Save) and choose View Edits. Choose the blur edit and tap the paintbrush and then paint the blur just in the sky. Voila!
Cool, will give it a shot. Sounds promising. I wonder, scientifically, why this occurs though. The artefacts in the original were almost grid like, evenly spaced. Curious.

That's never occurred to me.
That either.
Both good tips, thanks.

I wonder, scientifically, why this occurs though. The artefacts in the original were almost grid like, evenly spaced. Curious.
My guess -- repeat, guess :D-- is that it's an interaction between JPEG compression techniques and the fact that the sky is not as uniformly blue to the camera sensor as it appears to our eyes. If that's true, I'd think the artifacts would go away when shooting and editing TIFFs, but I've never tested it.

My guess -- repeat, guess :D-- is that it's an interaction between JPEG compression techniques and the fact that the sky is not as uniformly blue to the camera sensor as it appears to our eyes. If that's true, I'd think the artifacts would go away when shooting and editing TIFFs, but I've never tested it.
You could be right. I'll reshoot in raw and compare.
Reason for edit: typo

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom