IOTM Winner - Feb 21, Sep 22, Mar 24
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
I went to an interesting restaurant this evening and the chef was a fascinating character. I wanted to get a good ‘street photo’ looking down on the kitchen but to get a good shot I needed to use the x5 zoom and with all the movement most of the shots were pretty poor together with a distracting background. These days I just throw away anything this bad but then I thought, hey, in the old days I would have tried to do something with it.

So could I make something of this image?
IMG_2853.jpeg

I found it surprisingly difficult and realised how out of practice I was. In the end, this is what I achieved. Could you do any better???

HipstamaticPhoto-727223430.575326.jpeg

I‘ll give my workflow later but in the meantime I challenge Mobitoggers to a photo duel.

Hmm... I'm not at my iPad right now, so I'm just thinking, but I'd like to somehow accent his nicely blurred hand. That'll be tough, though because of the background it's on. Or I wonder if I could lay a different background in there. I'll get back to you in a bit. :D

IMG_9173.jpeg

Proof of concept, sort of. I opened the image in iColorama and used its AI masking option to select the person. Touched up the mask a little bit, but not much. Then I used Effects/Blend to add a new background. (Just used the first plausible one I saw to see if it was going to work at all. I'll think about a better one later.) Finally, I opened the result in Graphite with the Soft Color style to give it an all-over look in an attempt to blend it all together.

View attachment 199614

Proof of concept, sort of. I opened the image in iColorama and used its AI masking option to select the person. Touched up the mask a little bit, but not much. Then I used Effects/Blend to add a new background. (Just used the first plausible one I saw to see if it was going to work at all. I'll think about a better one later.) Finally, I opened the result in Graphite with the Soft Color style to give it an all-over look in an attempt to blend it all together.
And one step farther

IMG_9187.jpeg

Notes: I used the iOS gimmick for separating a subject from its background, and then combined the extracted shark with the previous image in Leonardo and added some directional blur. After that, back into iColorama to add texture-like effects, some to the shark only and some to the whole image, trying to make it look all of one piece.

Last edited:
IMG_9194.jpeg

Late night job at the print shop
(Don't know why this made me think of printing presses, ink, and reams of paper, but it did.)

Cropped the bright section off the right side, and then messed around in Mextures, iColorama (Painterly), and Distressed FX (Fantome). Messed being the operative word here.

I went to an interesting restaurant this evening and the chef was a fascinating character. I wanted to get a good ‘street photo’ looking down on the kitchen but to get a good shot I needed to use the x5 zoom and with all the movement most of the shots were pretty poor together with a distracting background. These days I just throw away anything this bad but then I thought, hey, in the old days I would have tried to do something with it.

So could I make something of this image?
View attachment 199601

I found it surprisingly difficult and realised how out of practice I was. In the end, this is what I achieved. Could you do any better???

View attachment 199602

I‘ll give my workflow later but in the meantime I challenge Mobitoggers to a photo duel.
Nice idea, Ann :thumbs:

And one step farther

View attachment 199617

Notes: I used the iOS gimmick for separating a subject from its background, and then combined the extracted shark with the previous image in Leonardo and added some directional blur. After that, back into iColorama to add texture-like effects, some to the shark only and some to the whole image, trying to make it look all of one piece.
Nice, but it’s missing something . . .
Can’t quite put my finger on it . . . Oh wait, I’ve got it — where’s the catbird???

View attachment 199618

Late night job at the print shop
(Don't know why this made me think of printing presses, ink, and reams of paper, but it did.)

Cropped the bright section off the right side, and then messed around in Mextures, iColorama (Painterly), and Distressed FX (Fantome). Messed being the operative word here.
Yes, like this and as Jen said, blacksmith vibes.

Back
Top Bottom