Where in the World?

I'm currently having warm fuzzy feelings toward the gulf stream!

I particularly like the last map, how many UK's will fit into the USA.
I feel like my perception of the earth is skewed.
Fascinating! What Star said. I had no idea the Gulf Stream affected your weather like that.... or realized where you were actually located latitude-wise.

It was also really cool to see how different countries compared in size.

I'm currently having warm fuzzy feelings toward the gulf stream!

I particularly like the last map, how many UK's will fit into the USA.
I hadn't realized that all of the UK was so far north. No wonder the Vikings found it so attractive.

In contrast, California is at Mediterranean latitudes but its coast is swept by the California current coming down from the Arctic. The weather is good but the sea is damn cold. (The modern wetsuit was invented here in Santa Cruz, and every year we host the "Cold Water Classic" surf contest.)

Of course, global warming and the melting of the ice caps could cause the gulf stream to turn off. If that happens we'll really get a sense of how far north we are.

Last edited:
It was. The Mercator projection has totally warped my perception.
I've always thought that England was so much like Washington state, weather- and topography-wise (sans the mountains), and then seeing how much farther north they are made me go o_O.

I hadn't realized that all of the UK was so far north. No wonder the Vikings found it so attractive.

In contrast, California is at Mediterranean latitudes but its coast is swept by the California current coming down from the Arctic. The weather is good but the sea is damn cold. (The modern wetsuit was invented here in Santa Cruz, and every year we host the "Cold Water Classic" surf contest.)
Yes.... I realized that walking along the shore barefoot will NOT be the same here in WA like it was on the Jersey shore. :fearful: The Pacific is so much colder than the Atlantic.

Back
Top Bottom