Escape to Namibia

Why unfair Ann?
Well, maybe unfair is the wrong word. When I arrived back in the UK, it felt so much more difficult to produce a shot that was 'oh wow!'. When you have the opportunity to travel to places which are unusual it gives you an 'unfair' advantage because most people haven't seen it before and it has more of the wow factor. You look at the winners in the big mobile device comps, most of them are exotic unless it's street photography or manipulation. The grand prize winner has images of places most people would dream of visiting. He even has a photo of the exact place in Sossusvlei that I took the pic that Ted thinks I should enter. I almost recognise the exact tree stumps and I can guarantee 100s of people have exactly the same shot. Now that I've been there it seems quite ordinary to me.

At last I am back in the land of the living with reasonable wifi. Wow, what an adventure. It's going to take me a week to catch up I think.

Sossusvlei to Swakopmund

The flight in the little Cessna 210 (6 seater but really 5 because one rather than two in the very back is just comfortable) was a special scenic flight with the pilot dipping down low over the coastline to show us the sights. When the pilot asked who would be prepared to squeeze into the back, I quickly put up my little paw knowing that apart from being the smallest and therefore most suitable, I would also have the advantage of being able to shift from the right window to the left and get both views!

The desert running into the sea. Snapseed.
View attachment 107430

Dozens of sea colonies along the coast with hundreds of seals. Snapseed
View attachment 107431

The old ghost settlements and shipwrecks. First right is a shipwreck which is now quite a way from the sea due to the build up of sand. The second and third images on the left are the distant photos of the images on their right which shows the absolute desolation of the place. I would so love to photograph these buildings but think they have been done to death. See this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-town-abandoned-sand-wind-50-years-ago.html
View attachment 107432

Finally the salt pans of Walvis Bay which we visited the next day. The white dots in the green section on the first image are flamingos.
View attachment 107434
View attachment 107433
Holy wow.
The desert-meets-sea image is incredible. The endless same-ness and utter lack of anything living other than sand is a bit mind blowing. I wonder who in the world ever lived in those buildings? How did they survive? It’s all so apocalyptic feeling. And in the last two images, what makes those areas pink/red, purple, blue? Amazing!!!

Well, maybe unfair is the wrong word. When I arrived back in the UK, it felt so much more difficult to produce a shot that was 'oh wow!'. When you have the opportunity to travel to places which are unusual it gives you an 'unfair' advantage because most people haven't seen it before and it has more of the wow factor. You look at the winners in the big mobile device comps, most of them are exotic unless it's street photography or manipulation. The grand prize winner has images of places most people would dream of visiting. He even has a photo of the exact place in Sossusvlei that I took the pic that Ted thinks I should enter. I almost recognise the exact tree stumps and I can guarantee 100s of people have exactly the same shot. Now that I've been there it seems quite ordinary to me.
I totally agree that winning photos are usually from somewhere most people only dream of going. But I don’t think it’s an unfair advantage, just a fabulous opportunity, and you should definitely enter!

The grand prize winner has images of places most people would dream of visiting. He even has a photo of the exact place in Sossusvlei that I took the pic that Ted thinks I should enter. I almost recognise the exact tree stumps and I can guarantee 100s of people have exactly the same shot. Now that I've been there it seems quite ordinary to me.
I'd forgotten about Nan Deng's photo, which I liked when I first reviewed his images, and which is obviously in the same place, though it's not the same view. But when I went back to look at it again just now, after seeing yours, my immediate reactions was "Holy s#!t, what did he do to that poor thing?" All of a sudden, it looked artificial, to the point where the overamped colors have become the story rather than the landscape.

I imagine most, if not all, of the IPPA judges will be reminded of Deng's photo. If I were a judge, that would help yours rather than hinder it, but who knows what the actual judges will think? (That's why we enter.)

I'd say, if you've got three better images (!), enter those. If not, think about entering this one if you like it yourself.

Swakopmund

Namibia, which was called South West Africa when I was young, has always had a large German population and Swakopmund is predominately German. This is reflected in many of the buildings. Interestingly, the old buildings from the beginning of the 1900s have all been painted bright colours. I’m not quite sure how I feel about this - while making the town colourful and interesting, it is rather difficult to tell which buildings are old and which are new and I feel that perhaps many of the old buildings have lost their original character. What is apparent though, is that the town is very clean and the buildings extremely well maintained.

I decided to do a Hipstamatic theme for the town:
62EEDAD9-81EF-49CF-A3B9-B2579662F109.jpeg

1E847176-5752-40D5-ABD3-CBE04C3C668E.jpeg

F99967A5-6379-417A-96F8-F0E831ACDB80.jpeg

79AC449D-9EBE-4F24-AA6C-5786F1B1A23B.jpeg

3562C8A3-3E8F-4602-994C-FD3140C87CB7.jpeg

F69CE1F3-823C-4C19-93BA-D0C9309D58EF.jpeg

9429CBB7-5BD6-4F29-8FDA-2BE3DF7A3349.jpeg

This white building was built in 1990 but actually looks older than some of the others
14A22C2C-11DA-4FA6-BDF0-C9C99C4EE2D5.jpeg

Swakopmund

Namibia, which was called South West Africa when I was young, has always had a large German population and Swakopmund is predominately German. This is reflected in many of the buildings. Interestingly, the old buildings from the beginning of the 1900s have all been painted bright colours. I’m not quite sure how I feel about this - while making the town colourful and interesting, it is rather difficult to tell which buildings are old and which are new and I feel that perhaps many of the old buildings have lost their original character. What is apparent though, is that the town is very clean and the buildings extremely well maintained.

View attachment 107454
View attachment 107452
View attachment 107453
View attachment 107455
View attachment 107456
View attachment 107458
View attachment 107457

This white building was built in 1990 but actually looks older than some of the others
View attachment 107459

Lovely!

At last I am back in the land of the living with reasonable wifi. Wow, what an adventure. It's going to take me a week to catch up I think.

Sossusvlei to Swakopmund

The flight in the little Cessna 210 (6 seater but really 5 because one rather than two in the very back is just comfortable) was a special scenic flight with the pilot dipping down low over the coastline to show us the sights. When the pilot asked who would be prepared to squeeze into the back, I quickly put up my little paw knowing that apart from being the smallest and therefore most suitable, I would also have the advantage of being able to shift from the right window to the left and get both views!

The desert running into the sea. Snapseed.
View attachment 107430

Dozens of sea colonies along the coast with hundreds of seals. Snapseed
View attachment 107431

The old ghost settlements and shipwrecks. First right is a shipwreck which is now quite a way from the sea due to the build up of sand. The second and third images on the left are the distant photos of the images on their right which shows the absolute desolation of the place. I would so love to photograph these buildings but think they have been done to death. See this article: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-town-abandoned-sand-wind-50-years-ago.html
View attachment 107432

Finally the salt pans of Walvis Bay which we visited the next day. The white dots in the green section on the first image are flamingos.
View attachment 107434
View attachment 107433
Stunning, Ann, absolutely stunning!!:inlove::inlove:

I'd forgotten about Nan Deng's photo, which I liked when I first reviewed his images, and which is obviously in the same place, though it's not the same view. But when I went back to look at it again just now, after seeing yours, my immediate reactions was "Holy s#!t, what did he do to that poor thing?" All of a sudden, it looked artificial, to the point where the overamped colors have become the story rather than the landscape.

I imagine most, if not all, of the IPPA judges will be reminded of Deng's photo. If I were a judge, that would help yours rather than hinder it, but who knows what the actual judges will think? (That's why we enter.)

I'd say, if you've got three better images (!), enter those. If not, think about entering this one if you like it yourself.
Is this from the 2017 IPPA? Because I can't find Nan Deng's image. The grand prize winner of 2017 was Sebastiano Tomada, in Landscapes it was Christian Horgan and Nature it was Aaron Sandberg. :confused:

Swakopmund

View attachment 107454
View attachment 107452
View attachment 107453
View attachment 107455
View attachment 107456
View attachment 107458
View attachment 107457

View attachment 107459
I really like the simple lines of these buildings. And somehow different than I would have imagined.

Is this from the 2017 IPPA? Because I can't find Nan Deng's image. The grand prize winner of 2017 was Sebastiano Tomada, in Landscapes it was Christian Horgan and Nature it was Aaron Sandberg. :confused:
No, he was the 2017 MPA grand prize winner: http://mobilephotoawards.com/7th-annual-mpa-grand-prize/

I'm just guessing that anyone judging the IPPA will most likely be someone who would check out the MPA results.

Kayaking with Seals in Walvis Bay

This wasn’t in our original itinerary but I read about it on Tripadvisor and had it included. What a highlight! Would so do this one again.

We were picked up early in the morning from Swakopmund and driven to Walvis Bay, about 40 minutes away, where we met up with Jeanne Meintjies who started running her ‘kayaking with seals’ venture 20 years ago. Everybody said that it would never take off and now there are 2 other companies also doing it which she says is good because she cannot keep up with the demand.

She was such a lovely person and a keen bird watcher too and this area is simply brimming with sea birds. So much to my delight we got a bird watching tour too! For the twitchers in the group, the highlights for me were the Chestnut Banded Plover, Damara Tern, Great White Pelican and the Greater and Lesser Flamingos.

She also told us all about how the salt pans work and the salt industry. Fascinating.

Finally, she introduced us to the jackels which live in the area and feed off the dead baby seals.

Pics edited in Snapseed

Flamingos on the way with a salt truck in the distance
482E3ABB-B2C0-4134-94C5-4A60B4870C41.jpeg

The vast openness of the beach
BD6C4110-C952-4AFA-8411-7DF7D04BAA25.jpeg

One of the little jackals
A2D61721-591A-4FF2-8528-8C7B8DF61B97.jpeg

A wreak on the way
F10D6A89-36A6-4B69-9C2E-3CBE821AFC05.jpeg

Tom waiting to get into the kayak
C3C49572-90D4-45EF-BC9E-BCCD12E95249.jpeg

Early morning it’s swim school - the mothers take the baby seals out to teach them to swim and they are so cute. Curious as anything but shy. They love noise and the more noise you make the more they come to have a look.
4E6F2102-28A0-402A-881A-CA9996A6C636.jpeg

9A352756-A3D2-4607-9C56-6CF68F7BF0D4.jpeg

Harvesting the salt on the way back past the salt pans
BC2B9A35-E479-4DBB-B895-0F92599ED3A7.jpeg

This wasn’t in our original itinerary but I read about it on Tripadvisor and had it included. What a highlight! Would so do this one again.

We were picked up early in the morning from Swakopmund and driven to Walvis Bay, about 40 minutes away, where we met up with Jeanne Meintjies who started running her ‘kayaking with seals’ venture 20 years ago. Everybody said that it would never take off and now there are 2 other companies also doing it which she says is good because she cannot keep up with the demand.

She was such a lovely person and a keen bird watcher too and this area is simply brimming with sea birds. So much to my delight we got a bird watching tour too! For the twitchers in the group, the highlights for me were the Chestnut Banded Plover, Damara Tern, Great White Pelican and the Greater and Lesser Flamingos.

She also told us all about how the salt pans work and the salt industry. Fascinating.

Finally, she introduced us to the jackels which live in the area and feed off the dead baby seals.

Pics edited in Snapseed

View attachment 107539

View attachment 107538

View attachment 107542

A wreak on the way
View attachment 107540

View attachment 107541

Early morning it’s swim school - the mothers take the baby seals out to teach them to swim and they are so cute. Curious as anything but shy. They love noise and the more noise you make the more they come to have a look.
View attachment 107543
View attachment 107544

View attachment 107545

Ooh, what fun! I had no idea seals were so pouty looking.

Pics edited in Snapseed

View attachment 107539

View attachment 107538

View attachment 107542

A wreak on the way
View attachment 107540

View attachment 107541

View attachment 107543
View attachment 107544

View attachment 107545
The seals are absolutely precious and the salt harvest must have been interesting to see. What an adventure you’re having!! Thank you for sharing it with us.

Ooh, what fun! I had no idea seals were so pouty looking.
And what’s with the “ears”? I’ve never seen seals like that before - not even on wildlife programmes on tv.

Edit: I went to look up “Namibian seals” on Google and found that “the Namibian seal cull is considered the cruelest cull on earth”. That’s going some.:eek: I’m afraid I didn’t read any further. I wish I hadn’t looked now.:(

The Red Dunes of Sossusvlei

Three youngsters in our party did the hard walk
View attachment 107163

We did the ‘easy’ walk. That sand was soft. Hard grind. Tom in front trudging up the slope. No edits except size reduction.
View attachment 107164

In the dead pan. No edits.
View attachment 107165

To prove we were there!
View attachment 107166

Finally, when we flew out in the 6 seater the next day, I managed to get a shot of where we walked. We came in over the ridge on the top left of the dead pan (lowest ridge) - you can just see a pathway. The youngsters hiked the ridge on the top.

Snapseed
View attachment 107167

Another aerial shots of the dunes. No edits.
View attachment 107168

Next.. scenic flight along the coast
Wonderful photos of the dunes.

And what’s with the “ears”? I’ve never seen seals like that before - not even on wildlife programmes on tv.

Edit: I went to look up “Namibian seals” on Google and found that “the Namibian seal cull is considered the cruelest cull on earth”. That’s going some.:eek: I’m afraid I didn’t read any further. I wish I hadn’t looked now.:(
Oh dear, Jeanne never mentioned anything about it and she came across as quite a big conservation person. However, I know that there are thousands of them because there are almost no predators.

Edit: oh how horrible! Read all about it. Yes, very distressing.

Last edited:

Cruel seals?! Plugging ears “La, la, la, la...........

Cruel seals?! Plugging ears “La, la, la, la...........

It’s not the seals that are cruel.o_O I’m glad I didn’t read how they were culled or that would stay with me forever. There may be thousands of seals and they may need to be culled (?), but it’s the way it’s done that’s the problem.

It’s not the seals that are cruel.o_O I’m glad I didn’t read how they were culled or that would stay with me forever. There may be thousands of seals and they may need to be culled (?), but it’s the way it’s done that’s the problem.

Apparently my brain ignored the cull word. I would not have read it either.

Damaraland - Day 1 - broken down in the middle of nowhere
2CE5F3F0-CE69-4978-B769-64142523164D.jpeg

E6A44255-F7F9-48BA-B6CE-5BD0047CE611.jpeg

The Damaraland Camp was by far the most basic camp. The general restaurant/lounge/swimming pool area was very nice but the tented ‘villa’ felt a bit rickety and lots of little things didn’t seem to work. Anyhow the staff were great and the food very good.
273D29F7-EF8D-4B76-86B5-C8F2E94EF2A2.jpeg

Late afternoon the guide didn’t want to take us to the main river bed area because he said it would be too dusty which I think in hindsight we would have preferred to do. Anyhow, we took this incredibly bone-shaking ride into the middle of nowhere but did strike it lucky. We came across 4 black rhinos which few people get to see at this camp. We sat for forty minutes just watching them with a G&T and snacks and then at 7pm they wondered off and we decided to go home.

The truck splutters into action then dies. The guide tries several times and we get a couple of feet and then die. Tom says it sounds like dirty diesel and possibly air bubbles. The guide tries to radio the office but no reply and then the kitchen many times - ‘kombuis, kombuis, kombuis, come in’ (these words will live with us forever and become the source of much hilarity). It’s clear we have little reception. We are at least 50 minutes from camp by truck. However, Tom and I are surprisingly relaxed - I don’t think much phases us anymore. The guide starts mentioning a farm further down the track so I immediately ask how far it is and he says about a kilometre. It’s going to be getting dark soon and I suggest we walk. The guide sounds relieved. So off we go at 7.20pm.
3C5C559E-06F0-426D-A486-9D11C86051CD.jpeg

Much to my surprise, he takes no form of ‘provisions’. No torch, no water from the truck, no nothing. I have my water bottle and my iphone so I know I will have some form of light. The going wasn’t too bad and we had the tracks of the road to guide us but it was getting pretty dark by the time we were close and I can tell you that there were lions and hyenas out there although not too many in this area. We finally get to the ‘farm’ 46 minutes later in the pitch black. A small house with two lone guys and an alarmed area for the livestock to keep out the lions. They very kindly brought out chairs for us to sit on and we sat in the dark while the guide tries to get camp ‘kombuis, kombuis, kombuis - Doris waar is jy?’ (Doris where are you). Finally we get a response. To cut a long story short they get another truck to us along the main road which arrives about 50 minutes later and about 9.30pm we are back at the camp. The DH, being an accountant, has done the sums and reckons, according to his stride and the time it took us, the walk was about 3 kms.
D4DFCB7C-55C0-4863-A495-85B075F904DF.jpeg

After a quick supper and back in our pit, we discover no water. Urgh. We traipse down to another tented room with all our paraphernalia, get a shower and then go back and collapse into bed, pretty glad we are in one piece but also quite amused.

Last edited:
View attachment 107586
View attachment 107587

The Damaraland Camp was by far the most basic camp. The general restaurant/lounge/swimming pool area was very nice but the tented ‘villa’ felt a bit rickety and lots of little things didn’t seem to work. Anyhow the staff were great and the food very good.
View attachment 107588

Late afternoon the guide didn’t want to take us to the main river bed area because he said it would be too dusty which I think in hindsight we would have preferred to do. Anyhow, we took this incredibly bone-shaking ride into the middle of nowhere but did strike it lucky. We came across 4 black rhinos which few people get to see at this camp. We sat for forty minutes just watching them with a G&T and snacks and then at 7pm they wondered off and we decided to go home.

The truck splutters into action then dies. The guide tries several times and we get a couple of feet and then die. Tom says it sounds like dirty diesel and possibly air bubbles. The guide tries to radio the office but no reply and then the kitchen many times - ‘kombuis, kombuis, kombuis, come in’ (these words will live with us forever and become the source of much hilarity). It’s clear we have little reception. We are at least 50 minutes from camp by truck. However, Tom and I are surprisingly relaxed - I don’t think much phases us anymore. The guide starts mentioning a farm further down the track so I immediately ask how far it is and he says about a kilometre. It’s going to be getting dark soon and I suggest we walk. The guide sounds relieved. So off we go at 7.20pm.
View attachment 107589

Much to my surprise, he takes no form of ‘provisions’. No torch, no water from the truck, no nothing. I have my water bottle and my iphone so I know I will have some form of light. The going wasn’t too bad and we had the tracks of the road to guide us but it was getting pretty dark by the time we were close and I can tell you that there were lions and hyenas out there although not too many in this area. We finally get to the ‘farm’ 46 minutes later in the pitch black. A small house with two lone guys and an alarmed area for the livestock to keep out the lions. They very kindly brought out chairs for us to sit on and we sat in the dark while the guide tries to get camp ‘kombuis, kombuis, kombuis - Doris waar is jy?’ (Doris where are you). Finally we get a response. To cut a long story short they get another truck to us along the main road which arrives about 50 minutes later and about 9.30pm we are back at the camp. The DH, being an accountant, has done the sums and reckons, according to his stride and the time it took us, the walk was about 3 kms.
View attachment 107590
After a quick supper and back in our pit, we discover no water. Urgh. We traipse down to another tented room with all our paraphernalia, get a shower and then go back and collapse into bed, pretty glad we are in one piece but also quite amused.
That last photo is the best :thumbs:

View attachment 107586
View attachment 107587

View attachment 107588

View attachment 107589

View attachment 107590
As I said in my earlier post...what an adventure you are having!!

I’m so impressed with the calmness you showed throughout your day!

View attachment 107586
View attachment 107587

View attachment 107588

View attachment 107589

View attachment 107590

Adventure on top on adventure!

Back
Top Bottom