ImageArt’s Project 365 - 2022

Tue 16 Aug

Namibia Day 11 - Back over the border to SA

A five hour journey back over the border staying in Garies, a one horse town but with a great guesthouse.

72636CAC-FC7A-41BB-810F-24772ACB49E8.jpeg

02CBCA95-2953-45B6-958D-E4ED07891528.jpeg

Wed 17 Aug

Woke up this morning hoping to see the wild flowers of the area but cold and rain is setting in so disappointingly the flowers will not be open and it won’t be worth the trip along dirt roads to the flowers.

2B96B8D0-C973-4550-900F-B5E384459F41.jpeg

C1DF1E56-DC32-49B5-A1B8-BF02AC5CE22E.jpeg

The local info centre.

Last edited:
Thu 18 Aug

Lambert’s Bay

56046991-871E-488D-BD79-31A40B95FF51.png

Another windy rainy day so the walkway in the distance to the Bird Island and the gannet colony was closed. Another disappointment.

A2018106-8502-40B9-AEE3-607102739F2C.jpeg

The view from my bedroom at the AirBnb. There is a gate from the property straight onto the rocks but too cold and windy for a walk I’m afraid.

You’re back! What a trip. Did you notice, when you were in Namibia, that there was no condensation when you took a shower? When we stayed at Bushman’s Kloof (on the way to Namibia) we noticed this phenomenon. We’re still not sure why or how.:confused:
I have to say that I didn’t particularly notice this but we were always rushing to get to the next place. It must be the dryness of the place.

Back home tomorrow. Looking forward to getting home now because it’s damn cold and rainy in SA. I sat in bed with a hot water bottle most of today but out doing last minute shopping in Stellenbosch now and the sun is out. Coffee shop warmer anyway!

Where are we going next??
The English county of Devon :). The couple that introduced me to my DH is over from Oz on Friday. They’ve invited me to join them hiking in Devon for six days on the Lizard Peninsula. Very sadly my DH can’t come because of golfing commitments. Neither of us have been to Devon.

It’s a lot of driving for me because it’s a hassle putting one of them onto my car insurance. It will be 5 hours driving plus on the first day. :eek: Will just have to take our time. Will probably leave super early. They spend the weekend with us and then we leave next Tuesday.

The English county of Devon :). The couple that introduced me to my DH is over from Oz on Friday. They’ve invited me to join them hiking in Devon for six days on the Lizard Peninsula. Very sadly my DH can’t come because of golfing commitments. Neither of us have been to Devon.

It’s a lot of driving for me because it’s a hassle putting one of them onto my car insurance. It will be 5 hours driving plus on the first day. :eek: Will just have to take our time. Will probably leave super early. They spend the weekend with us and then we leave next Tuesday.
I spent a whole month in Devon when I was 16 - language school for foreign kids in Paignton. Unfortunately I don’t remember more than disco, drinking shandy and a local guy called Adrian :oops::cool:

Thu 18 Aug

Lambert’s Bay

View attachment 184596
Another windy rainy day so the walkway in the distance to the Bird Island and the gannet colony was closed. Another disappointment.

View attachment 184597
The view from my bedroom at the AirBnb. There is a gate from the property straight onto the rocks but too cold and windy for a walk I’m afraid.
Incredible view. Wow. I’m jealous indeed. :hearteyes:

On our way to Aus, I see an ostrich caught in a fence. We turn back and at first glance it looks like the bird is well dead but as we are pulling away it struggles and we realise it is very much alive so we stop. The poor creature got it’s foot tightly stuck in the wire at the top of the fence while it was trying to get over. It’s mate, on the other side, has run off although I didn’t see this. We flag down a lorry driver to see if he has any wire cutters. Our friend gives the bird a long drink of water (picture 1) and I then cover the bird’s head to keep it subdued (picture 2) so that the lorry driver can free the foot using a hammer. My sister and I then turn the bird away from the fence to free both legs and move away quickly to avoid the legs while our friend takes away the ’blindfold’. The poor bird tries to stand up once but sits down panting. I think it was pretty exhausted and shocked. We left it there hoping it wouldn’t try and leap the fence again and we contacted someone at the next town who apparently got hold of the local farmer.

I was so concerned about helping the bird, I didn’t even think of taking a photo but here are stills from a video my sister took on her iPhone 8.

View attachment 184247
OMG… that poor Ostrich!! :coldsweat: What a beautiful thing you did (kindred spirits… I would have done the same.) :notworthy:

Mon 15 Aug

Namibia Day 10 - Quiver Forest and Puncture.

We are now on our way back to SA. We had congratulated ourselves on not getting a puncture because it’s pretty much standard you will get one and low and behold we got one. Fortunately we stopped in Helmeringhausen to have coffee and noticed the back tyre was really low. It was a slow puncture but there was an excellent small garage there and they took off the tyre and repaired it. Very lucky even though we knew how to do it ourselves.

View attachment 184517
View attachment 184518
Quiver Tree Forest.

Due to our puncture we only just got there in time before the sun went down. Fabulous light but a bit rushed.

View attachment 184519
Shadow Selfie
Looks like the puncture worked in your favour - just in time for a golden hour! Quiver Tree shot is amazing.

Lizard is nice, a great lighthouse, but the beach is miniscule! Lovely photogenic coast though, looking forward to more IOTM nom material!

Back
Top Bottom