Larry the App Guy: My App Reviews

Is it worth the $9.99US or $13.99Cdn, I thought so and bought it.
I wonder if I should get it, it’s a great price... :confused: I have an older iPad, although it does run iOS 10.3.3 (which I think will work with Affinity). I guess it would be good to have in case I ever get a new iPad... hmmmm.

I wonder if I should get it, it’s a great price... :confused: I have an older iPad, although it does run iOS 10.3.3 (which I think will work with Affinity). I guess it would be good to have in case I ever get a new iPad... hmmmm.
It is a good price, but according to the specs, you need an iPad Air or later to run it, and according to FundyBrian's experience, you can't even buy it if you don't have an iPad that meets the reqs. Yes, if you get a new iPad and decide you want the app sometime in the future, you might end up spending an extra $10 (if you don't catch another sale), but if you go the route of buying apps you *might* want in the future, you'll spend a lot more than $10 (as some of us have learned *cough* *cough*).

As an excuse to buy a new iPad, on the other hand...

It is a good price, but according to the specs, you need an iPad Air or later to run it, and according to FundyBrian's experience, you can't even buy it if you don't have an iPad that meets the reqs. Yes, if you get a new iPad and decide you want the app sometime in the future, you might end up spending an extra $10 (if you don't catch another sale), but if you go the route of buying apps you *might* want in the future, you'll spend a lot more than $10 (as some of us have learned *cough* *cough*).

As an excuse to buy a new iPad, on the other hand...
Okay... thank you! You've talked me out of it. :thumbs: :D

A new iPad is not in my immediate future.... but someday perhaps!

Depends on whether you want to take the time to learn it, Catherine. It’s as complicated as Photoshop. It’s right up my street because I’m into complicated manipulation but not sure I would bother otherwise.

If you are planning to update your device you can buy it through iTunes on a desktop computer and then you have it for when you update. $10 is not that expensive but like everything depends on your circumstances. I bought iTunes cards at Costco with a 12-13% discount and had not spent much on Black Friday as I expected.

Yes the learning curve is going to be pretty long, I have used Photoshop and some other editors which helps. There are lots of good videos around which is even better.

Me too I got an iPad4 and know that it would not run this app even I have iOS 10.3.3 Thinking of buying it for future upgrade To get it for Desktop????????

Affinity Photo by Serif Labs

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/affinity-photo/id1117941080?mt=8

First off this is the lowest price I have seen for this app, regular price has been as high as $39.99CDN and then $27.99 and now its $13.99CDN ($9.99US).

At this point all I will say is it is incredible what it can do....

FundyBrian will do focus stacking which I think a long time ago you were looking for, this has it.

Panoramic stitching, this has it but will take a few days before I try it but should be able to export to whatever size you want.

When you are done you can save to about 8 different formats and you can even rescale the image larger though again have barely scratched the surface so far.

Works pretty good on my Air 2 but have seen comments that the Air 2 is the very minimum this will run on.

Huge app at around 1gig. When I downloaded to the desktop, which I always do with large apps, it said it was almost 800mb to download. Installed on my ipad it currently says it’s using 1.07gig.

It is going to take some time before I would be able to do a complete review or even a basic one but thought I should at least mention the sale price. Doesn’t say for how long.

Is it worth the $9.99US or $13.99Cdn, I thought so and bought it.

View attachment 103011
I stitched together about 8 photos in Affinity and it worked beautifully, but I can’t upload it to Mobi no matter how I save it. How do you load your panos here Larry?

I stitched together about 8 photos in Affinity and it worked beautifully, but I can’t upload it to Mobi no matter how I save it. How do you load your panos here Larry?
Mobitog will not allow very large images, max length would be 3000 pixels so generally it I want to post I will rescale it in big photo to the 3000 then post it. Larger files it can handle but will take longer to upload and if it is a png for example I will get an error at the end, the odd time if I try to upload larger images it will come back ad say its too big and quit. So me rescaling save me the headache of issues with large images and uploads faster

20BC031A-E1DC-40DA-BDEE-754F8DAAD3EC.jpeg

I went into iColorama and reduced the size there. Thanks for the advice Lzed Larry.:thumbs: I was really impressed with the stitching in Affinity, and if there are any odd areas, there’s a tutorial that shows how to remove them.

View attachment 103334

I went into iColorama and reduced the size there. Thanks for the advice Lzed Larry.:thumbs: I was really impressed with the stitching in Affinity, and if there are any odd areas, there’s a tutorial that shows how to remove them.
Wonderful! Which camera app did you use in the first place to take the photos? Can’t wait to have a go.

Yes, I use iColorama the whole time to reduce the size of an image. Just find it the easiest.

Depends on whether you want to take the time to learn it, Catherine. It’s as complicated as Photoshop. It’s right up my street because I’m into complicated manipulation but not sure I would bother otherwise.

Photoshop isn’t complicated. It is just feature rich. Each function is easy enough.

Photoshop isn’t complicated. It is just feature rich. Each function is easy enough.
I use to teach Photoshop and it’s too difficult for the average person. The learning curve is too great to achieve mundane tasks therefore I consider it complicated. For example, text in Photoshop really isn’t simple. You keep on having to activate the text icon each time you want to make a simple change to a part of a text box. My sister gets me to edit her business cards because she can’t get her head around how it works. It has it’s idiosyncrasies.

I agree to a certain extent that some of the features in iColorama are out of place but I think we have been conditioned by Microsoft and Apple to think in a certain way and when it’s different we consider it illogical.

Wonderful! Which camera app did you use in the first place to take the photos? Can’t wait to have a go.

Yes, I use iColorama the whole time to reduce the size of an image. Just find it the easiest.
Thank you Ann. I just snapped away with the native cam and then stitched in Affinity. It was just to test Affinity’s pano ability.

View attachment 103334

Pano looks really good. The problem area with any stitching app is things like the branches of trees but I don’t see any issues with this one. Ocassionally you will get a very slight ghosting where the images overlap. How many images did you stitch together? What was final size of the pano?

Pano looks really good. The problem area with any stitching app is things like the branches of trees but I don’t see any issues with this one. Ocassionally you will get a very slight ghosting where the images overlap. How many images did you stitch together? What was final size of the pano?
I stitched 12 images together. The size was (wait for it) 15459 x 2699!:eek:

I use to teach Photoshop and it’s too difficult for the average person. The learning curve is too great to achieve mundane tasks therefore I consider it complicated. For example, text in Photoshop really isn’t simple. You keep on having to activate the text icon each time you want to make a simple change to a part of a text box. My sister gets me to edit her business cards because she can’t get her head around how it works. It has it’s idiosyncrasies.

I agree to a certain extent that some of the features in iColorama are out of place but I think we have been conditioned by Microsoft and Apple to think in a certain way and when it’s different we consider it illogical.

I’m really surprised to hear you say that about Photoshop. I know so many people who dabble with Photoshop with no training at all and do perfectly well with it. Of course many would be using the simpler Photoshop Elements but the majority of functions work the same.
What is true about Photoshop Is that even people who use it every day never need to use all the different functions - some are quite specialized. So, very few people know, or need to know, “all” about Photoshop. I wouldn’t claim to. But then I don’t need to either. But the parts I need I know quite well. Likewise with Illustrator, Lightroom, and InDesign.
Also, Photoshop isn’t the end-all for certain high end functions like panorama stitching or focus stacking or HDR. It has the rudimentary stuff and does that reasonably well but other specialized programs like PTGui for Panoramas, or Aurora and PhotoMatix for HDR and Zerene Stacker for focus stacking each go into greater depth than Photoshop. And, yes, I have and use them all. And LRTimelapse. Coming from that experience, yes, I find iColorama weird and illogical to get used to.

I’ve been thinking about this topic along another line and I think it fits quite well here.
The problem of Presets.
With the preset style of editing we have entered into the “dumbing us down” era of photo editing. People using the presets have no way to know what needs to happen in order to achieve the effect of the preset. People become button tappers rather than actually knowing the fundamentals of what makes photo editing work.
In my opinion, if someone wants to learn about photo editing it is essential to stay far away from any apps whose primary focus is presets. They will not learn anything from those apps. All they can do is try to remember which presets they like. To me that doesn’t qualify as photo editing. All they do is apply someone else’s preset. It’s the same as emailing your photo off for someone else to edit it for you.
Much better to learn how to properly use all the basic controls and only when they have a thorough understanding to allow presets to enter the scene.
True, presets can be handy, especially if you made them yourself and know how to achieve the results. But if you cannot reproduce the results of a preset yourself then by all means stay away from them or your advancement in photo editing will be stunted.

I’ve been thinking about this topic along another line and I think it fits quite well here.
The problem of Presets.
With the preset style of editing we have entered into the “dumbing us down” era of photo editing. People using the presets have no way to know what needs to happen in order to achieve the effect of the preset. People become button tappers rather than actually knowing the fundamentals of what makes photo editing work.
In my opinion, if someone wants to learn about photo editing it is essential to stay far away from any apps whose primary focus is presets. They will not learn anything from those apps. All they can do is try to remember which presets they like. To me that doesn’t qualify as photo editing. All they do is apply someone else’s preset. It’s the same as emailing your photo off for someone else to edit it for you.
Much better to learn how to properly use all the basic controls and only when they have a thorough understanding to allow presets to enter the scene.
True, presets can be handy, especially if you made them yourself and know how to achieve the results. But if you cannot reproduce the results of a preset yourself then by all means stay away from them or your advancement in photo editing will be stunted.
OK Even presets have sliders to tune to your liking
For us to edit the image like Photoshop there are sliders and we have to increase or decrease the sliders to get the effect that we want Isn't that the same as presets
Just my thinking and I used a lot of the apps iColorama, IC Painter, Metabrush, Enlight Snapseed etc, etc to achieve the effect to my image

OK Even presets have sliders to tune to your liking
For us to edit the image like Photoshop there are sliders and we have to increase or decrease the sliders to get the effect that we want Isn't that the same as presets
Just my thinking and I used a lot of the apps iColorama, IC Painter, Metabrush, Enlight Snapseed etc, etc to achieve the effect to my image

A slider on a preset is just adjusting how much of someone else’s effect to add to your picture. I’m just suggesting to stay away from presets and use the real controls like contrast, highlights, shadows, colour balance, curves, etc. Until you really understand how things work and you can reproduce any preset you see on your own. Lots of iOS editing apps provide those controls. Enlight, Snapseed, Leonardo, the Photos app, etc. They also have presets - ignore them. To really learn how photo editing works deep down stick to the manual controls. When you know them well you can look at your image and know what it needs and what tools you need to use to get there. No more guessing. No more endless tapping.
When you can knowledgeably use all the standard editing tools then it might be safe to try out someone else’s presets. If you can’t figure out how it is done then it’s time to go back and learn some more.
One of the dangers of presets is that they were often originally made for a specific situation, for instance a very dull day, and when applied to a different situation, for instance a more contrast scene, some of your image tones may be pushed off scale and you might not realize at the time the image data you are losing.
You can also easily become dependent on presets and you really don’t know how to create the effect you are using. It leads you down a path of non-learning, where you don’t know what you are doing. Your creative potential is limited.

Back
Top Bottom