Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
From ArsTechnica:

On June 8, the merchant, Web host, and entertainment behemoth will automatically enroll the devices in Amazon Sidewalk. The new wireless mesh service will share a small slice of your Internet bandwidth with nearby neighbors who don’t have connectivity and help you to their bandwidth when you don’t have a connection.​
By default, Amazon devices including Alexa, Echo, Ring, security cams, outdoor lights, motion sensors, and Tile trackers will enroll in the system. And since only a tiny fraction of people take the time to change default settings, that means millions of people will be co-opted into the program whether they know anything about it or not. The Amazon webpage linked above says Sidewalk "is currently only available in the US."​

Full article:

From ArsTechnica:

On June 8, the merchant, Web host, and entertainment behemoth will automatically enroll the devices in Amazon Sidewalk. The new wireless mesh service will share a small slice of your Internet bandwidth with nearby neighbors who don’t have connectivity and help you to their bandwidth when you don’t have a connection.​
By default, Amazon devices including Alexa, Echo, Ring, security cams, outdoor lights, motion sensors, and Tile trackers will enroll in the system. And since only a tiny fraction of people take the time to change default settings, that means millions of people will be co-opted into the program whether they know anything about it or not. The Amazon webpage linked above says Sidewalk "is currently only available in the US."​

Full article:

This is it. Skynet is born.
Next amazon will be genetically engineering and breeding employees so they can wirelessly harvest energy from thier bodies as they scurry around warehouses fullfilling orders 16 hours a day.

harvest energy from thier bodies as they scurry around warehouses fullfilling orders 16 hours a day.
Hmm... I imagine that knee braces and ankle braces could be engineered to produce electricity from mechanical motion, with the captured power stored in batteries on the braces themselves. It could start out as a program of providing free braces to warehouse employees who need them, eventually ramping up to requiring all employees to wear them (and to take them off and plug them into a socket to transfer the stored electricity at the end of shift). Full exoskeletons would be the next step from that. I suppose the exoskeletons could also have small motors to help with lifting and such for those who need it, although those employees would have their pay docked according to the amount of electricity used.

Eh, if I can think of it, I'm sure Amazon already has.

Eh, if I can think of it, I'm sure Amazon already has.
Indeed.
a6E21Vq_460swp.webp

Turned mine off the day before it launched... I only have one or two of the devices plugged in anymore anyway... going to start replacing with the little Siri devices... eventually. Sounds like they are finally going to be moving in the right direction. Cancelled Prime last year.

Turned mine off the day before it launched... I only have one or two of the devices plugged in anymore anyway... going to start replacing with the little Siri devices... eventually. Sounds like they are finally going to be moving in the right direction. Cancelled Prime last year.
Never had Alexa. Always concerned that someone might be listening in. Would cancel Prime but the DH can’t do without the US Open tennis and other sports. I wish I could do without Amazon.co.uk but trying to be less dependent on it. At least Bezo’s ex is doing something constructive.

Sadly, I can’t live without Prime… or Amazon. I just hate shopping too much and one can find literally anything on Amazon. :grin:
You would be surprised... once I find the item(s) I am looking for on Amazon, I almost always find it from the seller or another seller at the same price or less... and free shipping. I have also gone back to eBay and searching for wonderful things on Etsy. Also, we are Target Red Card holders... free shipping with that.

You would be surprised... once I find the item(s) I am looking for on Amazon, I almost always find it from the seller or another seller at the same price or less... and free shipping. I have also gone back to eBay and searching for wonderful things on Etsy. Also, we are Target Red Card holders... free shipping with that.
Certainly I have occasionally found items cheaper elsewhere. Now that sellers are being forced to pay VAT as they should, definitely find it cheaper on other sites.

Back
Top Bottom