Ann’s Arizona

The wows keep on coming…

Bryce Canyon

IMG_1973.jpeg
IMG_1921.jpeg
IMG_6158.jpeg

IMG_6159.jpeg

And yesterday, White Pocket. It started off a grey day but ended up being perfect.

We were supposed to go to Zion today but the weather not great so going to try and do it on our way to Las Vegas tomorrow.

First one taken, using the Vivid Warm setting in the native camera app
IMG_6160.jpeg

No edits for the rest
IMG_2054.jpeg
IMG_2128.jpeg
IMG_2094.jpeg

So interesting. The Bryce Canyon landscape is impossibly jagged, while the White Pocket landscape looks like it's flowing.

I drove across the country once with some friends. Started out from San Francisco with me driving. Somewhere in Nevada, we switched drivers, and I got some sleep. I woke up in Utah, surrounded by mesas with everything in shades of purple and lavender. It was like a hallucination.

So interesting. The Bryce Canyon landscape is impossibly jagged, while the White Pocket landscape looks like it's flowing.

I drove across the country once with some friends. Started out from San Francisco with me driving. Somewhere in Nevada, we switched drivers, and I got some sleep. I woke up in Utah, surrounded by mesas with everything in shades of purple and lavender. It was like a hallucination.
It’s quite incredible how much rock formation has occurred in this area. I presume it’s on a fault line with all this activity. Do you not worry, Ted, about being on the San Andreas fault? I do remember the quake of 1989.

It’s quite incredible how much rock formation has occurred in this area. I presume it’s on a fault line with all this activity. Do you not worry, Ted, about being on the San Andreas fault? I do remember the quake of 1989.
The thing about earthquakes is that there's a lot you can do to mitigate the risk -- where you live (substantial portions of the faults are mapped), what kind of ground you're on, and whether your building construction uses modern "earthquake aware" techniques. In the 1989 earthquake, whose epicenter was not too far away, we had a few jars fall off shelves in the kitchen and some cracks in the chimney, but nothing worse. And big quakes are not that common here -- 1989 was the year we moved into this house, and in the 34 years since, there've been only minor rumbles.

Oh boy, never go to a National Park in the US on a Thanksgiving Weekend! I’m afraid, David deepop , I will not go away with great memories of Zion. Not because it isn’t really beautiful, but because there were just HORDES of people. We did the short Overlook Trail and people were almost pushing past on narrow ledges with precipitous edges. Then when we got to the Visitors Centre we took 50 minutes to get a parking place. I went to stand in the bus queue. Finally got to the end after 40 minutes and my DH still hadn’t arrived. At that point I was honestly ready to pack it in. We had a two hour, forty minute drive to do at the end of the day to Las Vegas. In the end my DH persuaded me to do half of our original walk. We still had to queue to get the bus back and when we finally got to Las Vegas, the traffic was unreal. 40 minutes to do a mile on top of the original time. And then 30 minutes in a hotel check-in queue. I have never queued do much in one day! Thank goodness we had organised our own supper. No need to go out and hunt for somewhere to eat. Not a day to remember but ironically I will!

So one of the highlights of the day was seeing a field of bison. Never seen them before. Very difficult to photograph especially with the snow.

Snapseed.jpeg

People at the end of the Overlook Trail
IMG_2238.jpeg

View at the Scout Lookout Trail
IMG_6215.jpeg

Ok, so been to Las Vegas now and have ticked the box. We did enjoy the Michael Jackson One Cirque du Soleil show, a real tribute to MJ.

And it kept us fit! :lol: Long distances to walk to everything.

It was an opportunity to test out the iPhone 15 Pro Max at night and I have to say the results were stunning I thought, both the telephoto and main camera lenses.

Main Camera
IMG_2313.jpeg

Telephoto Lens
IMG_2312.jpeg

Main Camera
IMG_2351.jpeg

Last day in Vegas glad to say. Went out and tried some ICM with one of my favourite apps, Overcam. This image is a combination of an ICM and a straight image, both taken in the app and blended and masked in iColorama.

IMG_6480.png

Straight Overcam with tuning in Snapseed
Snapseed.jpeg

Last day in Vegas glad to say. Went out and tried some ICM with one of my favourite apps, Overcam. This image is a combination of an ICM and a straight image, both taken in the app and blended and masked in iColorama.

View attachment 198211

Straight Overcam with tuning in Snapseed
View attachment 198212
I never did get the draw of Las Vegas…..

On our way back to Scottsdale we stopped at Hoover Dam. Incredibly impressive! To think it was built between 1931-1935. The bridge was built around 2009.

Here are two ultra wide shots, first from the dam wall and then from the bridge.

Snapseed.jpeg
Snapseed.jpeg

The area around it was so barren! So much of Arizona reminded me of parts of Namibia.

Snapseed.jpeg

We went to Carefree today to have coffee which is close to where we are staying and then went for a walk in the Jewel of the Creek Preserve. Just a lovely walk.

There are loads of shops selling large garden rusted steel art or furniture as well as ceramic and glass in Carefree.

IMG_6633.jpeg

And couldn’t resist this piece of art. Wild donkeys here are called burros.
Snapseed.jpeg

Snapseed

View on the hike
Snapseed.jpeg

An extraordinary cactus taken with a sideways pano. I should have got my DH to stand next to it so you could see how tall it was.
IMG_6637.jpeg

I decided not to play golf today with my DH. The course was very expensive and I quite like sitting in the cart with my binoculars, bird watching or looking out for animals especially if it’s in the afternoon. I enjoy this just as much.

A little rabbit hiding in the bushes

Snapseed.jpeg

I also had an opportunity to wander through some of the rough and photograph the interesting plants.

HipstamaticPhoto-723358494.254505.jpeg
IMG_6655.jpeg

I decided not to play golf today with my DH. The course was very expensive and I quite like sitting in the cart with my binoculars, bird watching or looking out for animals especially if it’s in the afternoon. I enjoy this just as much.

View attachment 198362

I also had an opportunity to wander through some of the rough and photograph the interesting plants.

View attachment 198363View attachment 198364
That cactus really looks alive, with a weird hairstyle and wawing to you :D:inlove:

View attachment 198362

I love the last cactus image!

View attachment 198362

Third one nominated for IOTM.

Back
Top Bottom