Ann's Asia 3 Month Countdown

27 Mar

Gosh, am I that far behind! The last days in Hong Kong were brutal and I slept badly with everything whirring through my head that needed to be done.

I rushed out today because I got an unexpected bank withdrawal from the internet provider which I had cancelled. I really didn't need this with everything I had to do. After being polite through clenched teeth they tell me that the previous bill only goes up to the 24th and I cancelled to finish on the 30th so they take the whole lot and then give you a refund. Typical!

The good news was that their offices are opposite my favourite coffee shop so at least I could calm down with a cuppa.

Back through my local mall to find a taxi, Harvey Nichols dept store had some great window displays and they always produce some interesting reflections.

Jack London + Robusta

View attachment 91630
Oh, those situations are beyond annoying!

28 Mar

I had to look back at my iPhone to see what I did on this day.

No food left in the house, so we are out for supper at our local mall. Another interesting window display. Had to use the gif for this!

View attachment 91631
HA!! Too cute!

29 Mar

First day of packing and this is all I have!

View attachment 91632
Wow! That's pretty good! And I see droll little faces on the boxes. :lol: (Edit: but not when you zoom in... just looking at them from my iPhone they look like this---> [emoji58])

Apr 2nd

Day 2 Tokyo

Tom's remark about sums it up for me when it comes to Tokyo. 'Remarkable in it's unremarkable-ness'. We expected a very modern city with massive high rises. Actually, being an earthquake region it's probably not surprising that the buildings are much lower but we were also surprised at how very ordinary the buildings were.

Much of the place has the feel of the 70s, with typical nondescript buildings of that era. Our hotel certainly felt like it came from that era as did many of the shops. I don't think it helps that it still has a winter landscape and brown vegetation.

We did a half day tour and then spent the afternoon sightseeing with a colleague/friend of Tom's. I would use the word underwhelmed for the day.

Observations:

It's the land of the vending machine
Absolutely no j-walking
Women are marginalised
They are extremely polite people
English is virtually non-existent and few signs are in English
Twin beds in hotels is the norm
Restaurants cater for single people with lots of counters and bar stools.

The tallest part of Tokyo
View attachment 91639

View attachment 91640
Very interesting... not how I envisioned it either. Eek re jay walking... I'd be SO arrested. :feet:

3 Apr

Day 3 in Japan

We took a tour out from Tokyo to Nikko to see a famous shrine there, the lake and a waterfall. The details on the shrines were beautiful. It started snowing when we were at the waterfall.

IMG_2557.JPG
IMG_2621.JPG
IMG_2599.JPG

IMG_2709.JPG

3 Apr

Day 3 in Japan

We took a tour out from Tokyo to Nikko to see a famous shrine there, the lake and a waterfall. The details on the shrines were beautiful. It started snowing when we were at the waterfall.

View attachment 91753 View attachment 91754 View attachment 91755

View attachment 91756
That's more like it isn't it. Gorgeous images. My friends love Japan and are going there this year and driving themselves around the country. And no, they don't speak/read Japanese.:eek: I expect they'll have some tales to tell. Have you taken a communal bath yet?

4 Apr

Day 4 in Japan

We took the bullet train today to Takayama which was quite exciting. The change of driver and ticket officers looked a bit like the changing of the guard and the cleaning staff - pink for women and blue for men for this train station - looked like hospital orderlies with their watches pinned to their uniform. I was sorry afterwards that I didn't get a photo. Also the ticket officers bow as they enter and exit the carriages!

We had decided to give a trip to Mt Fuji a miss because we had such a tight schedule so we were over the moon when we looked out of the window and saw it. A freebie!

IMG_2783.JPG

Takayama was full of surprises especially as coming in on the train it looked almost industrial. Firstly we discovered the Hida Takayama Museum of Art which had an exhibition of some of the finest glassware of the Art Deco and Art Nouveau period including some beautiful Lalique pieces.

IMG_2913.JPG

IMG_2964.JPG

Then the folk village at the top of the hill was well worth the hike.

IMG_3021.JPG

Finally we got back to town as it was getting dark where I knew there were a couple of roads with old traditional Japanese houses. Oh dear the shops and houses looked fascinating but we were too late. That meant getting up early the next morning to have a wander before our 11.30am bus....

5 Apr

Day 5 of Japan

We got up early to get into town. So much to see and so little time! Absolutely wonderful little shops selling traditional Japanese crafts and knick-knacks in traditional Japanese little shops. I wish we had had more time..

IMG_2176.JPG
IMG_2177.JPG

3 Apr

Day 3 in Japan

View attachment 91753 View attachment 91754 View attachment 91755

View attachment 91756
4 Apr

Day 4 in Japan

We took the bullet train today to Takayama which was quite exciting. The change of driver and ticket officers looked a bit like the changing of the guard and the cleaning staff - pink for women and blue for men for this train station - looked like hospital orderlies with their watches pinned to their uniform. I was sorry afterwards that I didn't get a photo. Also the ticket officers bow as they enter and exit the carriages!

We had decided to give a trip to Mt Fuji a miss because we had such a tight schedule so we were over the moon when we looked out of the window and saw it. A freebie!

View attachment 91762

Takayama was full of surprises especially as coming in on the train it looked almost industrial. Firstly we discovered the Hida Takayama Museum of Art which had an exhibition of some of the finest glassware of the Art Deco and Art Nouveau period including some beautiful Lalique pieces.

View attachment 91763
View attachment 91765

Then the folk village at the top of the hill was well worth the hike.

View attachment 91766

Finally we got back to town as it was getting dark where I knew there were a couple of roads with old traditional Japanese houses. Oh dear the shops and houses looked fascinating but we were too late. That meant getting up early the next morning to have a wander before our 11.30am bus....
More wonderful images, Ann! That is definitely a bonus that you got to see Mt. Fuji!

That's more like it isn't it. Gorgeous images. My friends love Japan and are going there this year and driving themselves around the country. And no, they don't speak/read Japanese.:eek: I expect they'll have some tales to tell. Have you taken a communal bath yet?
I have to say that I am still rather disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high or also with everything looking so brown and dry perhaps not as pretty as it should be. Yes, there are pretty traditional houses here and there but newer houses are shapeless prefabs. Further south is getting better and tomorrow is Kyoto which people have told me is the best.

Some of the landscape we passed on the train was beautiful but so much industrial construction and ugly steel bridges. The photos nobody shows you.

What most of the towns look like
Snapseed.jpg

Takayama from the hill - honestly the best vista
IMG_2189.JPG
IMG_2190.JPG
IMG_2191.JPG
IMG_2192.JPG

I was keen to try the baths (onsens) but it's not Tom's thing and any spare time I have I try to catch up with correspondence.

I have to say that I am still rather disappointed. Maybe my expectations were too high or also with everything looking so brown and dry perhaps not as pretty as it should be. Yes, there are pretty traditional houses here and there but newer houses are shapeless prefabs. Further south is getting better and tomorrow is Kyoto which people have told me is the best.

Some of the landscape we passed on the train was beautiful but so much industrial construction and ugly steel bridges. The photos nobody shows you.

View attachment 91769
View attachment 91770 View attachment 91771 View attachment 91772 View attachment 91773

I was keen to try the baths (onsens) but it's not Tom's thing and any spare time I have I try to catch up with correspondence.
Onsens, that's the word. I was trying to think of it. My friends are super conservative and prudish, so I was amazed when they said they'd taken a bath with others armed only with a towel the size of a flannel! I think they enjoyed Kyoto.

View attachment 91769
View attachment 91770 View attachment 91771 View attachment 91772 View attachment 91773

The countryside is really beautiful.... Mt. Fuji - incredible!! I see what you mean about those homes....quite bland.

Apr 6

Day 6

More Observations
  • The Japanese are extremely polite people (yes, I know I have said that before but they really are).
  • Smoking is still big and restaurants still have smoking and non-smoking sections. Trains have smoking rooms which are also everywhere in airports, stations etc.
  • So much vacuum packed and processed food! I wonder if the Japanese will maintain their longevity.
  • Loos are clean and I love the warm seats! Public toilets often don't have a means of drying your hands so Japanese people carry pretty little flannels in their handbags to dry their hands. I have started doing the same and I think it is a great idea. No paper towel waste or hand dryers.
  • The coffee has been pretty good wherever we have been.
  • Beds are hard and one side of pillows have bean bag filling. The best thing I did was bring my own pillow!
  • They certainly have lots of little things in their shops that you don't see anywhere else. Such a pity I have had so little time to shop.
Kanazawa

Many tourists hire kimonos in Japan, especially Chinese and walk around taking selfies but actually not that many Japanese still wear kimonos except for special occasions. However we happened to be in Kanazawa during a 'tea ceremony convention' and much to our surprise there were Japanese ladies in kimonos everywhere!
IMG_4438.JPG

We were also lucky to see 2 traditional brides.
IMG_4440.JPG

Footwear is a modern plastic shoe and special socks separate the big toe from the other toes as seen in this bridal shot.

Public Smoking = Egads!!! :barf::barf::barf: That would be hard on me.

Warm loo seats?!? = Bliss! :mobibabe:

I can imagine the interesting things in shops - I lived across the street from a really cool Japanese market called Mitsuwa, and used to love browsing around.

The wedding attire (and bride) is gorgeous!

Apr 6

Day 6

More Observations
  • The Japanese are extremely polite people (yes, I know I have said that before but they really are).
  • Smoking is still big and restaurants still have smoking and non-smoking sections. Trains have smoking rooms which are also everywhere in airports, stations etc.
  • So much vacuum packed and processed food! I wonder if the Japanese will maintain their longevity.
  • Loos are clean and I love the warm seats! Public toilets often don't have a means of drying your hands so Japanese people carry pretty little flannels in their handbags to dry their hands. I have started doing the same and I think it is a great idea. No paper towel waste or hand dryers.
  • Beds are hard and one side of pillows have bean bag filling. The best thing I did was bring my own pillow!
  • They certainly have lots of little things in their shops that you don't see anywhere else. Such a pity I have had so little time to shop.
Kanazawa

Many tourists hire kimonos in Japan, especially Chinese and walk around taking selfies but actually not that many Japanese still wear kimonos except for special occasions. However we happened to be in Kanazawa during a 'tea ceremony convention' and much to our surprise there were Japanese ladies in kimonos everywhere!
View attachment 91907
View attachment 91908

Footwear is a modern plastic shoe and special socks separate the big toe from the other toes as seen in this bridal shot.
Another great collection of images and observations, Ann. The shot of the bride and groom is marvelous!

Apr 6

Day 6

More Observations
Kanazawa

View attachment 91907
View attachment 91908

Super images Ann. But smoking? Who knew? I would never have guessed that the Japanese were big smokers. The bridal photo is a winner.

Apr 7

Day 7

Hiroshima: a sombre day

We didn't go through the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum because of the crowds but I had read that the Children's Peace Memorial Hall was free and actually better because of the testimony of the victims. I was completely choked after going through there and that was enough for me. Stories of people's skin peeling off is just beyond horrifying. The worst is the world still hasn't learnt. Still a handful of powerful men unleash untold horrors on their subjects.

The A-bomb Dome. The bomb exploded 600ft in the air almost above this building. Everything around it was obliterated.
IMG_2275.JPG

Before:
IMG_2276.JPG

After
IMG_2277.JPG

A weeping willow next to the Peace Memorial Park
IMG_2278.JPG

Apr 7

Day 7

Hiroshima: a sombre day

We didn't go through the Hiroshima Peace Memorial Museum because of the crowds but I had read that the Children's Peace Memorial Hall was free and actually better because of the testimony of the victims. I was completely choked after going through there and that was enough for me. Stories of people's skin peeling off is just beyond horrifying. The worst is the world still hasn't learnt. Still a handful of powerful men unleash untold horrors on their subjects.

The A-bomb Dome. The bomb exploded 600ft in the air almost above this building. Everything around it was obliterated.
View attachment 92035

Before:
View attachment 92036
After
View attachment 92037

A weeping willow next to the Peace Memorial Park
View attachment 92038
It's amazing to me that anything was left standing. I also think that it was a brave decision to leave it as a memorial. What an experience Ann.

Apr 9

Day 9 in Kyoto

We took a morning tour to Nara which is just outside of Kyoto. The park and temple area have over 1000 sika deer. In the Shinto religion they believe that certain animals are God's messengers and it varies from place to place. So in Nara they believe the sika deer are the messengers. You are able to purchase special biscuits to feed the deer and they hassle you for them.
IMG_2287.JPG

Me With one of the deer
IMG_2288.JPG

Tourists dressed up in kimonos
IMG_2289.JPG

Last edited:
It's amazing to me that anything was left standing. I also think that it was a brave decision to leave it as a memorial. What an experience Ann.
It really was. The Japanese saw themselves as invincible and were not prepared to surrender under any circumstance. I think the atomic bomb was so devastating and so terrible that it completely changed the mindset of an entire country.

Apr 9

Day 9 in Kyoto

We took a morning tour to Nara which is just outside of Kyoto. The park and temple area have over 1000 Shika deer. In the Shinto religion they believe that certain animals are God's messengers and it varies from place to place. So in Nara they believe the Shika deer are the messengers. You are able to purchase special biscuits to feed the deer and they hassle you for them.
View attachment 92054
Me With one of the deer
View attachment 92055
Tourists dressed up in kimonos
View attachment 92056
Oh my goodness, look how many there are (deer, not tourists). We have a herd of Sika deer that escaped from somewhere around here. On rare occasions I've seen one or two, but from very far off. They didn't hassle me for a biscuit. Wonderful images Ann. I like all the tourists in their kimonos.

Apr 10

Day 10 Changeover Day

We arrived in Hong Kong with a couple of hours to spare before going on to New Zealand. Our permanent residence had expired and we had to use the foreigners queue. It really struck us then that we were now foreigners. Interesting how it turns a switch in your brain and you immediately feel completely different. It felt so final.

Not many opportunities for pics. Here we are back in the taxi on the way back to the airport.

IMG_2290.JPG

Back
Top Bottom