Can't hard reboot iPhone 7 Plus (SOLVED)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 14 Pro Max
Onsite
Project Page
It seems I've lost the ability to hard reboot my iPhone 7 Plus. :mad: Pressing the home button + volume down button does nothing but lower the volume or bring up Siri. There was an update testerday so I wonder if this is why?

VERY. ANNOYING.

It seems I've lost the ability to hard reboot my iPhone 7 Plus. :mad: Pressing the home button + volume down button does nothing but lower the volume or bring up Siri. There was an update testerday so I wonder if this is why?

VERY. ANNOYING.
Try holding down the power + volume down buttons. That's what works for me on an iPhone 7.

Try holding down the power + volume down buttons. That's what works for me on an iPhone 7.
AHA!!!! It worked. :notworthy: The one combo I didn't try... it's quite an awkward combo if you ask me, and you have to wait while the volume scrolls all the way down before it goes off... :p Sometimes change is good, but in this case I don't really understand why Apple had to mess with this.

Maybe this was always the way to do it.... :confused: :eek: but I've had so many years of power + home button that I can never remember this combo, plus so far I haven't had any need to hard reset my 7 Plus (knock on wood) so this combo just doesn't stick in my brain.

Doesn't work.... It used to be home + power, then they changed it to home + lower volume (or maybe it's just a 7 thing), but now nothing works. I've tried any/all combinations.

Gggggrrrrr.....

Odd... I have a 7 Plus... Since it came out. Wonder if I just hadn't used reset yet.

Erm....is a hard reboot different from turning it off and on??? :confused:
I had to google this to make sure. When you power off the iPhone/iPad in the standard way, it goes through an orderly shutdown, closing files, etc. When you do a hard reset, you're forcing a brief power break without the usual shutdown procedures. So the hard reset would be an emergency measure if your phone is frozen/not responding (if what I read is correct).

So it doesn't wipe the phone? I have a problem with my iPad Pro. I didn't use it for a month while I was travelling and now it won't update the apps (94 pending!) and when I look for a new iOS update it just says 'Check for Update...' and the wheel just goes round and round and..... It might be caused by the insertion of a SIM card. The problem is I still don't have broadband to be able to test it out properly. I wondered if a hard reboot might do the trick. I just hate doing a factory reset. Requires so much preparation.

Wonder, if it only happen to 7/7+ consider its hardware changes or happens to all series related to IOs update ?

Ps: don't tell me to try it first [emoji28]

Doesn't work.... It used to be home + power, then they changed it to home + lower volume (or maybe it's just a 7 thing), but now nothing works. I've tried any/all combinations.

Gggggrrrrr.....

Odd... I have a 7 Plus... Since it came out. Wonder if I just hadn't used reset yet.

So it doesn't wipe the phone? I have a problem with my iPad Pro. I didn't use it for a month while I was travelling and now it won't update the apps (94 pending!) and when I look for a new iOS update it just says 'Check for Update...' and the wheel just goes round and round and..... It might be caused by the insertion of a SIM card. The problem is I still don't have broadband to be able to test it out properly. I wondered if a hard reboot might do the trick. I just hate doing a factory reset. Requires so much preparation.
The reboot doesn't wipe the phone, but it usually fixes weird stuff that's happening (don't you love my technical jargon?? o_O) There's also Settings/General/Reset which might help fix things.

Because the new home button feature is a haptic (instead of a physical button) the iPhone 7/7+ must be powered on for it to work. This change was made as part of the water resistant capability upgrade. Now, it is necessary to press the down volume and the screen off button, they are both located on the upper side of the phone, across from each other. I've never lost anything by doing a hard reset, but it is my understanding that apps do not power down properly and that there is always a risk of losing information by doing a hard reset. A hard reset is, however, becoming an increasingly standard practice for iPhones. I can usually avoid problems by powering my phone off, counting to ten, and then powering it back on, on a weekly basis. It seems to be Monday or Tuesday morning that works best for me to do the regular off/on reboot. There are system updates done by my cellular service provider (and Apple) that sometimes don't "take" properly which is why the phones need to be turned off and on, rebooting them, on a weekly basis. Sometimes, those updates are simply satellite repositioning coordinates for the phones, sometimes they might be virus protection updates. Whatever it is, when I remember to power off and on weekly, I have no issues with any aspect of my phone or service. Hope that helps :)

There are system updates done by my cellular service provider (and Apple) that sometimes don't "take" properly which is why the phones need to be turned off and on, rebooting them, on a weekly basis. Sometimes, those updates are simply satellite repositioning coordinates for the phones, sometimes they might be virus protection updates. Whatever it is, when I remember to power off and on weekly, I have no issues with any aspect of my phone or service.
Oh yeah...I forgot about that! I used to be pretty anal about powering on/off regularly, but I've slacked off. Doing it at the same day/time each week is a good idea to get into a habit. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom