Onsite
Project Page
95BE50E3-A743-4E04-9F04-B09DC3B022A1.jpeg

It‘s that time of year again ! ! !

Show us (with stories, please) the best and worst of Christmas 2020
around your house and/or your ‘hood,
including but not limited to
-
lights, decorations, family & community rituals, events, tours, family pj sets, songs, gifts and gift protocols, memes, food/recipes -

(and of course any heart-warming stories, indicators of impending world peace
and any/all sightings of Santa, elves, gnomes
and other magical creatures)

Christmas preparations at Linus’ place

Linus is by far the biggest fan of Christmas I’ve ever met. His small apartment is stuffed with decorations. He can play christmas songs in July and as soon as he sees a parcel of any kind he says “God Jul” (= Merry Christmas) regardless of the time of the year.

81583F57-8AB1-471A-9DCB-DC4DAE5A9A3E.jpeg
C13CA81D-2D77-4320-AB42-B47A51638240.jpeg

7BA600D0-6831-45C6-8B38-481ECF23F524.jpeg

Christmas story so far... a two parter.
I brought down xmas from the attic yesterday, a couple of weeks earlier than normal. The damp patch has gotten significantly worse over the last couple of months and when we got the decorations down there's some limited water damage on the odd item. Luckily I have some ready mix mortar specifically for this job and as I'd had to move things and rearrange the attic to get to xmas, I cleared a workspace beneath the window, got the steps out and got to work.
pixlr.jpg

An hour with a wire brush to clean the surface, bucket, mix and trowel, and weather proofing in place.

Sorting out the roof mostly meant I missed putting up the decorations. Traditionally we have the Christmas Pigeon at the top of out tree. Coincidentally, our halloween severed foot was in the christmas box.
pixlr_20201206115302036.jpg

This year, 'Er in lockdown bought a grotesque 4 foot, illuminated Santa 's head originally used as a commercial/retail decoration and hung it up during the week of halloween, thus blurring the distinction.
20201206_110420.jpg

As boundaries are already blurred and the severed foot turned up in traditional red and white christmas colours, I suggested, partly joking and serious at the same time, that we drop the Christmas Pigeon this year and start a new family tradition of the Christmas Severed Foot topping our christmas tree. 'Er in lockdown smiled at the humour but didn't bite at the idea.
Shortly afterwards, our eldest came down from his darkend bedroom, you know, the existential "all I see is black" dead inside teen. He saw the christmas pigeon on top of the tree and got excited at the prospect of designing a new christmas pigeon topper for our tree this year. I can't in all good faith, deny him his christmas pigeon excitement.
And that's the definition of good parenting: Letting go of your own hopes and dreams of a christmas severed foot so your children can hope and dream of a shiney new christmas pigeon.

Last edited:
I brought down xmas from the attic yesterday, a couple of weeks earlier than normal. The damp patch has gotten significantly worse over the last couple of months and when we got the decorations down there's some limited water damage on the odd item. Luckily I have some ready mix mortar specifically for this job and as I'd had to move things and rearrange the attic to get to xmas, I cleared a workspace beneath the window, got the steps out and got to work.
View attachment 162552
An hour with a wire brush to clean the surface, bucket, mix and trowel, and weather proofing in place.

Sorting out the roof mostly meant I missed putting up the decorations. Traditionally we have the Christmas Pigeon at the top of out tree. Coincidentally, our halloween severed foot was in the christmas box.
View attachment 162553
This year, 'Er in lockdown bought a grotesque 4 foot, illuminated Santa 's head originally used as a commercial/retail decoration and hung it up during the week of halloween, thus blurring the distinction.
View attachment 162554

As boundaries are already blurred and the severed foot turned up in traditional red and white christmas colours, I suggested, partly joking and serious at the same time, that we drop the Christmas Pigeon this year and start a new family tradition of the Christmas Severed Foot topping our christmas tree. 'Er in lockdown smiled at the humour but didn't bite at the idea.
Shortly afterwards, our eldest came down from his darkend bedroom, you know, the existential "all I see is black" dead inside teen. He saw the christmas pigeon on top of the tree and got excited at the prospect of designing a new christmas pigeon topper for our tree this year. I can't in all good faith, deny him his christmas pigeon excitement.
And that's the definition of good parenting: Letting go of your own hopes and dreams of a christmas severed foot so your children can hope and dream of a shiney new christmas pigeon.
Thanks for sharing this story. Your vivid description made me see your story as a film clip inside my head - especially your teenager coming down the stairs:cool: And great job with the roof:thumbs:

A funny thing is I’ve never heard of Christmas pigeons. I assumed it was some family tradition you had invented. But I got the idea of googling and realised I was wrong :rolleyes:

View attachment 162552

View attachment 162553
View attachment 162554

I’ll take the severed foot. It will go right along with my Yuletide Godzilla! :lmao:

I brought down xmas from the attic yesterday, a couple of weeks earlier than normal. The damp patch has gotte

e and got excited at the prospect of designing a new christmas pigeon topper for our tree this year. I can't in all good faith, deny him his christmas pigeon excitement.
paragons of parenting, you two. Should be more like you.

A funny thing is I’ve never heard of Christmas pigeons. I assumed it was some family tradition you had invented. But I got the idea of googling and realised I was wrong
I think it's a case of great minds think alike. The Christmas Pigeon is an invented family tradition. I didn't realise it was a thing in the wider world. We have a tree topper, song and I tend to include it in my xmas card most years.

Attachments

• xmas pigeon.jpg
    xmas pigeon.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 71
Thanks for sharing this story. Your vivid description made me see your story as a film clip inside my head - especially your teenager coming down the stairs:cool: And great job with the roof:thumbs:

A funny thing is I’ve never heard of Christmas pigeons. I assumed it was some family tradition you had invented. But I got the idea of googling and realised I was wrong :rolleyes:
Now I have to Google Christmas Pigeons.
I think it's a case of great minds think alike. The Christmas Pigeon is an invented family tradition. I didn't realise it was a thing in the wider world. We have a tree topper, song and I tend to include it in my xmas card most years.
I love that the Three Stooges are on your card!!!

My masterpiece

After dinner on the couch. Can't believe I made that tapestry myself. It was 30 years ago and it took me months to finish it. When we hung it on the wall I noticed that one go the cross stitches is just a "half stitch". With my perfectionism I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown :eek: But my DH convinced me that nobody could see it. In fact I didn't fix it and now it's just a funny story from the past. I haven't made any tapestries since then though:whistle:

PsC (Photoshop Camera)

4EB133F3-845C-4915-A911-A3A40C4BD3F3.jpeg

My masterpiece

After dinner on the couch. Can't believe I made that tapestry myself. It was 30 years ago and it took me months to finish it. When we hung it on the wall I noticed that one go the cross stitches is just a "half stitch". With my perfectionism I thought I was going to have a nervous breakdown :eek: But my DH convinced me that nobody could see it. In fact I didn't fix it and now it's just a funny story from the past. I haven't made any tapestries since then though:whistle:

PsC (Photoshop Camera)

View attachment 162641

is all of that design cross—stitch, Eva? I bow down before your precision, focus and concentration :notworthy:

Back
Top Bottom