Color

Blending, cutting out and masking are really the creme-de-la-creme. If you can do these it takes your photos to another level.

A common theme in my tutorials. That where the art comes in, imo. Targeted editing, where you choose effects that aren't applied over the entire image, but just where they're needed.

I now believe this principle applies to all arts. That's why it takes time to be a good artist not because we are not capable but the more we play and discover, the more we are able to achieve.

Onstage, you've always got to be willing to try new things. (But please try to limit that to rehearsals, and not attempt a new accent during the matinee.)

Well, it does help to know what an effect does but some of my best results have been as a result of trying something by mistake or just playing. When I first changed from Photoshop to apps on the iPad I wasn't able to produce anything for the first 6 months and I only really felt comfortable after a year. I couldn't understand why I had this 'artist's block'. I think it's apparent in some of my earlier attempts in my 365 day project where I also express my frustration. Later I realised. I just had no idea what was possible. It was only when I had tried loads of options in loads of apps that I was finally able to produce the same stuff that I had done on Photoshop and better. I could look at a photo and think, hmmm, that's the sort of photo that would look good as a water colour or if I added a bit of Coherence in iColorama that will smooth the edges. The more you know your apps the more creative you will become. Blending, cutting out and masking are really the creme-de-la-creme. If you can do these it takes your photos to another level.

I now believe this principle applies to all arts. That's why it takes time to be a good artist not because we are not capable but the more we play and discover, the more we are able to achieve. That's what I think anyway.

Yeah and I think your example above is a case in point!
Thanks for the thoughtful response, Ann.
I'm definitely still in the playing around/mistake phase (I'm all over the place), and certainly haven't gotten to the blending/cutting out/masking step.And I'm not sure I'll ever look at a photo and know where I'd like to take it - I'll have to see about that one. I'm more left-brained.

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Ann.
I'm definitely still in the playing around/mistake phase (I'm all over the place), and certainly haven't gotten to the blending/cutting out/masking step.And I'm not sure I'll ever look at a photo and know where I'd like to take it - I'll have to see about that one. I'm more left-brained.
Hah, you are talking to an analyst programmer here! My DH only knew me as this when he married me. When I stopped working 8 years ago and started really getting into Photoshop, sewing and trying out all the arts and crafts under the sun he said to me 'wow, who would know all that stuff was waiting to come out' :lmao:.

Anyhow, I've seen your photography and there's an artist in there bursting to come out :).

Very thoughtful and inspiring words!!
She's marvellous isn't she. :notworthy:
:oops: Ah shucks, guys. Gotta try and get some videos up to drag you lot along with me. Def gonna try and do a brushes video this week but I'm up to my eyeballs in admin work at the moment - talk about doing anything else to avoid it. Lovely day today and I coulda gone on a boat trip :(. Instead I am plucking up the courage to get started....

Well, it does help to know what an effect does but some of my best results have been as a result of trying something by mistake or just playing. When I first changed from Photoshop to apps on the iPad I wasn't able to produce anything for the first 6 months and I only really felt comfortable after a year. I couldn't understand why I had this 'artist's block'. I think it's apparent in some of my earlier attempts in my 365 day project where I also express my frustration. Later I realised. I just had no idea what was possible. It was only when I had tried loads of options in loads of apps that I was finally able to produce the same stuff that I had done on Photoshop and better. I could look at a photo and think, hmmm, that's the sort of photo that would look good as a water colour or if I added a bit of Coherence in iColorama that will smooth the edges. The more you know your apps the more creative you will become. Blending, cutting out and masking are really the creme-de-la-creme. If you can do these it takes your photos to another level.

I now believe this principle applies to all arts. That's why it takes time to be a good artist not because we are not capable but the more we play and discover, the more we are able to achieve. That's what I think anyway.

Yeah and I think your example above is a case in point!
Thank you!!! You give me hope!!

Hah, you are talking to an analyst programmer here! My DH only knew me as this when he married me. When I stopped working 8 years ago and started really getting into Photoshop, sewing and trying out all the arts and crafts under the sun he said to me 'wow, who would know all that stuff was waiting to come out' :lmao:.

Anyhow, I've seen your photography and there's an artist in there bursting to come out :).
:)

I really should call this thread messing about in iColorama

Window frame detail
IMG_5359.JPG

IMG_5364.JPG

IMG_5373.JPG

Fallen leaves
IMG_5399.JPG

I really should call this thread messing about in iColorama

Window frame detail
View attachment 84502
View attachment 84503
View attachment 84505

Fallen leaves
View attachment 84506

"What Jilly said"
"What Star said

And: Thanks do much for starting this thread, David. Not only the pleasure of watching you find your way around the app so many of us love to be scared of -- and producing some inspiring images (the window frame *swoon*) -- but also the pleasure of hearing the wise words of Ann and Jerry

(And you see the slow & persistent pressure on Ann is starting to show results: she's talking about a brush video :D :thumbs: And who knows, Jerry might succumb as well and do a new iColorama tute :mobibabe:)

IN. LOVE. with the first image. [emoji7] The light, lines, color...just everything. [emoji172]
Gorgeous David. Call it what you like, but keep doing it.:thumbs:
I like Fallen Leaves very much.
Yeah, me too. This is awesome. You are kidding me, aren't you? You have been practising for a year behind my back??
That's the highlight for me too.
Thanks, all. It's fun. I,too, like the results, but it's just the result of experimenting. Sometime this decade I'd like to do something intentional. It'd probably be helpful if I could remember how I got to these endpoints.

Back
Top Bottom