HipstaPaks FIRST FRIDAY - Two Rivers HipstaPak

I’ll post some pix in a new thread. I love the bells and also think his vision was very interesting. There’s a retrospective of his work currently at the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art. Friends weren’t aware of Soleri so we ‘immersed’ ourselves, going to the museum, Arcosanti and Cosanti (where he used to live.) Will provide some commentary when I post them.
Oh, how fascinating. I was totally unaware of this project. What a shame it never really took off. Would love to see it. Have always wanted to to go to Arizona too. Gee, Lesley, I thought I had a charmed life with all the travel I have been able to do but I think you surpass me!

A guy down our local markets transfers old Japanese art onto wooden panels. [I think there’s a name for that art form ?]. Anyway depending on image detail, contrast, saturation, etc, the finished pieces can look anywhere from :eek: what were you thinking? to :inlove: just lovely.

Who are our printing on different surfaces experts ? rizole ? terse ? ImageArt ? How best to exploit this filter ?

A guy down our local markets transfers old Japanese art onto wooden panels. [I think there’s a name for that art form ?]. Anyway depending on image detail, contrast, saturation, etc, the finished pieces can look anywhere from :eek: what were you thinking? to :inlove: just lovely.

Who are our printing on different surfaces experts ? rizole ? terse ? ImageArt ? How best to exploit this filter ?
No idea, so I googled it and came up with these:
For inkjets:
https://www.theartofdoingstuff.com/print-on-wood/
And lazerprinters:
https://digital-photography-school....s-to-wood-an-awesome-photography-diy-project/

The best idea would be to print directly onto wooden panels without the Hipstamatic texture. Let the natural wood provide the texture.

A guy down our local markets transfers old Japanese art onto wooden panels. [I think there’s a name for that art form ?].
Are you thinking of decoupage? Where you glue existing paper prints to a surface and then overcoat it with something clear to protect it?

You can buy sheets of metal or thin wood that are precoated with an inkjet-receptive goop. You can print on those directly, but they're expensive and you have to have an inkjet printer with a straight-through paper path (because the wood or metal won't bend, at least not without making a mess of your printer).

Most inkjet printing on alternative surfaces is done using transfers, where you print your image on some kind of backing sheet, transfer it to your preferred surface, and then remove the backing sheet. The methods range from that cool homebrew waxed paper process rizole found :thumbs: to more flexible (and more expensive) processes like you'll find at DASS Art. I've used DASS Art's stuff to transfer images to glass, aluminum, and brass. (The glass was tricky as hell.)

The DASS Art-style methods involve printing a reversed image from a pigment inkjet printer on a clear transfer sheet, coating your chosen substrate with a layer of goop, carefully laying the image onto the gooped surface, and then pulling off the transfer sheet backing a bit later (with many supplications to various gods that the image will stick all over and not pull off in spots).

So you could use a print with this Hipsta pack's board texture and transfer the image to a sheet of wood (or you could skip the board texture if you have a panel already made of boards). rizole's waxed paper process is neat because the ink should sink into the wood at least a bit (while the ink in the DASS Art process will sit more on top). I suspect the waxed paper results will also be fainter and more faded, which could be good or bad depending on what you're after.

I haven't done any transfers to wood yet. The transfers to metal have worked out pretty well. The transfers to glass have been disappointing so far -- aside from being tricky, they look the same as just putting an image on a clear sheet behind the glass -- but I plan to work on them some more.

Umm, more than anyone wanted to know, I'm sure.:oops:

Last edited:
Are you thinking of decoupage? Where you glue existing paper prints to a surface and then overcoat it with something clear to protect it?

You can buy sheets of metal or thin wood that are precoated with an inkjet-receptive goop. You can print on those directly, but they're expensive and you have to have an inkjet printer with a straight-through paper path (because the wood or metal won't bend, at least not without making a mess of your printer).

Most inkjet printing on alternative surfaces is done using transfers, where you print your image on some kind of backing sheet, transfer it to your preferred surface, and then remove the backing sheet. The methods range from that cool homebrew waxed paper process rizole found :thumbs: to more flexible (and more expensive) processes like you'll find at DASS Art. I've used DASS Art's stuff to transfer images to glass, aluminum, and brass. (The glass was tricky as hell.)

The DASS Art-style methods involve printing a reversed image from a pigment inkjet printer on a clear transfer sheet, coating your chosen substrate with a layer of goop, carefully laying the image onto the gooped surface, and then pulling off the transfer sheet backing a bit later (with many supplications to various gods that the image will stick all over and not pull off in spots).

So you could use a print with this Hipsta pack's board texture and transfer the image to a sheet of wood (or you could skip the board texture if you have a panel already made of boards). rizole's waxed paper process is neat because the ink should sink into the wood at least a bit (while the ink in the DASS Art process will sit more on top). I suspect the waxed paper results will also be fainter and more faded, which could be good or bad depending on what you're after.

I haven't done any transfers to wood so far. The transfer to metal have worked out pretty well. The transfers to glass have been disappointing so far -- aside from being tricky, they look the same as just putting an image on a clear sheet behind the glass -- but I plan to work on them some more.

Now you mention it, I have done printing onto t-shirt transfer paper 15 odd years ago. You just need an inkjet printer and an iron and you get quite good results. I have a clear memory of ironing on 20 or 30 designs onto t-shirts, late into the evening, for a the crew for a local music and dance festival while my wife went through the early contractions of labour with our firstborn. o_O
Kids love them.

Hey
You guys gave me an idea and inspiration
Here is an image using Hipstamatic-Double Baked
Stravros + BlacKeys SuperGrain
Two Rivers Pak + Jolly Rainbo Flash
B0D27670-8B94-49CD-97C9-1CD7205D4C33.jpeg

I have a clear memory of ironing on 20 or 30 designs onto t-shirts, late into the evening, for a the crew for a local music and dance festival while my wife went through the early contractions of labour with our firstborn. o_O
That is a brilliant story. I can perfectly see this scene in my mind, like one of those quirky indie films I love. :inlove:

I haven't done any transfers to wood yet. The transfers to metal have worked out pretty well. The transfers to glass have been disappointing so far -- aside from being tricky, they look the same as just putting an image on a clear sheet behind the glass -- but I plan to work on them some more.

This is getting my crafty *i want to make those!* juices flowing... or wanting to go to an art class teaching this... or wishing I had a friend nearby who dug this stuff and we could play together...

I’ve printed onto Perspex using a ‘goop’ - InkAid. It worked really well and surprising it showed no signs of being easily rubbed off although I would probably add a protective sealer if I was going to display it. I also intended to print onto metal but never got around to it. I have an A2 printer which prints flat.

Without this you can also create a matt medium image transfer skin. This is good for glass or a mirror for example. You paint matt medium on a piece of glass and then lay down a paper image which is also covered in matt medium. After a while you remove the paper by adding water and rubbing it carefully away. I can’t remember if inkjet or laser prints are better. You can also do the transfer using acetate. Got loads of books on image transfer but like everything else never seem to get around to doing it!

Now you mention it, I have done printing onto t-shirt transfer paper 15 odd years ago. You just need an inkjet printer and an iron and you get quite good results. I have a clear memory of ironing on 20 or 30 designs onto t-shirts, late into the evening, for a the crew for a local music and dance festival while my wife went through the early contractions of labour with our firstborn. o_O
Kids love them.
Yup, been there done that too.

P

The best idea would be to print directly onto wooden panels without the Hipstamatic texture. Let the natural wood provide the texture.

Thank you / I didn’t know half of that!

I was thinking about what printing - on - wood techniques could inform use of this slats of wood filter.
The guy at the markets had quite a few old Japanese prints that looked quite good. Sparse detail, lots of space, quite muted palettes. He had portraits and more traditional landscapes that to my eye looked weird with the wood lines going through them.

Back
Top Bottom