iOS 11 IS HERE!

Well, some great new features. You would think if they can add all this stuff they would be able to create a better photo management tool o_O.

I like the feature to be able to record your screen. I think I will find that very useful. I also love the ability to save a webpage as a PDF! Used that to save the article terse posted about on the iPhone 8/X thread.

What new features are being used by them rest of the mobitogers?
It's a small thing, but I love the new iPad onscreen keyboard where you can get to punctuation marks and other characters just by sliding down on a key.

I love IOS 11 so far.

Screenshot editing
Looping and bouncing Live photos, which I rarely ever took
Drag & drop
Scan in the notes app
Portrait mode - maybe not a new feature, but it is on my new 8 plus
Control center

Not crazy about the iPad keyboard - I don’t have the hang of the flicking yet.

You can disable key flicks by going into settings - keyboard - disable key flicks.

I love IOS 11 so far.

Screenshot editing
Looping and bouncing Live photos, which I rarely ever took
Drag & drop
Scan in the notes app
Portrait mode - maybe not a new feature, but it is on my new 8 plus
Control center

Not crazy about the iPad keyboard - I don’t have the hang of the flicking yet.

Hmmmmm.... I only load my *best* pics to Flickr. :confused:
I kind of agree there, there are so many fantastic images on Flickr that are made with V expensive DSLR's, its hard to compete.
Not that I'm saying a DSLR is better than a mobile, its just that any fool can take a fantastic looking image on a DSLR. With a mobile you have to work a bit harder :D

I see iOS 11.0.2 is out now. 1.2GB download!
I'll have to find a better place to do that download than our poor satellite internet.
I've gone through and deleted any 32 bit apps where the app is no longer in the App Store. The other 32 bit apps will sit in a folder so I can get notification if they become updated.
I will miss AutoStitch in particular.
At least the older 32 bit apps will still work on my iPad.

I kind of agree there, there are so many fantastic images on Flickr that are made with V expensive DSLR's, its hard to compete.
Not that I'm saying a DSLR is better than a mobile, its just that any fool can take a fantastic looking image on a DSLR. With a mobile you have to work a bit harder :D

Actually, it's surprising how many expensive DSLR owners don't know the first thing about about using their camera or about photography so they just make very expensive snapshots.

I'm going to disagree with the "any fool" part of your statement. A DSLR will give you better image quality and you have the advantage of more telephoto lenses but beyond that every camera is the same. Composition, lighting, good use of colour, and a good idea. You need every element working together.
I will agree that it's more of a challenge to make a technically great quality photo with limited equipment. On the other hand, Mobile has many advantages, too.

I had a chance to be on FiberOp internet today and updated to iOS 11.0.2. Everything seems to be running as expected. I’m still learning about the new features. Overall the layout is cleaner and easier to read.
So far the only thing annoying is in the App Store updates page that tells you which of your apps have updates waiting. They removed the size of the download in MB and that was always the first thing I looked at before updating. The bigger downloads I postponed until I was on a faster wifi than my own. I can still find out the memory allotment but I have to tap the app icon and go to the bottom of the app info page to find it.

I want to draw your attention to something I read in the update for Camera+ yesterday. In iOS 11 only, you can edit the two layers in a portrait mode photo!
Here’s a screenshot from part of the update info.
IMG_4904.JPG

One thing I have found annoying with the App Store unless I've missed it, is that the page you now go to find apps that aren't loaded, doesn't seem to have a search. With all the apps that I loaded in the past it took me 10 minutes to find an app I wanted to load again. I hadn't managed to find it on the App Store.

One thing I have found annoying with the App Store unless I've missed it, is that the page you now go to find apps that aren't loaded, doesn't seem to have a search. With all the apps that I loaded in the past it took me 10 minutes to find an app I wanted to load again. I hadn't managed to find it on the App Store.
It's been moved to a more inconvenient place that seems to benefit no one. In the App Store app, tap on the person icon in the upper right corner to get to your account page. From there, tap Purchased -- you'll get a list of purchased apps, a "Not on this iPhone" tab, and a search box. (At least, I do on iOS 11.02.)

Concerning searching for apps on the App Store: it always puzzles me that when I type in the correct name of a specific app it doesn’t appear first on the list. Instead you may have to scroll down through 50 or more other apps to find it. Those other apps that are higher on the list are not even similar to the name being searched. That’s not a very good search.

Those other apps that are higher on the list are not even similar to the name being searched. That’s not a very good search.
Yes, it's so bad it'd convince me it was bad-for-a-purpose if it weren't that the interlopers appear so random. Lots of times I give up and go to http://appshopper.com/ (or more likely, http://appshopper.com/all/photography/ ) to find what I'm looking for and then follow the link from there to the app store.

Yes, it's so bad it'd convince me it was bad-for-a-purpose if it weren't that the interlopers appear so random. Lots of times I give up and go to http://appshopper.com/ (or more likely, http://appshopper.com/all/photography/ ) to find what I'm looking for and then follow the link from there to the app store.

I find a lot of my new photo apps from AppZapp. I just made a couple of custom filters to select what I want to see. Even so, there’s a discouraging number of junk photo apps being made. Finding the good ones among them is like going to a flea market.

I just had my first encounter with importing a new HEVC video format made in the native camera. I had a short clip, 37 seconds, among my other photos in a backup to the Photos app for Mac. After the other photos imported successfully I got an error message saying IMG_xxxx.mov could not be imported as it was an unsupported image format.
Then I wondered about HEVC (High Efficiency Video Codec) and started looking to see what I could find out. The file did not appear in TwinViewer so it needs an update. There isn’t an update for the Photos app I have so it must be the current version.
Checking in my iPhone settings in Camera > Format, I see it has defaulted to High Efficiency. The other setting is “most comparable” and I decided to check that one for now.
Then I exported the movie file to my Mac using AirDrop and as soon as I tapped send it showed “converting” until it sent. The Photos app had no trouble importing the converted video. I guess it is still too soon for HEVC.
Back in the iPhone Photos app, I selected the video and went to “Investigate” and “View Exif” in the export options to open it in other apps. Both showed a “preparing” delay before showing anything but neither mentioned HEVC.

Today’s update to ProCamera brought full support for the new HIgh Efficiency file formats ( for iPhone 7 & Up).
View attachment 100345
I have hopes for HEIF/HEIC. From what I've read, HEIF is a 16-bit format where JPEG is 8-bit, so HEIC should, at least theoretically, be able to retain more color information from the camera's 10-bit sensor. (But why oh why couldn't they make the file format name and the file extension the same???)

I have hopes for HEIF/HEIC. From what I've read, HEIF is a 16-bit format where JPEG is 8-bit, so HEIC should, at least theoretically, be able to retain more color information from the camera's 10-bit sensor. (But why oh why couldn't they make the file format name and the file extension the same???)

I agree. The only problem, well one of them, is that support for the new formats is still sparse. Even the Photos app for Mac doesn’t support it yet. Although I expect that to come soon. Definitely not Lightroom on computer. So although we have a better Capture option we will have to wait a while to be able to do much with them.

I agree. The only problem, well one of them, is that support for the new formats is still sparse. Even the Photos app for Mac doesn’t support it yet. Although I expect that to come soon. Definitely not Lightroom on computer. So although we have a better Capture option we will have to wait a while to be able to do much with them.
Gosh, a bit of a dilemma. Looking online it seems there are no Windows software out there that can deal with this format.

My question is this. Is this a standard format that everybody will move towards? If not, I don’t see any point in using it even for the reduced space. I’d rather use tiff.

Back
Top Bottom