Larry the App Guy: My App Reviews

Pet Photos By Simon Ollerenshaw, Dynomic.com
I was intrigued by this app because our canine companion, Woofie, seems to have an aversion to having a camera pointed at her. She was already 14 when we got her so we don't know the origin of this behaviour. All we know is that when we spot a perfect photo opportunity and turn the camera on her she looks away, the same way she does when offered some food she doesn't like. It really is funny to watch.

Enter Pet Photos. This app differs from other camera apps in that it has sound effects! In particular, catchy sounds to attract the attention of pets. Meows, barks, and a variety of others.
Pet Photos shoots in HD video format - 1916x1080 pixels. Sort of an odd size for still photos and far short of full device resolution.
The Pet Photos interface.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1429031858.712310.jpg

My first test happened to be where Woofie was resting on her bed in the bedroom. The light was quite low and the pictures all came out quite dark.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1429032072.143087.jpg

It seemed to me a regular camera app would do better so I tried a couple of others and they did a better job of the low light situation.
The sounds did make her look up. I decided to try again in better light sometime. Another thing I noticed was that it doesn't recognize right side up orientation for photos. Pictures shot in landscape always show as portrait in the camera roll and you need an external editor (Photos app) to turn them right way up.
There is an iap to buy a bigger selection of sounds. You can select just one sound to replay or have the sounds change randomly. There is a button to play the sound and another to shoot the picture. There is also a button that plays the sound and shoots the picture if you are fairly certain the sound will have the desired effect. No other camera controls.
I tried again outside in better light on one of our walks. After the first sound Woofie looked at me out of the corner of her eye without turning.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1429032250.249254.jpg

After that she completely ignored every sound except the dog bark, which she acknowledged without turning. Probable communications: You tricked me with this before. I'm not that dumb to fall for it a second time.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1429032295.001433.jpg

So the app is a good idea and maybe it will work with you pet, but not with Woofie.

Pet Photos By Simon Ollerenshaw, Dynomic.com
I was intrigued by this app because our canine companion, Woofie, seems to have an aversion to having a camera pointed at her. She was already 14 when we got her so we don't know the origin of this behaviour. All we know is that when we spot a perfect photo opportunity and turn the camera on her she looks away, the same way she does when offered some food she doesn't like. It really is funny to watch.

Enter Pet Photos. This app differs from other camera apps in that it has sound effects! In particular, catchy sounds to attract the attention of pets. Meows, barks, and a variety of others.
Pet Photos shoots in HD video format - 1916x1080 pixels. Sort of an odd size for still photos and far short of full device resolution.
The Pet Photos interface.
View attachment 64215
My first test happened to be where Woofie was resting on her bed in the bedroom. The light was quite low and the pictures all came out quite dark.
View attachment 64216
It seemed to me a regular camera app would do better so I tried a couple of others and they did a better job of the low light situation.
The sounds did make her look up. I decided to try again in better light sometime. Another thing I noticed was that it doesn't recognize right side up orientation for photos. Pictures shot in landscape always show as portrait in the camera roll and you need an external editor (Photos app) to turn them right way up.
There is an iap to buy a bigger selection of sounds. You can select just one sound to replay or have the sounds change randomly. There is a button to play the sound and another to shoot the picture. There is also a button that plays the sound and shoots the picture if you are fairly certain the sound will have the desired effect. No other camera controls.
I tried again outside in better light on one of our walks. After the first sound Woofie looked at me out of the corner of her eye without turning.
View attachment 64217
After that she completely ignored every sound except the dog bark, which she acknowledged without turning. Probable communications: You tricked me with this before. I'm not that dumb to fall for it a second time.
View attachment 64218
So the app is a good idea and maybe it will work with you pet, but not with Woofie.
Sometimes I don't think we give our pets enough credit :)
I know all about how they act disinterested sometimes and sometimes go out of their way to let you know that you can't fool them again :D then other times they seem as dumb as a bag of nails :)

My Idol Avatar maker
小偶 - 我的3D萌偶 by Huanshi Ltd.
https://appsto.re/ca/HDbVZ.i

Before anything else...
This app is Chinese/Japanese but developer says an English version is coming.
You can figure it out :)
This app is a lot of fun, probably one of my favourite's for making avatars right now.
You can save still images at 580x580 (which is fine for social).
You can save a 14 second animated video.
Make a background image
No ads
No in-apps.
A huge amount of content, hair, eyes, cloths etc but any that start off a darker grey you have to download, in most cases only a few seconds for each.
If you want better resolution you could take a screen grab and crop and end up with about a 1270x1270 image.

Karen
image.jpg

My friend
image.jpg

Myself
image.jpg

My hair is a the wrong colour, way to dark :)

Ultrapop - Collection of Intense Color Filters and Shapes for Contemporary Art Photo Edits by GOODLIFE LTD.
https://appsto.re/ca/HnAg3.i

Comes with 8 filters and you can use three shapes (Square, Triangle or Circle).
Another 7 filters if you follow on Instagram although it has no way to know if you actually followed them.
Two packs, Classique and Organic each with 13 filters for $1.99 each.
There is an intensity slider for all filters.
Max save size is 4096x4096, in=out up to 4096.
Works with any ratio image.
I like some of the filters but others might like more. I wish their previews for the in-apps let you use one of your images.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Ultrapop - Collection of Intense Color Filters and Shapes for Contemporary Art Photo Edits by GOODLIFE LTD.
https://appsto.re/ca/HnAg3.i

Comes with 8 filters and you can use three shapes (Square, Triangle or Circle).
Another 7 filters if you follow on Instagram although it has no way to know if you actually followed them.
Two packs, Classique and Organic each with 13 filters for $1.99 each.
There is an intensity slider for all filters.
Max save size is 4096x4096, in=out up to 4096.
Works with any ratio image.
I don't much care for any of the filters but others might

View attachment 65276
Wow...this is cool!! Love the *hot* colors you chose.

Trying other pics and I like some of them more then I thought I would :)

View attachment 65284

View attachment 65285

View attachment 65286
Like the most colourful apps this one is one for me. Found it yesterday and liked them on Instagram (though it's enough when just the instaapp opens the site, you don't need to like them. But the add-ons for 2$ each are too expensive for my taste. I like it much, but not THAT much. For this you can easily get jixipix' Nir Colour, where you can also do great colourful pictures out. :)

Like the most colourful apps this one is one for me. Found it yesterday and liked them on Instagram (though it's enough when just the instaapp opens the site, you don't need to like them. But the add-ons for 2$ each are too expensive for my taste. I like it much, but not THAT much. For this you can easily get jixipix' Nir Colour, where you can also do great colourful pictures out. :)
I too think the in-apps are too much. If they were $0.99 ea I might consider them.
I was disappointed with NIR Colour, mostly effects are only two colours and one or two with three. I know you edit but still pretty limited in what you can do. This app has a lot more colour. Trying to think of other similar apps...

Had to download and try. View attachment 65296

Nice, Christer! I like how you got that gold to *pop* out of the purple - makes for a nice abstract :thumbs:

Speaking of which: I don't think we've seen anything from you in the Levels of Abstraction challenge? Let me guess: like the lovely Philippe Schlossberg, famous for his abstract sorry, "surreal" images, you don't *do* abstract? :whistle: :D If you ever did, we'd love to see you in LoA :)

Nice, Christer! I like how you got that gold to *pop* out of the purple - makes for a nice abstract :thumbs:

Speaking of which: I don't think we've seen anything from you in the Levels of Abstraction challenge? Let me guess: like the lovely Philippe Schlossberg, famous for his abstract sorry, "surreal" images, you don't *do* abstract? :whistle: :D If you ever did, we'd love to see you in LoA :)

Affirmative, Captain. I don't do abstract. My life's abstract & surreal as it is :alien: :lol:

I too think the in-apps are too much. If they were $0.99 ea I might consider them.
I was disappointed with NIR Colour, mostly effects are only two colours and one or two with three. I know you edit but still pretty limited in what you can do. This app has a lot more colour. Trying to think of other similar apps...
True with the limited colours but I like it. And Popkick and things like these put the colours into my world. :D

edit, as iOS smileys don't seem to be retained with the web app ... I meant:

[emoji3] ... [emoji257]

True with the limited colours but I like it. And Popkick and things like these put the colours into my world. :D
Forgot about PopKick :)
In many ways similar to Harris Camera but you can only shift images a little. It also only uses 3 colours. Still a good app if you like colour...
image.jpg

But I do like HarrisCamera :)
image.jpg

FotoMask by Andrea Vettori
https://appsto.re/ca/UkCo7.i

A decent sticker app!

Pretty easy to make your own stamp and it is saved in-app so you can reuse it easily. You can choose the intensity of the effect, color, alpha (transparency) and rubber (mask or erase).

Stamps that come with the app are in sections:
Gift w 13
Animal w 9
Attractions w 21
Speech Bubbles w 9
Food w 10
Stamps/badges w 8
Vehicle w 27
Most are black with a few in colour
Stamps can be resized and rotated, colour changed or deleted.
Once placed you can re select a stamp and alter it or delete it.

The app saves at 3200 long side no matter what size the original is and will either scale up or down. When you open an image you can crop it, rotate, or change ratio.

The app has banner ads and watermark and currently no in-app to get rid of them and no pro version without them, hope this gets rectified soon.

This image has one stamp from each category
image.jpg

And this has two stamps that I made
image.jpg

DHDR by MAKE A
https://appsto.re/ca/-DHn7.i

While I have seen some negative comments I actually kind of like this app :)
Currently free, regular price is $1.99US

No ads.
No in-apps, which is strange for this type of developer, normally their other apps have a few effects and lots vis in-app.
There are 18 B+W filters, each has an info button that tells you more about the history of that film.
You can adjust the amount of effect (alpha channel) so you can have complete B+W or add colour back in. HDR Radius, Intensity, Black Point, White Point, Black Curve and White Curve can all be adjusted.
You can add other effects which can be adjusted for intensity and rotated (90 deg steps). The single slider is probably not the best way to pick them but you can.
They are grouped in:
ISO Grain
LightLeaks w 18 Effects
Dust w 18 Effects
Lens Flare w 18 Effects
Grunge w 13 Effects
Film w 6 Effects
Scratch w 17 Effects
Images save at input=output up to 4096x4096.
My 6000x6000 crashed the app but no issues with 4096 or smaller.

A colour image to B+W
image.jpg

Same image but with some colour
image.jpg

This is a B+W image with a LightLeak
image.jpg

Beats carving out pieces of raw potato, hm?

:D
Yes, now that takes me back a lot of years :) been a very long time since I have done any, I think the last was when my kids were young and seeing how our youngest is over 30...

Stained by Calaculu
https://appsto.re/ca/RQHXF.i
This a an interesting app.

I have had this app quite some time, another that had slipped through the cracks and unused for a while. I originally wrote this on AppZapp about a year ago, can't recall if I posted it here. In any case it showed up on AppZapp so I have been playing with it again.

Very simple ui basically a grid is shown (obscures some of the image) with a big dot you can drag around to change the look. An intensity slider.
You can take an image or open an existing image.
Fantastic save resolution input = output. I was able to open, modify, and save a 6000x6000 image without issues although it takes more time.
Images do have some pixelization, especially in large areas with subtle colour changes but for the average almost abstract use it's good.
Over saturation of images and edging may not be to everyone's taste but can be very striking.

It's a free app.
No in-apps.
No ads.
No watermarks.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Larry I can imagine using Calaculu (or similar?) pre Brushstroke or Stackables or in some other way as a base for a layered image. I've done a couple half-heartedly (in a bit of a hurry, expected lightening results but didn't get them! :confused: ). I'll post them, but will do a more careful version as well :)

Back
Top Bottom