Larry the App Guy: My App Reviews

It is surprising sometimes the total lack of support for an app.

But sometimes I get surprised.
Most on here had heard my rants about Medachance and their lack of support. A couple weeks ago I filled in their online support form and expected that I would never hear back so you might imagine my surprise when I got a reply a few days later.
Long and short is that they have been concentrating on the business side that is making money and that is not ios apps or Mac apps but they have been doing well with their apps for PC's.
For some time the ios apps have not really been selling much but they are going to try and find time to at least get them to save properly. I reloaded all their apps I had and made notes on which work, and where the apps don't so at least they have some idea of where to start.
I said if they do update them I will redo the reviews and post them here, on AppZapp, FaceBook and Twitter and maybe they will be able to get some interest going in them again.
No timetable as to when as it will be done around the currently paying work.
At least this time they have answered and there has been some email back and forth between us.

But yes sometimes you try contacting the developers and you hear nothing back or find as Brian has found out that there is no way to contact them..

Cool, Larry - & they should be grateful to you for the effort & support. I hope you drew their attention to our 'donate' button !

It's not just girls who wanna have fun.
Quokka Selfie by Aykut Ersahin.
This is a fun app that gives the appearance that at the last second a Quokka has horned-in on your selfie.
The first question: what the heck is a Quokka? I relied on Wiki for the answer and so as not to short circuit your own fun I'm not going to tell you, except to say it is a real animal.
You can import your image from the camera roll, or shoot a new one with the app's camera. Then the app gets into dangerous territory by pre-cropping your image into a square. Anyone who knows me even a little will know that is on my "Thou shalt not..." list. Luckily you can easily resize your image to get it full frame again but with white space around it to make a square, which will require cropping after export.
Once you have your image positioned as desired you tap one of 5 buttons to get the cute Quokka of your choice to pop into the picture with you. Resize and reposition as needed. Save to camera roll. In this latest update they have removed the banner strip the app used to add to the bottom of your picture with their advertising byline. Another thing that makes me see red.
Here's a screen shot of the app window.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427369763.061873.jpg

Ads are obvious.
And a final version cropped in the photos app.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427369923.389198.jpg

Don't expect much resolution, but then it's just for fun. Now I ask you, who has the nicer fur hat?
In case you didn't catch the attempted humour in my opening line, it refers to an old song "Girls just wanna have fun".

Last edited:
This is a fun app that gives the appearance that at the last second a Quokka has horned-in on your selfie.
The first question: what the heck is a Quokka? I relied on Wiki for the answer and so as not to short circuit your own fun I'm not going to tell you, except to say it is a real animal.
You can import your image from the camera roll, or shoot a new one with the app's camera. Then the app gets into dangerous territory by pre-cropping your image into a square. Anyone who knows me even a little will know that is on my "Thou shalt not..." list. Luckily you can easily resize your image to get it full frame again but with white space around it to make a square, which will require cropping after export.
Once you have your image positioned as desired you tap one of 5 buttons to get the cute Quokka of your choice to pop into the picture with you. Resize and reposition as needed. Save to camera roll. In this latest update they have removed the banner strip the app used to add to the bottom of your picture with their advertising byline. Another thing that makes me see red.
View attachment 63361
Ads are obvious.
View attachment 63362
Don't expect much resolution, but then it's just for fun. Now I ask you, who has the nicer fur hat?
In case you didn't catch the attempted humour in my opening line, it refers to an old song "Girls just wanna have fun".
There is another one called QuokkaSelfe and it seems the devs at least know each other as I've been sent from the one app to the other at the store. Maybe the dev linked his competitor accidentally. :D
This one takes Selfies only - no, not true, it takes everything as long as you use the camera. No loading from camRoll. Why I've kept it along with the other one is: the Quokkas are nicer. :) one is so funny that I just have to keep it at the moment.
But: Frontcam only. Res (at least no square!) 630 x 852 px (5Pod might be same on the phone), HUGE watermark.
Don't know about ads, but I use Weblock, means if you turn flight mode on there will be none - guaranteed. :)
Best thing beside the 5 cute Quokkas: they can be flipped, rotated and resized. :)
Have a look yourself.

image.jpg

Edit: sorry no resize, but rotate, flip and reposition!
Ad on bottom of the start screen, then gone. :)

Last edited:
Thanks to Larry's well done review on AppZapp I decided to try WrapCam when it came up for free today on AppZapp.
It certainly has a lot of things I haven't seen in other apps but as Larry said, only half resolution, no doubt due to all the effect overlays.
I started by selecting a previously unedited photo from my camera roll. The standard stupid square previews don't give you a proper idea of the image framing so I ended up with this offset image.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427373114.654588.jpg

The first thing I wanted to do was move the skier to the right in the frame. A regular copy/paste operation and then some retouching. I couldn't figure out how to do that so I went exploring the wraps.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427373279.199121.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427373320.553942.jpg

I thought that was an interesting dodge on the offset framing problem. I noticed most of the (numerous) wraps we're featuring the left side.
I tried blending the first shot with another of the same skier a few feet before the first shot. I didn't get what I was hoping for and poked around some more but didn't find the tools I wanted. Decided to leave it for now and try with a different picture later.
I found this app interesting because of the many features not seen in other apps. For that reason it is useful. Now if they would just double the resolution up to full device resolution it would be a useful editing tool. I'm sure there will be more reports to follow on this app.

There is another one called QuokkaSelfe and it seems the devs at least know each other as I've been sent from the one app to the other at the store. Maybe the dev linked his competitor accidentally. :D
This one takes Selfies only - no, not true, it takes everything as long as you use the camera. No loading from camRoll. Why I've kept it along with the other one is: the Quokkas are nicer. :) one is so funny that I just have to keep it at the moment.
But: Frontcam only. Res (at least no square!) 630 x 852 px (5Pod might be same on the phone), HUGE watermark.
Don't know about ads, but I use Weblock, means if you turn flight mode on there will be none - guaranteed. :)
Best thing beside the 5 cute Quokkas: they can be flipped, rotated and resized. :)
Have a look yourself.

View attachment 63363

Edit: sorry no resize, but rotate, flip and reposition!
Ad on bottom of the start screen, then gone. :)
And here I thought there could only possibly be one Quokka selfie app!

Thanks to Larry's well done review on AppZapp I decided to try WrapCam when it came up for free today on AppZapp.
It certainly has a lot of things I haven't seen in other apps but as Larry said, only half resolution, no doubt due to all the effect overlays.
I started by selecting a previously unedited photo from my camera roll. The standard stupid square previews don't give you a proper idea of the image framing so I ended up with this offset image.
View attachment 63364
The first thing I wanted to do was move the skier to the right in the frame. A regular copy/paste operation and then some retouching. I couldn't figure out how to do that so I went exploring the wraps.
View attachment 63365
View attachment 63366
I thought that was an interesting dodge on the offset framing problem. I noticed most of the (numerous) wraps we're featuring the left side.
I tried blending the first shot with another of the same skier a few feet before the first shot. I didn't get what I was hoping for and poked around some more but didn't find the tools I wanted. Decided to leave it for now and try with a different picture later.
I found this app interesting because of the many features not seen in other apps. For that reason it is useful. Now if they would just double the resolution up to full device resolution it would be a useful editing tool. I'm sure there will be more reports to follow on this app.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427383344.816915.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1427383381.601908.jpg

Here are 2 of the ideas that popped into my mind as I was working with WrapCam. Quickly & easily accomplished with HandyPhoto & Leonardo.

View attachment 63361
Ads are obvious.
View attachment 63362
Now that I've scrolled over your picture with the Quokka I found you two have the very same winning smile on it. :)

View attachment 63361
Ads are obvious.
View attachment 63362
OMG....

LOLOLOL!!!!!!

To treat myself I found I'm in the mood to get some things at the App Store. Besides the inapps of Tangent and Flame Painter I've got me "Filters" by Mike Rundle (and his "Nice & Mean" because it was free and is fun: motivatonal and demotivational words :lol:)
I wouldn't have thought it could surprise me, but it did. Ever so many filters, overlays, textures and stuff (NO stickers, what I appreciated) and the most surprising effect: Input = Output (tested on 5pod with a picture taken with it).
Before:
image.jpg

After (I really tried to overdo it, but didn't suceed, to me it still looks good :D):
image.jpg

And it's not just more colourful it improved. :)
If you don't know what it shows: it's a magpie in a tree (just building a nest before one of our office windows. Will have a look if Mr and Mrs Magpie will really start the family there, but that will be a thing for my 365 that still looks abandoned. But I'll be back before new year. :D)
Anyway the app includes everything for just 99€c and though they didn't reinvent the wheel, the did a proper app. It seems stable, has different parts from effects, filters, usual editor and more. Says altogether 800+ and I believe it. :)
Everything can be adjusted in opacity by a slider.
For 99c a very well done app. And the quite poor picture (there was no blue sky or some shiny lights not even leaves on the tree and the poor camera of the pod with zoom (okay, the 5s didn't do much better) but although the tree is quite close to our window it's still far to take a nice portrait of the bird) has turned into something I like look at. :)

To treat myself I found I'm in the mood to get some things at the App Store. Besides the inapps of Tangent and Flame Painter I've got me "Filters" by Mike Rundle (and his "Nice & Mean" because it was free and is fun: motivatonal and demotivational words :lol:)
I wouldn't have thought it could surprise me, but it did. Ever so many filters, overlays, textures and stuff (NO stickers, what I appreciated) and the most surprising effect: Input = Output (tested on 5pod with a picture taken with it).
Before:
View attachment 63384
After (I really tried to overdo it, but didn't suceed, to me it still looks good :D):
View attachment 63385
And it's not just more colourful it improved. :)
If you don't know what it shows: it's a magpie in a tree (just building a nest before one of our office windows. Will have a look if Mr and Mrs Magpie will really start the family there, but that will be a thing for my 365 that still looks abandoned. But I'll be back before new year. :D)
Anyway the app includes everything for just 99€c and though they didn't reinvent the wheel, the did a proper app. It seems stable, has different parts from effects, filters, usual editor and more. Says altogether 800+ and I believe it. :)
Everything can be adjusted in opacity by a slider.
For 99c a very well done app. And the quite poor picture (there was no blue sky or some shiny lights not even leaves on the tree and the poor camera of the pod with zoom (okay, the 5s didn't do much better) but although the tree is quite close to our window it's still far to take a nice portrait of the bird) has turned into something I like look at. :)
Thanks, had not seen it so went and got it....
You do know that now you and I have it, it's going to go free :D

Thanks, had not seen it so went and got it....
You do know that now you and I have it, it's going to go free :D
You won't believe it, but the moment I hit the buy button, I had exactly the same idea. And I even wanted to mention it in the review, saying you better wait two or three days as it might go free then. But forgot when finished. :lol:

You won't believe it, but the moment I hit the buy button, I had exactly the same idea. And I even wanted to mention it in the review, saying you better wait two or three days as it might go free then. But forgot when finished. :lol:
How could I resist :) input=output and everything included, I figured it's pretty cheap! :)

StupidFox FREE Comic Maker by Brett Wharton Animation, LLC
https://appsto.re/ca/L75o6.i
Quite impressed with this app!

Only 15 stickers unlocked but they are well done.
3 in-apps:
Mischief $0.99, 18 stickers
Happiness $0.99, 21 stickers
Spring $0.99, 21 stickers

You can add text if you want but there is only one font.

Stickers can be rotated and scaled with the usual gestures. One that very few apps have is flipping, tap on either side of the stickers box and it flips sideways.

Not limited to 1:1 like many other apps

Best part is input=output up to the largest I tried, 6000x6000 or just over 30megapixel

This is the free version.
The other version of StupidFox has a different UI but I downloaded a couple of his others that use that UI and tried one of them.
image.jpg

By chance I found that there are some filters that can be applied, just swipe left or right on the image. There are only 5 and doubt I will use them much but they are there.

Cute Animals: Can You Name That Animal? An Educational Game for Kids by Brett Wharton Animation, LLC
https://appsto.re/ca/w0634.i
Unlike this developers app StupidFox Free this one has a different UI

You can take a picture or load one.
If you choose to load an image you will get a cropped center section of your image, you can't alter it and it is not quite square.

There are 56 stickers (no in-apps), many appear to be well done and on the screen look pretty sharp though there is pixelization if you zoom in once saved or screen grabbed.

Stickers can be moved, rotated scaled with the usual gestures but these lack the flipping that StupidFox has.

Save resolution is 628x640 which is fine for social media or kids.
If you do a screen grab and crop you can get a 1280x1165 or so image that using BigPhoto you can get to a decent size and look reasonably good.

3 in-apps:

Stickers can be rotated and scaled with the usual gestures. One that very few apps have is flipping, tap on either side of the stickers box and it flips sideways.

Best part is input=output up to the largest I tried, 6000x6000 or just over 30megapixel

The other version of StupidFox has a different UI but I downloaded a couple of his others that use that UI and tried one of them.
View attachment 63512
By chance I found that there are some filters that can be applied, just swipe left or right on the image. There are only 5 and doubt I will use them much but they are there.

Cute Animals: Can You Name That Animal? An Educational Game for Kids by Brett Wharton Animation, LLC

If you choose to load an image you will get a cropped center section of your image, you can't alter it and it is not quite square.

There are 56 stickers (no in-apps), many appear to be well done and on the screen look pretty sharp though there is pixelization if you zoom in once saved or screen grabbed.

Stickers can be moved, rotated scaled with the usual gestures but these lack the flipping that StupidFox has.

If you do a screen grab and crop you can get a 1280x1165 or so image that using BigPhoto you can get to a decent size and look reasonably good.
The question is: is it worth to buy the full app for 99c? It says there are no inapps, but will it be really the same? I am tempted actually, the animals are really sweet. :)
On the other hand: all of their other apps have well designed stickers, but the import of pictures is a desaster: cut out from larger pictures and no chance to manually correct it., neither in size not cut out. :( Only portrait, always 800 x 640 px. The eye app is really funny (Antgy Eyes), but useless if you don't have a picture at hand with the right res/size. No flipping. All the same.
Tried: Angry Eyes, Name Amimals and Wonderland (Alice in W… stickers)
image.jpg

Example Angry Eyes.

Edit: just had a second look at the fox apps. The free one Lzed referred to is ~20 MB in size, while the "full" version is just 4 MB. So I doubt that one will be as good as the free one. o_O

Last edited:
I like their fox series and even the others that have a the different UI (like the StupFox or Cute Animals so I suspect that all apps with that UI and have no in-apps are going to be about the same. Yes, not being able to import and decide where to have it taken from is a disaster but maybe I'll try a squarified image and see how that works.

The StupidFox Free (larger file size with in-apps) I really like but so far have not bought the in-apps (but I am tempted :))

3 in-apps:

View attachment 63512

And I just found the fox app doesn't work right on my 5pod:
Though I flipped the foxes (screenshot)
image.jpg

The saved result was this:
image.jpg

Does the same on my iPad 3, might send him a email (if I can)
When you tell it done it asks if you want to freeze stickers, if you say yes it flips them back, if you say no it doesn't do anything.

Does the same on my iPad 3, might send him a email (if I can)
When you tell it done it asks if you want to freeze stickers, if you say yes it flips them back, if you say no it doesn't do anything.
Yepp, you can only save with frozen stickers. Makes sense, but not this way. :lol:

This is an image from cute animals enlarged with BigPhoto
The Fox is actually an image I did in StupidFox
image.jpg

Enlarged to 2000x whatever :) if you look at bats right ear you can see a little pixelization so yes stickers in these apps are much smaller the in the StupidFox Free. Still you can get them large enought to be useful.
Like you I am tempted to spend the $0.99 for the other StupidFox simply because I like them, and I have a niece that is big into stickers :)

Think the full thing has the crappy UI and res of the other apps, but the stickers are cooler than the ones in the free app.
But if your niece is so much into stickers send her Props!
Wait will get the way to the Store:
Such a shame it seems to be gone! It was one of the best ever and you were even able to do your own stickers (cut outs from your own pictures). It was fantastic!! Can't find it, neither on German, Canadian nor American store.
Did a picture from my phone.
image.jpg

The middle one is the thing. Maybe you have it already? Cutest aliens and totally different things. But I remember I've never been able to buy the kittens via inapp, probably it was gone already. Has it as my app tip at AZ but just recently found that's missing. Probably because of lacking link. Such a shame!!!!

Think the full thing has the crappy UI and res of the other apps, but the stickers are cooler than the ones in the free app.
But if your niece is so much into stickers send her Props!
Wait will get the way to the Store:
Such a shame it seems to be gone! It was one of the best ever and you were even able to do your own stickers (cut outs from your own pictures). It was fantastic!! Can't find it, neither on German, Canadian nor American store.
Did a picture from my phone.
View attachment 63538
The middle one is the thing. Maybe you have it already? Cutest aliens and totally different things. But I remember I've never been able to buy the kittens via inapp, probably it was gone already. Has it as my app tip at AZ but just recently found that's missing. Probably because of lacking link. Such a shame!!!!
Icon does look familiar but I don't think I ever had it and searching doesn't find it, who is developer?
Had a look at the screenshots for the paid version of StupidFox and in the in-apps for the free it looks like they are all there.
I bought the in-apps and really like that I am not forced to sacrifice either ratio or size.
Coincidentally a few minutes after I bought the in-apps I got a notification that the paid version (yes the $0.99 one) was updated, went to look and see what changed to find it says higher sticker resolution. Not sure if that means higher save resolution or just stickers. I don't see much point to raising just sticker resolution so suspect maybe save resolution also went up. Still the UI of the new Free one is a vast improvement over the old one.
If you follow the App Store trail to app support it does take you to a website with a form. Filled it out the form but it eventually came back with a message that the server stopped responding so luckily he also had an email on their so sent a email to him. Now to see if he responds.

Icon does look familiar but I don't think I ever had it and searching doesn't find it, who is developer?
Had a look at the screenshots for the paid version of StupidFox and in the in-apps for the free it looks like they are all there.
I bought the in-apps and really like that I am not forced to sacrifice either ratio or size.
Coincidentally a few minutes after I bought the in-apps I got a notification that the paid version (yes the $0.99 one) was updated, went to look and see what changed to find it says higher sticker resolution. Not sure if that means higher save resolution or just stickers. I don't see much point to raising just sticker resolution so suspect maybe save resolution also went up. Still the UI of the new Free one is a vast improvement over the old one.
If you follow the App Store trail to app support it does take you to a website with a form. Filled it out the form but it eventually came back with a message that the server stopped responding so luckily he also had an email on their so sent a email to him. Now to see if he responds.
That is why I was searching so long. I haven't found a clue. I searched the store, AZ and even the web. Nothing. I even searched the app itself but there was nothing in it. No rate us link, no mail, no further information. And I even tried again to buy the kittens, but nothing happened to pop up. That is sooooo sad. :(

But now you have the fox complete, I won't wonder if the next EoS comes along with it. :lol:

That is why I was searching so long. I haven't found a clue. I searched the store, AZ and even the web. Nothing. I even searched the app itself but there was nothing in it. No rate us link, no mail, no further information. And I even tried again to buy the kittens, but nothing happened to pop up. That is sooooo sad. :(

But now you have the fox complete, I won't wonder if the next EoS comes along with it. :lol:
It's sad when you find a good app to have it disappear from the iTunes store. I wish apple always kept them. Last time I did a complete wipe I lost a couple apps and like yours they no longer show, even in the Purchased section, would like them back but can't...
Have you got the app in iTunes on the desktop, if so if you look at info it should show the developer. If you don't you could transfer it to iTunes and should show.
Well you never know if they will show up in the next EOS or not :) probably at some point, like Nabbit did :)

Back
Top Bottom