Larry the App Guy: My App Reviews

Full disclosure time. Neither pano was very satisfying because neither was wide enough vertically, which is where I felt the main action was.
IMG_0885.JPG

The reflections looking down were the real subject. If I could have made 2 or more rows of this scene, like in AutoStitch.

I like the reflections in the water and last shows some really interesting ring formation. That’s the problem with both these apps neither are high enough vertically and neither one will do multiple rows. HDR Panoramic I find the slow down message annoying :) but it does work and decent resolution.

WaterLily - Photo Editor by esDot Studio Inc

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/waterlily-photo-editor/id1315558235?mt=8

Currently a free app with no advertising and no In-Apps

A very simple editor with limited effects.

This is a simple oil painting look app that will either take and image or use an existing image from camera roll.

Load an image and you have three choices along the bottom, Paints, Covers and Colors.

Paints let you adjust the Oil Brush (oil painting look), Paper texture, Outline (adds either a white or black outline) and Wobble (how erratic the lines are).

Covers are really borders with different masks and colors, some are nice and can see myself using them.

Colors lets you adjust either Contrast or Brightness. If you have selected one of the Covers (Borders) there are two sliders for adjusting the colour and tint of the Cover and no effect on the image itself

Paint effects for the most part are pretty mild, ie no real heavy painting effect and the Wobble again is not extreme.

Save resolution is decent, not full sized which is unfortunate but on my Air 2 saves at 2570x1927 for a standard 4:3 ratio image and 2250x2250 for 1:1 ratio
The app only saves in the PNG Format

79D9BE5F-6DE1-414D-A657-04D68E0E88C6.jpeg

1416CF37-AD3C-4529-8024-A9989F36ECD0.jpeg

If you turn off the Oil Brush, Paper Texture, Outline and Wobble you can use the app to add one of their Covers (Borders) to a plain image.

5492E620-868F-4B09-BAC7-79B2323C2A11.jpeg

EDD68118-8135-4AC8-943F-C68142E0745A.jpeg

73055587-2097-4AFD-8195-76EAEA2F50C3.jpeg

This is a simple oil painting look app that will either take and image or use an existing image from camera roll.

Load an image and you have three choices along the bottom, Paints, Covers and Colors.

Paints let you adjust the Oil Brush (oil painting look), Paper texture, Outline (adds either a white or black outline) and Wobble (how erratic the lines are).

Covers are really borders with different masks and colors, some are nice and can see myself using them.

Colors lets you adjust either Contrast or Brightness. If you have selected one of the Covers (Borders) there are two sliders for adjusting the colour and tint of the Cover and no effect on the image itself

Paint effects for the most part are pretty mild, ie no real heavy painting effect and the Wobble again is not extreme.

Save resolution is decent, not full sized which is unfortunate but on my Air 2 saves at 2570x1927 for a standard 4:3 ratio image and 2250x2250 for 1:1 ratio

View attachment 102558

View attachment 102557

If you turn off the Oil Brush, Paper Texture, Outline and Wobble you can use the app to add one of their Covers (Borders) to a plain image.

View attachment 102559

View attachment 102560

View attachment 102561
Those first two images are lovely! This might be a great app to create collages/abstracts.

HDR Merge by Katerina Alieksieienko
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/hdr-merge/id1316413631?mt=8

Currently a free app
No ads
No In-Apps

A simple HDR app.
Basically take a picture and it will show three brackets that you can save or merge. If you save it saves three full image resolution pictures to Cameraroll. In settings you can set the number of stops between the brackets with 2, 3, 4 or 5 stops +/-.

If you merge the brackets you get the preview which you can zoom in on if you want to see more detail.

There are 5 presets plus a cancel, Enhanced, Sharp and Drama 0, 1 and 2. if you select on one of the presets you can tap the preset again and it will give you an intensity slider. On my iPad Air 2 every preset added noise and in the Drama ones a lot of noise and in Drama 1 and 2 they had a real muddy look to them.

The other editing choices are along the bottom with the presets and have:
Contrast - Contrast, Brightness, Saturation sliders
Light - Sliders for Exposure, Highlights, Shadows sliders
Color - Vibrance, Temperature, Tint sliders
You can also cancel any preset afterwards if you want or save then cancel the effect

The basic HDR is pretty natural looking but I really didn’t like any of the presets (for indoor use), mostly because of the noise that was added and the muddy looking results from some. Even the Sharp preset added noise.
Taking images outdoors the filters are not as muddy looking so look better and noise is not as much of an issue.

Basic HDR image shows no signs of halos although some of the presets start to.

This app, while you can save the brackets does not load from camera roll and images taken are not held within the app but images can be loaded into other HDR apps.
Taking the brackets is very fast and processing is also pretty fast.
All images in the app are saved as PGN’s which also means no exif data

For now I will keep it and try it when I can and see if I decide to keep it

DFF680FE-3012-48B7-B8A2-4DC93D01DDEF.jpeg

The UI works in portrait or landscape

DA8AF1F4-4F20-4FD7-8DAA-C58022441BE5.jpeg

The basic HDR image

23ECBEAE-E579-4283-A5AA-4A525B9F6D3E.jpeg

Enhanced Preset

943C2C11-70FA-4D9C-94D1-73F20B4BA882.jpeg

Drama 0 Preset

D6E9D607-F36A-4818-84EB-A6585D1259FA.jpeg

Drama 1 Preset

ECDE258F-6135-4EC1-82A9-6CD3BFD9ECAE.jpeg

Drama 2 Preset

Those first two images are lovely! This might be a great app to create collages/abstracts.
Paint effect is really not that strong so you would have to save it then load the saved and add more of the paint effect until you happy, I do like the Covers (Frames, borders or whatever you want to call them)

View attachment 102558

View attachment 102557

View attachment 102559

View attachment 102560

View attachment 102561
Not free anymore! :(

Lightsynth
Tae ho Lee
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/lightsynth/id1211646062?mt=8

Not a bad app but so far not a great one either. If the issues with the UI were delt with it would be a lot better.

Save resolution on my Air 2 is changeable between three settings, 1536x1612, 2150x1612 or 3072x2304, why its not full res is beyond me, its close though.
3 settings for how it meters, including one where you can set points.
10 times zoom by sliding up or down in the screen.
Can flip between front or rear camera.
Tap on screen for focus point.
Exposure points are set auto for two modes or it has manual which allows you to drag them.
It does take multiple images but unfortunately no export of the brackets.

Main screen has buttons for Shadow or Hightlights and each will use a different metering program. The Adaptive Rage can be set to Auto or turned off where you can then drag the exposure points to where you want them.
Once you take an image it takes about 5 seconds to process and show the preview screen and gives you the option of cropping.
Cropping is limited to the originals aspect ratio or 1:1, no free or other preset aspect ratios, when in cropping the icon changes to on or off for the 1:1 ratio, above it a very small icon to rotate and it will only rotate counter clockwise in 90deg jumps, on the left side is the accept button along with another tiny icon under it which is as far as I can tell as 1 step undo.
On the preview screen swiping left or right will give you filters, if you swipe fast enough you get a series of icons for the filters.

Once you get past the preview/edit it will let you save at one of three sizes, or share. It has to process when saving and that takes what seems as a long time, around 10 seconds.
In settings it is supposed to save automatically but I have had issues with that (though today it is working right), when you save it gives the options and the icons for where to save are really tiny. Bottom right corner one is camearoll and you can send to twitter, instagram etc or open in and send it to another app.
There are around 30 built in filters but after a quick look doubt I will use them much.

I would like to see the UI fixed so it it works better on the ipad, right now all the setting for modes is sort of squashed right up against the shutter button so sometimes if you want to set it to S-ADR you might hit the shutter button. In the screen shots for an iphone it has a bit more room.
Initial images are quick, about 1 second but then it processes which takes about 4-5 seconds where it switches to a preview/edit mode where you can crop or add a filter.
Final step is sharing or saving. Saving to cameraroll takes around 10 seconds as it reprocesses.

Exif data is nonexistent outside of pixel size, ie doesn’t tell you zoom, or location or anything else.

Last night was a pretty nice sunset here so I took pictures with this app both zoomed and not zoomed and also used FusionHDR, VividHDR, AutoBracket and then merged the brackets w Mobile-HDR.
Results looked very good and in fact I liked the looks of this apps exposure better then in any of the regular HDR apps except for one thing....

The one thing... is noise, this app has more noise then many other apps. I noticed it in the indoor images also but in the outdoor images I was a bit surprised to see it. It is minor and if I run the image through Noiseware (on its default setting) it will get rid of most of the noise if not all. Just having to do that is a pain though.

I will try to contact the developer about the issues and see
It was on sale yesterday for $0.99US and for that is a decent app

View attachment 102420

This is one of the images from last nights sunset, was only able to get a few images as the light faded really quick, which these days is early, there were taken just after 5pm.

Found the merged picture looks very pixelated when you zoom in. I'm speaking of iPod. And at first I thought it downsizes the picture to 1000 pix, but exif view says no, 2448x3264 pix. But compared to Fusion it's really poor though the size of around 12 MB should make it better.
And I don't get what it's good for to save the backers without the option to load them back later. And you can do it only one by one. Shoot, save, merge, save, next one.

I'll stay with FusionHDR, Merge was loaded, tried, deleted.

Edit: Sorry, quoted the wrong one, was supposed to answer Merge.

Yikes, that sure took a jump in price, $6.99 Canadian or I would think $4.99US is pretty expensive for what it does and has in it. I think a couple dollars would be fair but of course free was much better. Never saw anything that said release price was limited time...

And it is not able to save on 6pod. Always crashes within rendering. Think no competitor to BeCasso. [emoji4]

Found the merged picture looks very pixelated when you zoom in. I'm speaking of iPod. And at first I thought it downsizes the picture to 1000 pix, but exif view says no, 2448x3264 pix. But compared to Fusion it's really poor though the size of around 12 MB should make it better.
And I don't get what it's good for to save the backers without the option to load them back later. And you can do it only one by one. Shoot, save, merge, save, next one.

I'll stay with FusionHDR, Merge was loaded, tried, deleted.

Edit: Sorry, quoted the wrong one, was supposed to answer Merge.

Your quite right, if I zoom in on the images here they are very pixelated so when back to the originals and while the bracket shots look sharp all of the “Merged” images are pixelated, almost like they are using a very lo-res version when merging. So no will not use it at all. will watch for a update and see if they fix it as it should not be doing that.

Just for interest I went back and loaded the bracket shots into the app Mobile-HDR and end results are decent, ie no sign of pixelization so its something in how they are processing.

Maybe I will try to contact the developer and see what they have to say.

As mention I really didn’t like much of their presets but even the plain one is pixelated. I don’t need another app for brackets, there are several I use with good results, like fusion but the biggest drawback to this app is the lack of being able to import images but again is results are pixelated its not worth it...

And it is not able to save on 6pod. Always crashes within rendering. Think no competitor to BeCasso. [emoji4]
Have not had any issues saving with either app (this or WaterLily)

Hmmm Waterlily was $6.99 when I went to have a look.
I was surprised when I saw it had gone up and not just a little up, quite a jump in price and I wouldn’t pay that much for it.

Last edited:
I see an update for WaterLili came through today and one new feature is the output resolution has been raised to 8 MP. I didn’t realize it was substandard before but it still is now. Why not device resolution?
I missed it when it was free. Bought it at the full $6.99. And now it’s free again. Great timing.

I see an update for WaterLili came through today and one new feature is the output resolution has been raised to 8 MP. I didn’t realize it was substandard before but it still is now. Why not device resolution?
I missed it when it was free. Bought it at the full $6.99. And now it’s free again. Great timing.

Loaded the update, but it still crashes while rendering for save on 6pod. Haven tried it on 6s+ yet. Suppose it will work fine there.

With the latest update it now saves at 4096x4096 for 1:1 anything larger is scaled down. Other ratios are 4096 large side max.

Along with rotation of covers it would be nice if when you resized that it can be in both directions as it is now it gets larger or smaller but you can’t stretch in only one direction if you wanted. Good that the developer is listening to people and responding thats a step in the right direction.

Affinity Photo by Serif Labs

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/affinity-photo/id1117941080?mt=8

First off this is the lowest price I have seen for this app, regular price has been as high as $39.99CDN and then $27.99 and now its $13.99CDN ($9.99US).

At this point all I will say is it is incredible what it can do....

FundyBrian will do focus stacking which I think a long time ago you were looking for, this has it.

Panoramic stitching, this has it but will take a few days before I try it but should be able to export to whatever size you want.

When you are done you can save to about 8 different formats and you can even rescale the image larger though again have barely scratched the surface so far.

Works pretty good on my Air 2 but have seen comments that the Air 2 is the very minimum this will run on.

Huge app at around 1gig. When I downloaded to the desktop, which I always do with large apps, it said it was almost 800mb to download. Installed on my ipad it currently says it’s using 1.07gig.

It is going to take some time before I would be able to do a complete review or even a basic one but thought I should at least mention the sale price. Doesn’t say for how long.

Is it worth the $9.99US or $13.99Cdn, I thought so and bought it.

B14CAA55-F7CC-42C3-BE94-FF9E756994AD.jpeg

Affinity Photo by Serif Labs

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/affinity-photo/id1117941080?mt=8

First off this is the lowest price I have seen for this app, regular price has been as high as $39.99CDN and then $27.99 and now its $13.99CDN ($9.99US).

At this point all I will say is it is incredible what it can do....

FundyBrian will do focus stacking which I think a long time ago you were looking for, this has it.

Panoramic stitching, this has it but will take a few days before I try it but should be able to export to whatever size you want.

When you are done you can save to about 8 different formats and you can even rescale the image larger though again have barely scratched the surface so far.

Works pretty good on my Air 2 but have seen comments that the Air 2 is the very minimum this will run on.

Huge app at around 1gig. When I downloaded to the desktop, which I always do with large apps, it said it was almost 800mb to download. Installed on my ipad it currently says it’s using 1.07gig.

It is going to take some time before I would be able to do a complete review or even a basic one but thought I should at least mention the sale price. Doesn’t say for how long.

Is it worth the $9.99US or $13.99Cdn, I thought so and bought it.

View attachment 103011
WELL worth it even if it does freeze occasionally. I'm waiting for them to put the desktop on sale and then Photoshop is out of the window. At last a real contender. Adobe has held us by the short and curlies for too long.

Back
Top Bottom