Mobitog Health Thread

I also got my 4h Covid jab (the bivalent version) a week or two ago. No problems following the shot. I’ve only had 1 flu shot, decades ago, was so violently ill for weeks afterward that I prayed for death. Since I survived I have sworn off flu shots forever. I’ve never had a flu make me as sick as the preventative shot did. Glad to hear everyone else is doing okay as we head into winter.

I also got my 4h Covid jab (the bivalent version) a week or two ago. No problems following the shot. I’ve only had 1 flu shot, decades ago, was so violently ill for weeks afterward that I prayed for death. Since I survived I have sworn off flu shots forever. I’ve never had a flu make me as sick as the preventative shot did. Glad to hear everyone else is doing okay as we head into winter.
Glad you popped in! See on Instagram but have missed you here.

So, my Thymus decided to spring back to life, not sure if I mentioned this before, and in doing so, kind of half-heartedly, caused all kinds of interesting results. Breathing and swallowing are about the most visible. I always feel like I just ran up a hill. Swallowing is still hit and miss.

I’m fortunate in that it is of the “Ocular Myasthenia Gravis” persuasion, and conveniently labeled OMG, that affects the eyes: in my case the left one. It developed a mind of its own and despite persistent pleas would not straighten up and fly right.

I‘m also happy that the generic drug, Pyridostigmine, is one my body seems to enjoy. An interesting side effect though is if I accidentally take too much it literally looks like something is looking for something under my skin. It’s uncomfortable. And major weird. I feel certain in Hollywood horror circles I would be a celebrity. Yes, it’s that realistic. It fixed the eye though.

The Thymus is really good at setting up the immune system and some other stuff and is normally most active between birth and puberty. It should be well and truly shriveled up by age 70. Maybe I’m going to live long and prosper: or fester. Perhaps.

Oh. Possibly connected. My ADD came back and finding a doctor in this country to prescribe medication has been, well, a challenge. Work has become very interesting though. I’ve had to change my office around so I’m not looking out the window. On the upside it’s like, lunchtime? Already? Alright!

So, my Thymus decided to spring back to life, not sure if I mentioned this before, and in doing so, kind of half-heartedly, caused all kinds of interesting results. Breathing and swallowing are about the most visible. I always feel like I just ran up a hill. Swallowing is still hit and miss.

I’m fortunate in that it is of the “Ocular Myasthenia Gravis” persuasion, and conveniently labeled OMG, that affects the eyes: in my case the left one. It developed a mind of its own and despite persistent pleas would not straighten up and fly right.

I‘m also happy that the generic drug, Pyridostigmine, is one my body seems to enjoy. An interesting side effect though is if I accidentally take too much it literally looks like something is looking for something under my skin. It’s uncomfortable. And major weird. I feel certain in Hollywood horror circles I would be a celebrity. Yes, it’s that realistic. It fixed the eye though.

The Thymus is really good at setting up the immune system and some other stuff and is normally most active between birth and puberty. It should be well and truly shriveled up by age 70. Maybe I’m going to live long and prosper: or fester. Perhaps.

Oh. Possibly connected. My ADD came back and finding a doctor in this country to prescribe medication has been, well, a challenge. Work has become very interesting though. I’ve had to change my office around so I’m not looking out the window. On the upside it’s like, lunchtime? Already? Alright!
Wow Jeffrey, so much going on. I wonder what kick-started your thymus gland? Could it have been that Pyridwhatever stuff? Don’t take too much of that drug, would be my advice.:D And as long as you’re finding an upside, that’s a good thing.:thumbs:

You have an incredibly healthy way of looking at your maladies! I’m taking a lesson from you! I do hope you find the help you need for that ADD, soon. Is the thymus issue something that may resolve after awhile?

Wow Jeffrey, so much going on. I wonder what kick-started your thymus gland? Could it have been that Pyridwhatever stuff? Don’t take too much of that drug, would be my advice.:D And as long as you’re finding an upside, that’s a good thing.:thumbs:
You have an incredibly healthy way of looking at your maladies! I’m taking a lesson from you! I do hope you find the help you need for that ADD, soon. Is the thymus issue something that may resolve after awhile?
Thank you both :) :inlove: They, the researchers, don't really know right now. Basically, from my own research, (mostly theirs) it's an overactive immune system. Who knew? An over-achieving immune system. Hey. If I were a superhero I'd have "death ray" eyes that cured cancer just by looking at people.

Here's what else I found out. Acetylcholine is the compound that helps nerves communicate with muscles. Mine, thanks to the resurrected(ish) Thymus, is not able to "hook up" with those cute little receptors on the muscle side, due to Antibodies throwing their weight around and harshing everyone's mellow: especially mine.

So, the Pyridostigmine steps in and tickles the synapses into action, so that muscles contract properly, or I would probably look like a puddle of jello on the carpet. Yeah. Nobody wants to see that. Seriously though. I still ride mountain bike, and use the stairs to get to my office on the third floor, I even carry boxes that are delivered as long as they appear to contain chocolate. I bought a breathing trainer which looks like a trumpet that, as far as I can tell, is making a difference in my breathing. I decided, after going through pancreatic cancer with my late wife, not to let this get me down. Jennifer, when she came to the realization that her cancer was getting the better of her said, "I don't really want to die, but I suppose I'm going to have to." I can face this with the same level of class.

Anyway. Because this is classified as an autoimmune disease my body is basically at war with itself and attacks cells and tissues, muscle included. Weightlifting is helping, I think. The problem is that I have to consume huge amounts of protein to feed muscle growth and still don't look anything like Charles Atlas! Oh. Add to that that I'm also seronegative, where no antibodies can be identified. Yeah. These little buggers have hall passes with no names on them...

Of all the things to do with OMG the worst one is the difficulty swallowing. They call it Dysphagia. I have a pet name for it too ;)

There's no cure as far as I can tell. I could undergo a thymectomy to remove it but a doctor friend told me that there is a 50/50 chance that anything will change. At my age I'm not sure I want to go through all that. So I've come to grips with the fact that at some point in the future my breathing will stop. I mean, it will anyway OMG or not. Right?

I've not really talked about this a whole lot. Please forgive me if I overstepped the mark by sharing.

Thank you both :) :inlove: They, the researchers, don't really know right now. Basically, from my own research, (mostly theirs) it's an overactive immune system. Who knew? An over-achieving immune system. Hey. If I were a superhero I'd have "death ray" eyes that cured cancer just by looking at people.

Here's what else I found out. Acetylcholine is the compound that helps nerves communicate with muscles. Mine, thanks to the resurrected(ish) Thymus, is not able to "hook up" with those cute little receptors on the muscle side, due to Antibodies throwing their weight around and harshing everyone's mellow: especially mine.

So, the Pyridostigmine steps in and tickles the synapses into action, so that muscles contract properly, or I would probably look like a puddle of jello on the carpet. Yeah. Nobody wants to see that. Seriously though. I still ride mountain bike, and use the stairs to get to my office on the third floor, I even carry boxes that are delivered as long as they appear to contain chocolate. I bought a breathing trainer which looks like a trumpet that, as far as I can tell, is making a difference in my breathing. I decided, after going through pancreatic cancer with my late wife, not to let this get me down. Jennifer, when she came to the realization that her cancer was getting the better of her said, "I don't really want to die, but I suppose I'm going to have to." I can face this with the same level of class.

Anyway. Because this is classified as an autoimmune disease my body is basically at war with itself and attacks cells and tissues, muscle included. Weightlifting is helping, I think. The problem is that I have to consume huge amounts of protein to feed muscle growth and still don't look anything like Charles Atlas! Oh. Add to that that I'm also seronegative, where no antibodies can be identified. Yeah. These little buggers have hall passes with no names on them...

Of all the things to do with OMG the worst one is the difficulty swallowing. They call it Dysphagia. I have a pet name for it too ;)

There's no cure as far as I can tell. I could undergo a thymectomy to remove it but a doctor friend told me that there is a 50/50 chance that anything will change. At my age I'm not sure I want to go through all that. So I've come to grips with the fact that at some point in the future my breathing will stop. I mean, it will anyway OMG or not. Right?

I've not really talked about this a whole lot. Please forgive me if I overstepped the mark by sharing.
Not at all and you have my sympathy. I have a different autoimmune problem and expect to shuffle off from a lack of being able to breathe too. Unpleasant but if you can see it coming at least you get to gird your loins for it.

Thank you for trusting us with your story. Please continue to share anytime!

Not overstepped at all. :hearteyes: This is what makes Mobi unique imho - the fact that we can share what amounts to very personal info in a sympathetic/empathetic environment.

Back
Top Bottom