Pics from the neighborhood.. flooding, hurricane Harvey

ValeriGail

MobiLurver
Real Name
Valeri
Device
Thought I'd share some pictures from my little corner of the effects so far of Hurricane Harvey.

Flooding... and more flooding.... so much rain, guys. It has been raining straight for almost 48 hours. It seriously hasn't stopped, just slows to a soft rain for a time then picks back up.

My family and I have it way better than a lot of others, and for that I am thankful. I moved from Houston right after tropical storm Allison and swore I would never move back. That was a devastating storm. This one is worse. My heart goes out to everyone in the areas that affected by any part of this storm.

These were taken as my twins and I walked around this afternoon between 11-12. It was still raining the whole time. We came home soaked, but it felt good to get out and look around.

We started off with the truck stuck in that lovely mud that is now most of my yard....

HipstamaticPhoto-525542477.148258.jpg

Thankfully a nice neighbor stopped to help.
OriginalPhoto-525542709.130757.jpg

My husband was trying to go to work. A 45 minute drive into the north east Houston area. I tried to get him to not go, but he has a crazy sense of loyalty and wouldn't hear of it. Didn't want to let the other guys down. (They were planning to stay all day and night, taking shifts sleeping in their cars. He wanted to let one of them go home) He didn't get far before he had to turn around and come back home. He had just turned around to come home when the guys at worked called and asked him not to come, said the bosses decided it was too much of a risk. Thank you god!

Here the sheriff is out (for his second time today) to check the road conditions. He was out of his truck walking into the flooded area measuring the depth.
IMG_2104.JPG

Close up of the street where the sheriff was parked
IMG_2130.JPG

OriginalPhoto-525543764.618195.jpg

More in next post...

HipstamaticPhoto-525560569.427573.jpg

Ian playing in the "puddles"
HipstamaticPhoto-525560119.046480.jpg

HipstamaticPhoto-525544327.314891.jpg

I'm thinking about putting this one in its own thread and asking for edits from who ever wants to play with it. I think it might be fun to see how everyone would work with it, like a photoshop battle type thing.
IMG_2148.JPG

The last image I took on our walk. I was just captivated by this polka dotted leaf.
HipstamaticPhoto-525560378.791644.jpg

By 1 pm today, the ground was so soft that one side of our boat trailer has sunk into the yard. The pontoon, on that side, is now resting on the ground. Hopefully the earth doesn't swallow it cause it's my escape plan. [emoji23]
HipstamaticPhoto-525564183.678359.jpg

(Taken through my bedroom window cause I'm all dry now and well, comfy. Lol)

Thought I'd share some pictures from my little corner of the effects so far of Hurricane Harvey.
Wow Valeri!! And to think you're experiencing "mild" flooding... can't imagine what people in Houston, or along the direct path of Harvey, are experiencing. :( Glad you guys are okay, and thanks for sharing these photos.

And yeah, that red Hipsta edit is pretty cool! Although it kinda looks like it could be from the movie The Shining... :eek:

By 1 pm today, the ground was so soft that one side of our boat trailer has sunk into the yard. The pontoon, on that side, is now resting on the ground. Hopefully the earth doesn't swallow it cause it's my escape plan. [emoji23]
That's handy to have! I read about people getting to safety using boats, rubber rafts, and even air mattresses.

These are all on my street...

View attachment 98322

View attachment 98323

View attachment 98324

I couldn't help leaving this with the film/lens that it was shot with in Hipsta. I just loved how it highlighted the water.
View attachment 98325

View attachment 98326

This one is from around the corner, up the road.
View attachment 98327

More next post...

Oh what a horrible weather. I wish you all the best and hope that it soon will be over. I've never experienced anything like that. In Sweden the weather is seldom extreme.

View attachment 98329

View attachment 98330

View attachment 98331

I'm thinking about putting this one in its own thread and asking for edits from who ever wants to play with it. I think it might be fun to see how everyone would work with it, like a photoshop battle type thing.
View attachment 98332

The last image I took on our walk. I was just captivated by this polka dotted leaf.
View attachment 98333

View attachment 98335
Glad you came thru it safe.

View attachment 98329

View attachment 98330

View attachment 98331

View attachment 98332

View attachment 98333

View attachment 98335
Wow Valeri, that's a lot of rain (understatement of the year!). I'm glad that you're on the edges of the hurricane. I've seen images on the news about Houston - awful.

We did have a challenge called Edit This. Would you like me to start it up again and you can offer this image and then you can judge the winner?

Wow Valeri, that's a lot of rain (understatement of the year!). I'm glad that you're on the edges of the hurricane. I've seen images on the news about Houston - awful.

We did have a challenge called Edit This. Would you like me to start it up again and you can offer this image and then you can judge the winner?

Yep, we can do that! Just let me know what I need to do. [emoji16]

Update... day three, 8-28-17

I didn't get out much today. The stress of watching everything for 72 hours is getting to me. I'm exhausted, but can't sleep. My heart is heavy with feelings for those in harder circumstances than us. There is so much loss. I want to rush in and help, but know that isn't really a responsible action for me to take.

I did walk across the street to the water line in my neighborhood's back yard. The water level of the lake is scary, dangerously so. The dam, which is a very short drive away and an even shorter boat ride.. is fully open and letting record levels of water out. As of 1 pm, they were releasing 110,600 cfs through the spill way. Previously, the most they'd ever released during a flood (or any other time) was around 80,000 cfs. Flooding under the dam and down the river was devastating then, and is quickly becoming so now.

Even with all that water being let through the dam... this is how high the lake is, and is still rising..

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2228.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

This is inside a cove that is shared with the state park. I wasn't able to get to the open water, which is just passed the green land you can see in the distance in the pictures. That is just a small jetty, of sorts, man made to create the cove.

Today, we are planning to try and get to town. Quite a lot of flooding has happened in town. Thankfully the 3 grocery stores we have, have been able to stay open. But most businesses are closed, including most fast food, restaurants, and gas stations.

My area has been affected, but it still feels like a blessing because so many others are so much worse. Today is day 4, and it is still raining.

Keep everyone dealing with this event in your thoughts and/or prayers.

Lisa, if you see this.. I hope all is ok with you and yours. Been thinking of you through this.

I didn't get out much today. The stress of watching everything for 72 hours is getting to me. I'm exhausted, but can't sleep. My heart is heavy with feelings for those in harder circumstances than us. There is so much loss. I want to rush in and help, but know that isn't really a responsible action for me to take.

I did walk across the street to the water line in my neighborhood's back yard. The water level of the lake is scary, dangerously so. The dam, which is a very short drive away and an even shorter boat ride.. is fully open and letting record levels of water out. As of 1 pm, they were releasing 110,600 cfs through the spill way. Previously, the most they'd ever released during a flood (or any other time) was around 80,000 cfs. Flooding under the dam and down the river was devastating then, and is quickly becoming so now.

Even with all that water being let through the dam... this is how high the lake is, and is still rising..

View attachment 98389

View attachment 98390

View attachment 98391

View attachment 98392

This is inside a cove that is shared with the state park. I wasn't able to get to the open water, which is just passed the green land you can see in the distance in the pictures. That is just a small jetty, of sorts, man made to create the cove.

Today, we are planning to try and get to town. Quite a lot of flooding has happened in town. Thankfully the 3 grocery stores we have, have been able to stay open. But most businesses are closed, including most fast food, restaurants, and gas stations.

My area has been affected, but it still feels like a blessing because so many others are so much worse. Today is day 4, and it is still raining.

Lisa, if you see this.. I hope all is ok with you and yours. Been thinking of you through this.
Thank you for keeping us updated. So much devastation.... :( My friend's son lives in Houston, and so far his home has not been flooded (miraculously?!) Hugs to you and your family. XOXO

View attachment 98389

View attachment 98390

View attachment 98391

View attachment 98392

We have followed this disaster on Swedish news and we send our warmest thoughts to you and everyone else in the area ❣️[emoji259]

View attachment 98389

View attachment 98390

View attachment 98391

View attachment 98392

Water can cause such devastation as the images we have seen on the news show. I can't believe how high this water is. I'm sure I remember you posting an image of this area when you moved in and it didn't look like this. Of course we're all thinking of you and your family and hoping things get back to normal soon.

Update...

I don't have any pictures to share today. ☹️ I should have taken some, but my mind was so preoccupied with everything going on.

We drove into town to get some groceries first thing this morning. The water in the neighborhood and some of the town has started to recede... BUT the area south of the dam is 100x worse. They've called a mandatory evacuation for the areas under the dam and on the trinity river. Starts just 5 miles from me.

As we drove into Walmart parking lot, we saw a local group gathering preparing to head to those areas to offer rescue help. There were several boats, ATV's (a lot of dirt roads around here), and LARGE trucks. I wish I had taken a picture of them. I was just lost in the moment seeing it and feeling so grateful.

In the store, people were crazy friendly. This isn't the case normally. We had a few conversations, lots of "be safe" as a general acknowledgement to each other. One conversation was just about the ice cream we had in our cart. How that is exactly what they needed to go pick up cause a little ice cream might help.

The meat area was almost empty. They had employees cleaning the empty areas. There probably isn't meat to put out. That has me worried and thankful I had picked up 10 pounds of hamburger meat at sams 3 weeks ago. More thankful that we hadn't defrosted any of it yet, because we may need it.
There was no bread. Not at first. We were fixing to check out when my husband heard one of the managers calling out that the bread had arrived. The mrs bairds delivery showed up and they were stocking the shelfs, and handing bread directly to customers. I don't think I e ever been so happy to see bread, and I LOVE bread. I'd fight for the last roll at any restaurant. This is the second time this brand has shown up in the middle of this storm to make the deliveries. (One time was a walmart near hubbies work right in a flood area) No other bread is being stocked. I think my brand loyalty just changed. I'm in love with them now.

I should have taken pics while at the store. I didn't even think about it. My mind is just so full of everything going on.

We grabbed some Redbox movies, have been splurging on junk food (ice cream, remember [emoji6]) and having pizza for dinner. Trying to make things a little less heavy.

Also, I'm having a difficult time staying connected to the internet. My cable internet is going in and out at the house. Probably too much water on the lines. My cell service is struggling too. If I'm not here for a while, don't worry. I'll check in as soon as I can.

We grabbed some Redbox movies, have been splurging on junk food (ice cream, remember
emoji6.png
) and having pizza for dinner. Trying to make things a little less heavy.
:inlove:

As we drove into Walmart parking lot, we saw a local group gathering preparing to head to those areas to offer rescue help. There were several boats, ATV's (a lot of dirt roads around here), and LARGE trucks. I wish I had taken a picture of them. I was just lost in the moment seeing it and feeling so grateful.

In the store, people were crazy friendly. This isn't the case normally. We had a few conversations, lots of "be safe" as a general acknowledgement to each other. One conversation was just about the ice cream we had in our cart. How that is exactly what they needed to go pick up cause a little ice cream might help.
Yes.... Reminds me how people were in NYC and surrounding areas right after 9-11... people really do come together in hard times. :inlove:

Back
Top Bottom