Poetry and Photography

WOTANICUS

IOTM WInner - Sept 21
Real Name
Bill
Device
iPhone 12 Mini
As I have been lurking amongst the various threads and chats going on, I have spotted snippets of poetry and expressions of interest in the poetic theme. I am wondering if anyone is interested in the connection between the two arts and if anyone practices 'photopoetry'?

The reason I am interested is that I have had some of my photographs published with a poets words and have also written a portfolio of poems, which relate to photographs. I would be really keen to create another portfolio and am fascinated by the connection of words and images. Or am I too far off topic here ?

As I have been lurking amongst the various threads and chats going on, I have spotted snippets of poetry and expressions of interest in the poetic theme. I am wondering if anyone is interested in the connection between the two arts and if anyone practices 'photopoetry'?

The reason I am interested is that I have had some of my photographs published with a poets words and have also written a portfolio of poems, which relate to photographs. I would be really keen to create another portfolio and am fascinated by the connection of words and images. Or am I too far off topic here ?
Over to you Starzee Star. YOU are the photoetry star. :D

We did have this Bill, but it was a little while ago. https://mobitog.com/threads/haiku-photo-hai-oto.23330/

Not far off at all. I think the right words can enhance an image and open up another dimension to it. I haven't written any poetry since college, but I love finding apt lines or lyrics or quotes that fit an image. Go for it!

Also -- and I can't say why I feel this is related -- you might enjoy the Rephotographing Old Photos thread from a while back. There are some great old photos and good tips in there for bringing traditional photos into the mobile-only zone. I've been thinking lately about ways to combine some of the old photos into new collages.

Over to you Starzee Star. YOU are the photoetry star. :D

We did have this Bill, but it was a little while ago. https://mobitog.com/threads/haiku-photo-hai-oto.23330/
I think this is a different sort of entity. Mine was encouraging self expression, this also adds the the already written word with images. I think the two ideas can co-exist in one thread. I can change my thread to reflect that or we can start fresh.

Or would it be too confusing and leave it separate? I am being wishy washy.

I think this is a different sort of entity. Mine was encouraging self expression, this also adds the the already written word with images. I think the two ideas can co-exist in one thread. I can change my thread to reflect that or we can start fresh.

Or would it be too confusing and leave it separate? I am being wishy washy.
Well this is great news indeed. I hadn't seen either of these suggested threads, neither Star's or the Rephotographing Old Photos one, but they both touch on ideas and interests that intruigue me.

Star - dont change anything, or start a whole new thread, the ideas can happily co-exist in the same thread. Let me have a look at both threads and see what I can contribute. Its quite a varied field anyway, so there is plenty of room for expression. I have to say Im enjoying this forum more and more!

Also -- and I can't say why I feel this is related -- you might enjoy the Rephotographing Old Photos thread from a while back. There are some great old photos and good tips in there for bringing traditional photos into the mobile-only zone. I've been thinking lately about ways to combine some of the old photos into new collages.
This sounds ideal, right up my street. Another string to my already crowded artistic bow!

Not far off at all. I think the right words can enhance an image and open up another dimension to it. I haven't written any poetry since college, but I love finding apt lines or lyrics or quotes that fit an image. Go for it!
Thats great to hear Ted, good to know im in poetic company too!

So has anyone written any ekphrastic poetry? or used a photograph as the basis for a full poem, as opposed to a haiku?

So has anyone written any ekphrastic poetry? or used a photograph as the basis for a full poem, as opposed to a haiku?
Sorry, after seventeen syllables, I forget where I was going with it….. :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom