Rephotographing Old Photos

Something a bit nearer the present

IMG_5850.JPG

Summer 1952 at Wright's Lake in California. The kid front and center is me at not quite 5, if the date on the photo is correct. I remember it well enough to tell you that I'm eating ginger snaps. Immediately behind me are my two sisters and behind them two kids we met at the campground.

Same problem with curling that rizole mentioned. In this case I decided to deal with it by backing off a bit to include some of the background and keep it all in focus, but some way to flatten it is probably the real answer.

Last edited:
Hand held pic taken next to the window with the daylight LED lighting on. You can see some banding on the right of the photo from the LEDS so I'll try the next without them.

My first observation is many of my old photos are curved. I had to place a glass on each edge of this to get it to lie flat. This is my dad and his sister, taken around 1935 ish.View attachment 92224
My second observation is I have nothing I can add colour to pictures with except filters, which don't hold mich interest for me in this kind of project.
Tried this in Snapseed just brushing temperature on.View attachment 92225
This is a wonderful photo. So much laughter in both their eyes!

Something a bit nearer the present

View attachment 92280

Summer 1952 at Wright's Lake in California. The kid front and center is me at not quite 5, if the date on the photo is correct. I remember it well enough to tell you that I'm eating ginger snaps. Immediately behind me are my two sisters and behind them two kids we met at the campground.

Same problem with curling that rizole mentioned. In this case I decided to deal with it by backing off a bit to include some of the background and keep it all in focus, but some way to flatten it is probably the real answer.

This is great... funny the things we remember. "Ginger snaps".

Snapseed.jpg

Somebody got a new bike.

November, 1946 (the year before I was born), my two sisters in the backyard of our house in Sacramento, California. The original was shot, developed, and printed by our parents and is in superb shape. This digital version was captured with an iPad Pro using Google PhotoScan. I made no adjustments to it at all except to crop off the remains of the white border.

View attachment 92455

Somebody got a new bike.

November, 1946 (the year before I was born), my two sisters in the backyard of our house in Sacramento, California. The original was shot, developed, and printed by our parents and is in superb shape. This digital version was captured with an iPad Pro using Google PhotoScan. I made no adjustments to it at all except to crop off the remains of the white border.
What a great smile!

View attachment 92455

Somebody got a new bike.

What a great image!!! Look at all that joy! :D (nice bike too!)

View attachment 92455

Somebody got a new bike.

This is such a happy image. I love the looks on your sisters' faces!

Cool!
It's funny to me how people never smiled in photos back then. I wonder what they'd think about the selfie craze nowadays. o_O
Found this on the internet, so it must be true.

By the 17th century in Europe it was a well-established fact that the only people who smiled broadly, in life and in art, were the poor, the lewd, the drunk, the innocent, and the entertainment.

Want to be seen as upper class and as a person of good character? Don’t smile.

For this reason, both the creators and the sitters of portraits had good reason to keep the smiles out of the resulting images, which explains why we don’t see photos of famous figures donning a grin in their official portraits.

Found this on the internet, so it must be true.

By the 17th century in Europe it was a well-established fact that the only people who smiled broadly, in life and in art, were the poor, the lewd, the drunk, the innocent, and the entertainment.

Want to be seen as upper class and as a person of good character? Don’t smile.

For this reason, both the creators and the sitters of portraits had good reason to keep the smiles out of the resulting images, which explains why we don’t see photos of famous figures donning a grin in their official portraits.
How fascinating!! Well if anyone came back to life from that era they'd think we were ALL a bunch of poor, drunken, lewd entertainers. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom