B&W RESULT: #03 Black & White Challenge

If you pick one in particular Sondy, maybe we could ask the poster.:thumbs:

For example all the bicycles photos are sharp, with no noticeable noises at all.

Btw, most of time i heard about Noiseware, but unfortunately it's not available in my country store. Is that any alternative app that perform well like it?

IMG_4247.JPG

Ip5s, Hueless, Snapseed.

This is just a spontaneous shot.
When i sat down in sofa at my parents house, waiting for breakfast be ready (or something else maybe, forget ), I spot this scene.

Shot with Hueless (standard settings) and edit with Snapseed (cropping, tune image, brightness&contras in b/w)

Hope it's OK to post more than 1 photo

Edit: just re-read the rules in page 1. Sorry its over the timeline, cause here is 18th Des 2016 when I posted it :)

Last edited:
View attachment 85679

Ip5s, Hueless, Snapseed.

When i sat down in sofa at my parents house, waiting for breakfast be ready (or something else maybe, forget ), I spot this scene.

Shot with Hueless (standard settings) and edit with Snapseed (cropping, tune image, brightness&contras in b/w)

Edit: just re-read the rules in page 1. Sorry its over the timeline, cause here is 18th Des 2016 when I posted it :)
Shame you missed the deadline, that's quite a picture.

View attachment 85679

Ip5s, Hueless, Snapseed.

Very nice picture, indeed.
If you like, you can withdraw it and submit it instead to the new B&W challenge .
If you want to do that, hit the little Report Button and ask for the image to be moved for you.
The Report Button is like the BatPhone - it goes straight to the staffroom and whoever sees it first will fix it for you.

View attachment 85679

Ip5s, Hueless, Snapseed.

Please resubmit this in the new #04 B&W Challenge thread that I've just started Sondy. It's stunning.

I've deliberated and the winner is ...

RHKing Robert with Shadowplay - 3. A stunning double exposure - not black and white, but lovely shades of grey. And it shows the secret of good DEs - the artistic amalgmation of two great images. Lovely.:thumbs:

F5D3F6FF-A588-429C-BA82-8C08F31627DD-438-0000004E97CA1D5D_tmp.jpg

Second place goes to Twinkletoes Linda with Toffee. Not the usual pet photo. It's taken from an unusual angle with lovely editing.
9C45C449-0524-4DE1-AE17-92FE1CA42320-438-0000004F1803E02F_tmp.jpg

Joint Third is terse Ted and deepop David. Ted with At the Edge of the Woods. That toadstool really pops out of the that grass. Great editing to produce this.
76088F30-4F66-4D22-BE47-74B4339F9F83-438-0000004EBF5660F4_tmp.jpg

And a completely different, but equally lovely, Tis the Season from deepop David. Another great piece of editing.
36F2D343-0E65-4837-9B7C-9F67EE1A89CB-438-0000004EC6255B13_tmp.jpg

All the submissions have been of such high quality this week. Well done to everyone. :thumbs: I will now go and hang Robert's image up in the gallery.:)

RHKing Robert with Shadowplay - 3. A stunning double exposure - not black and white, but lovely shades of grey. And it shows the secret of good DEs - the artistic amalgmation of two great images. Lovely.:thumbs:

What is DEs? Sorry for my laziness...

Anyway, thanks JillyG, i will repost it IF i can't find better one :D

Linda, sck Sondy is asking how you achieved such sharpness in this image. Would you be able to tell us bit about how you edited this? He's eager to learn. :)

The pictures of the outdoor and indoor bike storage were taken in September 2015 on iphone 5s. (That much i was able to find out by looking at them now in Snapseed.
I usually convert to BW in Monokrom/Dramatic BW/Snapseed in that order of preference as Monokrom is the fastest.
I do very little editing other than crop and erasing electric cables etc, and adding a vignette where i think appropriate, sometimes using snapseed's if i havent done a conversion in Dramatic.
I have never ever used noise reduction.
Occasionally i correct exposure using Clarity in Camera+.
Sharpness: it helps to have a clean lens... and waiting that extra second for iphone to focus. Otherwise i use the AE/AF lock. Often its not till i see the pics on my big screen that i see they arent crisp enough.
I have no way of working out how i took the bike photos. You are asking someone (who cannot understand ISO/WB and effing stops despite help from all around) for information that her old brain hasnt retained.

The pictures of the outdoor and indoor bike storage were taken in September 2015 on iphone 5s. (That much i was able to find out by looking at them now in Snapseed.
I usually convert to BW in Monokrom/Dramatic BW/Snapseed in that order of preference as Monokrom is the fastest.
I do very little editing other than crop and erasing electric cables etc, and adding a vignette where i think appropriate, sometimes using snapseed's if i havent done a conversion in Dramatic.
Sharpness: it helps to have a clean lens... and waiting that extra second for iphone to focus. Otherwise i use the AE/AF lock. Often its not till i see the pics on my big screen that i see they arent crisp enough.
I have no way of working out how i took the bike photos. You are asking someone (who cannot understand ISO/WB and effing stops despite help from all around) for information that her old brain hasnt retained.

Thanks Linda. No, no need to worry about how you took the bike photo. You've done a brilliant job of explaining the editing. Good tip about the clean lens.:thumbs: How often do we clean our lenses? And also waiting for the device to focus. Thank you.

View attachment 85680

Second place goes to Twinkletoes Linda with Toffee. Not the usual pet photo. It's taken from an unusual angle with lovely editing.
View attachment 85681

Joint Third is terse Ted and deepop David. Ted with At the Edge of the Woods. That toadstool really pops out of the that grass. Great editing to produce this.
View attachment 85682

And a completely different, but equally lovely, Tis the Season from deepop David. Another great piece of editing.
View attachment 85683

All the submissions have been of such high quality this week. Well done to everyone. :thumbs: I will now go and hang Robert's image up in the gallery.:)

Wow! Thank you so much. I will now treat myself to a cream cake xxx

Thanks Linda. No, no need to worry about how you took the bike photo. You've done a brilliant job of explaining the editing. Good tip about the clean lens.:thumbs: How often do we clean our lenses? And also waiting for the device to focus. Thank you.

I used to make a copy of edited pics and saved them on iphone in a 'how i did this edit' folder, and would scribble the how on the copy using snap pen.

Something else to consider: often, apps allow you to save at different resolutions, some-like prisma-keep the res low and square. I think it was iphoneography central once had a list of which apps produced what resolution.

Then theres Clear cam and Cortex cam which produce sharp pics and if my leaky memory serves me, i think Clear can process in enhanced mode to 18megapixels.

I used to make a copy of edited pics and saved them on iphone in a 'how i did this edit' folder, and would scribble the how on the copy using snap pen.

Something else to consider: often, apps allow you to save at different resolutions, some-like prisma-keep the res low and square. I think it was iphoneography central once had a list of which apps produced what resolution.

Then theres Clear cam and Cortex cam which produce sharp pics and if my leaky memory serves me, i think Clear can process in enhanced mode to 18megapixels.

Didn't think Clear worked anymore

Hydra produces 32 megapixels

Thank u so much for explanation Twinkletoes :)

Yes, sharpness is one thing i always forget when taking photos. Most of them because of my patiently not high enough to wait the app to focus :)

Most of my photos taken with Hueless (which is a b/w-only camera) as far as i know have no noise reduction or anything related to that kind. So, dimmer the light source noiser the result will be.

Thank u so much for explanation Twinkletoes :)

Yes, sharpness is one thing i always forget when taking photos. Most of them because of my patiently not high enough to wait the app to focus :)

Most of my photos taken with Hueless (which is a b/w-only camera) as far as i know have no noise reduction or anything related to that kind. So, dimmer the light source noiser the result will be.

Ok im posting two versions of same pic for you taken with iphone7 native cam:
Color one: AE/AF Locked and i drew sun slider down to reduce light
BW one: Same picture converted to BW (without loss of resolution) using Simply B&W - i think you will find it has more options than Hueless. You can use it to shoot in BW too.

Could just be my eyes, but they dont look too noisy to me.

53bb14c4b200cf15684606e60af5aabd.jpg

390b1264d965cecd6f86c0dac6b46937.jpg

Last edited:
Didn't think Clear worked anymore

Hydra produces 32 megapixels

Didnt know about Hydra Chris - ill look into it. You are partly right about Clear, its gone from the appstore but i still have it working on my phone and the output was 25.something mega ps using 'enhanced'

Back
Top Bottom