B&W RESULT: #152 Black & White Challenge

1C397047-3F5B-4242-A917-FF6810C59479.jpeg

Seagull :) Biarritz - Pays Basque - France
iPhone XS - Snapseed

Ted’s wonderful Angel’s Trumpet brings this particular Black and White Challenge to a CLOSE. Nagaisgich Carmel has her work cut out with TWO challenges to judge.:eek: Whenever you’re ready Carmel, please choose your favourites. :thumbs:

Im up. Looking forward to this! do I pick first second and third?
If you like. Most often judges do. Sometimes there are some honorable mentions. You are the judge, so you get to do it your way. (I’m singing that last part.)

And results are in. This was not easy. For the first go, I looked for images that are improved and or became more interesting with conversion to B&W. On the second pass, I looked for story and or mystery. ON the third pass, I wanted flow rather than busyness. So you may see a theme of leading lines. The Honorable Mentions impressed me with technique ... clear focus, beautifully contrasted tones, etc.

Ist Place: Jilly G. For some reason I kept thinking shoemaker in his dark hut while the world waits so close by. But it's not actually a shoe maker shop. The two textures divided out the window are beautiful.
JillyG 1st.jpeg

2nd Place: Dscheff. Love the shadow ... this picture was made eerie by conversion! Great flow ... I can imagine lots of movement without it being busy all over. Seems a bit subversive against pretty flower pictures :)

dscheff 2nd.jpeg

3rd Place: Rizole. Love the false triptych idea. Love the combo of grittiness below nature. Love the contrast. Softer contrast above the high contrast of grafitti. Power of nature, good story.

rizole 3rd.jpeg

I have some Honorable Mentions! As stated above, they had outstanding B&W techniques and or features.

JillyG, Kentaro, SinnerJohn, Kevin Barret. Sinnerjohn's folded town was so evocative of an old folded picture... I've moved several times and my previous towns could be folded up this way :)

JillyG HM.jpeg
kentaro HM.jpeg
sinnerjohn HM2.jpeg
Kevin Barrett HM.jpeg

This was one of the most interesting Sunday mornings I've had in a long time. I found something great in every photo but it wouldn't be a contest if I didn't allow myself to choose a few over a lot :) Congrats everyone.

And results are in. This was not easy. For the first go, I looked for images that are improved and or became more interesting with conversion to B&W. On the second pass, I looked for story and or mystery. ON the third pass, I wanted flow rather than busyness. So you may see a theme of leading lines. The Honorable Mentions impressed me with technique ... clear focus, beautifully contrasted tones, etc.

Ist Place: Jilly G. For some reason I kept thinking shoemaker in his dark hut while the world waits so close by. But it's not actually a shoe maker shop. The two textures divided out the window are beautiful.
View attachment 151878

2nd Place: Dscheff. Love the shadow ... this picture was made eerie by conversion! Great flow ... I can imagine lots of movement without it being busy all over. Seems a bit subversive against pretty flower pictures :)

View attachment 151879

3rd Place: Rizole. Love the false triptych idea. Love the combo of grittiness below nature. Love the contrast. Softer contrast above the high contrast of grafitti. Power of nature, good story.

View attachment 151880

I have some Honorable Mentions! As stated above, they had outstanding B&W techniques and or features.

JillyG, Kentaro, SinnerJohn, Kevin Barret. Sinnerjohn's folded town was so evocative of an old folded picture... I've moved several times and my previous towns could be folded up this way :)

View attachment 151882View attachment 151883View attachment 151885View attachment 151886

This was one of the most interesting Sunday mornings I've had in a long time. I found something great in every photo but it wouldn't be a contest if I didn't allow myself to choose a few over a lot :) Congrats everyone.
Well done, Nagaisgich, and congrats to JillyG! Applause for dscheff, sinnerjohn, and all the HMs. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

View attachment 151878

View attachment 151879

View attachment 151880

View attachment 151882View attachment 151883View attachment 151885View attachment 151886

Done like a pro. Great job Carmel, and not just because I came first. :lol: I’m super pleased that you saw something that you liked in that workshop window. Group hug to dscheff Jeffrey and rizole Rizole - two wonderful images. High fives (or sixes if you’re Anne Boleyn) to the HMs. It was a great week to be black and white. Onwards and upwards. Okay, I’m taking myself off to the Gallery.:D

Done like a pro. Great job Carmel, and not just because I came first. :lol: I’m super pleased that you saw something that you liked in that workshop window. Group hug to dscheff Jeffrey and rizole Rizole - two wonderful images. High fives (or sixes if you’re Anne Boleyn) to the HMs. It was a great week to be black and white. Onwards and upwards. Okay, I’m taking myself off to the Gallery.:D
Thanks for the encouraging words!

View attachment 151878

View attachment 151879

View attachment 151880

Fabulous choices Carmel!! A big "WOW" to JillyG - your winning image is just stunning. :inlove: :notworthy: High fives to placers dscheff Jeffrey and rizole, and all the worthy HMs! The talent here continues to inspire me. :inlove:

View attachment 151878

View attachment 151879

View attachment 151880

Brilliant Jilly! Congrats to all the other winners. Some stunning images once more!

Back
Top Bottom