B&W RESULT:#27 Black & White Challenge

...I know the name, Kylie Minogue, and even know the pronunciation. But I don't know any of her songs. <ducks head to avoid any fan-thrown boots> :confused: :whistle: :zip:

IMG_1661.JPG

Bouquet - snapseed

Okay, this black and white challenge is now closed. sinnerjohn John, if you'd like to do your stuff and judge, that would be great.:thumbs:

Time to strut my funky stuff as JillyG puts it.......ok nearly put it ;)

15 images this week minus my two = 13, but as ever, all of a great standard.
When we are asked, or in this case win, the weekly right to judge, we are always going to look subjectively at the images presented and as its a competition we know that 'the judge' will look at the work and decide in his or her opinion, which is the best. With that in mind I'd like to say a little about my thought processes and why I didn't like certain things rather than just saying these are all great but this one is best.
The thing I like best about the b/w challenge is that b/w leads itself generally to more 'straight' photography, as opposed to artistic or more stylised editing. This week there were some fine examples and I had to look more for what I didn't like about the ones I liked (are you with me there).
First up was Chemotaxis with a ruined building shot. Nice subject, one I'd like to shoot myself, but I found the sky too dark and lacking in contrast to the building.
Next was terse with a nice contrasty shot, but I was confused what the shot was actually meant to represent. We've seen this type of shot from you before Ted, must do better is on your report card.
RoseCat next with a tangled fence, technically brilliant but see comment above re Ted.
Now terse hits us with a rose shot and even he titles it 'another' rose. What does that tell you ?
GroovyGouvy next with her Trinkhalle. Nothing wrong with the image, technically nice, great background info, just didn't set me on fire.
Then JillyG posts a more edited guitarist shot. I actually like this, it tells a story and is interesting.
Unfortunately I don't share Rogs enthusiasm for Kylie, hell I'll probably get ejected for that comment alone ;)
Then another from terse of a woody wonder (Ted is firing on all cylinders this week) again technically great but leaves me wanting more.
Now comes sdimbour with a goosey shot. I love Sandra's work, I'm a big fan of her style. But oops the goose popping up, I dunno, maybe I'm just not in the mood for cute this week.
Here comes Ted again, he really does keep this comp on course doesn't he. Great tree shot Ted.
And then deepop who again I'm a big fan of. But in this case goes for cute, see comment above David.
The penultimate post is RHKing who posts one of his quite amazing shadow series. AGAIN I'm a massive fan of Robert's and his shadow series is spectacular. The window, the woman's face in the window, the texture of the wall are just amazing......but......for me the shadow just doesn't look right. It looks superimposed, I'd love to know more about this shot Robert and if the shadow is superimposed I'd like to see it without.
Finally Chemotaxis with a starry starry night shot and I have to agree with Rosecat about the tranquil feel of the shot.
If you've read this far then I thank you and hope you 'get' the British sense of humour and you are not raising a lynching party as I type :eek: But I thought it might be interesting to be brutally honest. Well I could have been more brutal to be honest ;)
This weeks winner of MobiB/W#27 is....... terse with that amazing tree.
upload_2017-6-11_21-41-38.jpeg

Second is RHKing shadow or no shadow, that is one great image and reminds me of 'The Ring'.
upload_2017-6-11_21-43-1.jpeg

Third place has to be JillyG with a fine piece of editing.
upload_2017-6-11_21-44-13.jpeg

HM's to everyone else :thumbs:
No rizole this week? Giving everyone a chance mate? :thumbs:

Time to strut my funky stuff as JillyG puts it.......ok nearly put it ;)

15 images this week minus my two = 13, but as ever, all of a great standard.
When we are asked, or in this case win, the weekly right to judge, we are always going to look subjectively at the images presented and as its a competition we know that 'the judge' will look at the work and decide in his or her opinion, which is the best. With that in mind I'd like to say a little about my thought processes and why I didn't like certain things rather than just saying these are all great but this one is best.
The thing I like best about the b/w challenge is that b/w leads itself generally to more 'straight' photography, as opposed to artistic or more stylised editing. This week there were some fine examples and I had to look more for what I didn't like about the ones I liked (are you with me there).
First up was Chemotaxis with a ruined building shot. Nice subject, one I'd like to shoot myself, but I found the sky too dark and lacking in contrast to the building.
Next was terse with a nice contrasty shot, but I was confused what the shot was actually meant to represent. We've seen this type of shot from you before Ted, must do better is on your report card.
RoseCat next with a tangled fence, technically brilliant but see comment above re Ted.
Now terse hits us with a rose shot and even he titles it 'another' rose. What does that tell you ?
GroovyGouvy next with her Trinkhalle. Nothing wrong with the image, technically nice, great background info, just didn't set me on fire.
Then JillyG posts a more edited guitarist shot. I actually like this, it tells a story and is interesting.
Unfortunately I don't share Rogs enthusiasm for Kylie, hell I'll probably get ejected for that comment alone ;)
Then another from terse of a woody wonder (Ted is firing on all cylinders this week) again technically great but leaves me wanting more.
Now comes sdimbour with a goosey shot. I love Sandra's work, I'm a big fan of her style. But oops the goose popping up, I dunno, maybe I'm just not in the mood for cute this week.
Here comes Ted again, he really does keep this comp on course doesn't he. Great tree shot Ted.
And then deepop who again I'm a big fan of. But in this case goes for cute, see comment above David.
The penultimate post is RHKing who posts one of his quite amazing shadow series. AGAIN I'm a massive fan of Robert's and his shadow series is spectacular. The window, the woman's face in the window, the texture of the wall are just amazing......but......for me the shadow just doesn't look right. It looks superimposed, I'd love to know more about this shot Robert and if the shadow is superimposed I'd like to see it without.
Finally Chemotaxis with a starry starry night shot and I have to agree with Rosecat about the tranquil feel of the shot.
If you've read this far then I thank you and hope you 'get' the British sense of humour and you are not raising a lynching party as I type :eek: But I thought it might be interesting to be brutally honest. Well I could have been more brutal to be honest ;)
This weeks winner of MobiB/W#27 is....... terse with that amazing tree.
View attachment 94945

Second is RHKing shadow or no shadow, that is one great image and reminds me of 'The Ring'.
View attachment 94946

Third place has to be JillyG with a fine piece of editing.
View attachment 94947

HM's to everyone else :thumbs:
No rizole this week? Giving everyone a chance mate? :thumbs:
Wow John, you must need a lay down after that, don't you? It's great to get your judge-y thoughts. Ted's tree is a wonderful image - well done Ted. Robert's image, with or without the shadow, is a stunner. And thank you for my third place.

I will now transport Ted's marvellous tree to the Gallery.

John, I really appreciate that you took the time, effort, and thought to articulate your reactions to all the posted photos. I think all too often we just say what we like about our top choices but rarely comment on where we may have come up short. I know that it's only one person's opinion, but the feedback is really helpful. Thumbs way up!

Back
Top Bottom