B&W RESULT:#30 Black & White Challenge

Winchester
Taken with Hipstamatic and edited in Snapseed and IC

IMG_6445.JPG

Last edited:
View attachment 95730
behind the scenes - snapseed

Love the juxtapositions. First thought: 'Bleak House': all that bare face, concrete & rubble . Then I see acres of newer (?) development in background. Then back to the chirpy umbrella - perhaps a human underneath it? - and surrounded by little pots of things growing.

Love the juxtapositions. First thought: 'Bleak House': all that bare face, concrete & rubble . Then I see acres of newer (?) development in background. Then back to the chirpy umbrella - perhaps a human underneath it? - and surrounded by little pots of things growing.
Thanks Jen, I wasn't really sure it worked as a b/w and I'm still not, but glad you 'saw' something in it. Its Dubrovnik, which has been rebuilt after their terrible siege. Over 50% of the buildings in the old town sustained some kind of damage, so its quite remarkable how it looks (to the tourist anyway) now. Behind the scenes though I guess there are still areas that need a little tlc.

Thanks Jen, I wasn't really sure it worked as a b/w and I'm still not, but glad you 'saw' something in it. Its Dubrovnik, which has been rebuilt after their terrible siege. Over 50% of the buildings in the old town sustained some kind of damage, so its quite remarkable how it looks (to the tourist anyway) now. Behind the scenes though I guess there are still areas that need a little tlc.
Knowing this backstory makes the image so poignant to me, especially the little scene in the bottom left with laundry hanging to dry and the bright & cheery umbrella, rubble and ruins right across the wall. :inlove:

Righty-ho, this Black and White Challenge is officially closed. terse Ted, it's now up to you to perform the usual judge-y duties. :D

OK, hands up everyone who thought they knew the winner as soon as it was posted? Right, I thought so, too. We were all wrong because you never know the winners until all the images have been posted. So this week:

First goes to ImageArt for "How to keep dry on a wet day," a great capture of a fleeting moment, with the oddity of the solemn-faced young man and his inside-out umbrella, and the strong diagonal of the passer-by looking back over his shoulder. And though there are the potential distractions of signs and walls and trees and even someone standing directly behind umbrella guy (which I didn't notice until I'd looked at the image several times), nothing gets in the way of the eye-catching central arrangement.

snapseed-jpg.95724

Second goes to JillyG for her striking Trigraphy portrait of Natalie. This cubist sort of fracturing is not an effect I usually like, but here it works wonderfully well, though I can't say exactly why. Maybe it's the simplicity of the original portrait and the beauty of its subject combined with the fragmenting that makes me look more closely at the details. Or maybe it's just really good.

img_4699-jpg.95649

Third goes to sinnerjohn for his "behind the scenes" look at Dubrovnik. You should all make sure you look at this image full size, on the biggest screen you can find, because there are so many things to see: the contrast of the rubble in the foreground with the beautiful city spread out around, the glimpse of the river and boats between buildings, the two stairways leading to emptiness in the ruins, the signs of life reclaiming the blasted space with the washing and potted plants and umbrella on the left and the stacks of beehives (I think) on the right, and finally the grafitti in the lower right reading "tu prije 617 dana," which Google translates from the Croatian as "there 617 days ago." That's a lot to get in one image.

20170601_113011-jpg.95730

And a Special Mention goes to rizole for patience, fortitude, and general foolhardiness in attempting to outwait a cat:

tmp_32632-20170625_172549-01332604617-jpeg.95549

OK, hands up everyone who thought they knew the winner as soon as it was posted? Right, I thought so, too. We were all wrong because you never know the winners until all the images have been posted. So this week:

First goes to ImageArt for "How to keep dry on a wet day," a great capture of a fleeting moment, with the oddity of the solemn-faced young man and his inside-out umbrella, and the strong diagonal of the passer-by looking back over his shoulder. And though there are the potential distractions of signs and walls and trees and even someone standing directly behind umbrella guy (which I didn't notice until I'd looked at the image several times), nothing gets in the way of the eye-catching central arrangement.

snapseed-jpg.95724

Second goes to JillyG for her striking Trigraphy portrait of Natalie. This cubist sort of fracturing is not an effect I usually like, but here it works wonderfully well, though I can't say exactly why. Maybe it's the simplicity of the original portrait and the beauty of its subject combined with the fragmenting that makes me look more closely at the details. Or maybe it's just really good.

img_4699-jpg.95649

Third goes to sinnerjohn for his "behind the scenes" look at Dubrovnik. You should all make sure you look at this image full size, on the biggest screen you can find, because there are so many things to see: the contrast of the rubble in the foreground with the beautiful city spread out around, the glimpse of the river and boats between buildings, the two stairways leading to emptiness in the ruins, the signs of life reclaiming the blasted space with the washing and potted plants and umbrella on the left and the stacks of beehives (I think) on the right, and finally the grafitti in the lower right reading "tu prije 617 dana," which Google translates from the Croatian as "there 617 days ago." That's a lot to get in one image.

20170601_113011-jpg.95730

And a Special Mention goes to rizole for patience, fortitude, and general foolhardiness in attempting to outwait a cat:

tmp_32632-20170625_172549-01332604617-jpeg.95549
Congrats all winners and applauses to participants :cool:

Yay! Thank you, Ted. My FIRST BW win! Actually you caught me by surprise. There are always so many good images and BW is not really my thang that I totally didn't expect it and I just LOVED JillyG's manip and gosh sinnerjohn's pic of Dubrovnik with the umbrella was so clever and ahhh, the kitty was just gorgeous! :) So thank you very muchly.

Back
Top Bottom