B&W RESULT:#32 Black & White Challenge

The Bridge of Sighs (Italian: Ponte dei Sospiri) is a bridge located in Venice, northern Italy. The enclosed bridge is made of white limestone, has windows with stone bars, and passes over the Rio di Palazzo and connects the New Prison (Prigioni Nuove) to the interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace.
(Wiki...)View attachment 96330
Is it just me or is that bridge just ready to eat boats?

Shot from the hip
Enlight
Enlight56.jpg

Okay. It's been a marvellous black and white week, but this challenge is closed. It's now up to rizole Rizole to choose the winners.:thumbs:

In reverse because at the time of writing I haven't made my mind up about the winner....
HM's to:
I keep coming back to sdimbour's Playing with posters. It's a good image in it's own right but every time I look at it my eyes are drawn to something that's not there. There's a presence in the negative space and because it's not explicit, my mind fills the space with a large, mechanical figure. Something like a Tansformer. o_O
shape.jpg

HM to Starzee with Out of the Wood. Delicate, beautiful and bang on focus.
HM to deepop for Shot from the hip. I think the angle makes this, a balanced, dynamic construction of triangles, rhomboids and strong lines.

In thrid place is sck with The coconut tree. Very moody. I can't quite get the scale of the thing. It looks small unless I look closer and then it looks vast.

In second...... iS tommy71k with The Bridge of Sighs. A winning picture, perfect framing, great subject, beautiful processing and the gondola is spot on. I would have given this first place as it's faultless but this week...

1st place goes to davegray's Wasn't originally a fan of selfies.
img_1464-jpg.96373

It would be quite a pedestrian picture without you in the foreground, still good, well framed, nice processing, strong lowlights, but your phizog makes it into something far more interesting, quirky. It looks like the picture has strong contrasts throughout but your face has much softer contrasts, almost as if you've photoshopped it in from a different shoot altogether.
Even the angle looks slightly off. If someone else had taken this your head would be framed from a lower perspective.
To my eye (and this is not meant as a criticism) there's something not quite right about the whole thing and that makes me want to come back and look at it repeatedly.
I've just read all that back and it doesn't sound very complimentary. It's a fab pic, I love it.

In reverse because at the time of writing I haven't made my mind up about the winner....
HM's to:
I keep coming back to sdimbour's Playing with posters. It's a good image in it's own right but every time I look at it my eyes are drawn to something that's not there. There's a presence in the negative space and because it's not explicit, my mind fills the space with a large, mechanical figure. Something like a Tansformer. o_O
View attachment 96505

HM to deepop for Shot from the hip. I think the angle makes this, a balanced, dynamic construction of triangles, rhomboids and strong lines.

In thrid place is sck with The coconut tree. Very moody. I can't quite get the scale of the thing. It looks small unless I look closer and then it looks vast.

In second...... iS tommy71k with The Bridge of Sighs. A winning picture, perfect framing, great subject, beautiful processing and the gondola is spot on. I would have given this first place as it's faultless but this week...

img_1464-jpg.96373

It would be quite a pedestrian picture without you in the foreground, still good, well framed, nice processing, strong lowlights, but your phizog makes it into something far more interesting, quirky. It looks like the picture has strong contrasts throughout but your face has much softer contrasts, almost as if you've photoshopped it in from a different shoot altogether.
Even the angle looks slightly off. If someone else had taken this your head would be framed from a lower perspective.
To my eye (and this is not meant as a criticism) there's something not quite right about the whole thing and that makes me want to come back and look at it repeatedly.
I've just read all that back and it doesn't sound very complimentary. It's a fab pic, I love it.
:lmao: Well done Rizole. Dave's image is a great one. Congrats to the Sondy and Tommy and the HMs, Sandra, Star and David. Wonderful images every one. :thumbs: I will now take Dave's image off to the Gallery.

HM's to:
View attachment 96505

img_1464-jpg.96373

Sat reading this whilst sailing along the Norfolk Broads.......wow thank you all for your kind remarks and Rizole for choosing mine amongst so many good B&W photos. I feel as if l've cheated my way to this accolade, as I previously explained how I hate selfies and just tried it his one to aleviate my dislike for them. However since putting up the photo on my 365 project and getting lots of useful critiques, I'll certainly try some more again, using those interesting tips given. Thanks again for the accolade.

HM's to:
View attachment 96505

img_1464-jpg.96373

Well done Dave, there are selfies and selfies and yours is a winner :thumbs: (you can call it an artistic self portrait if you like)

HM's to:
View attachment 96505

img_1464-jpg.96373

I too, was struck by some difference between Dave and the background -different contrasts as you point out, different textures - making it appear as if it were Photoshopped in (or Superimposed or Union-ized to keep it all mobile), the face a magnet always drawing ones eyes back. Startling!
Thanks for the HM, Congrats to all the winners and HMs.

Back
Top Bottom