B&W RESULT:#33 Black & White Challenge

So many good B&W entries i thought they all deserve a short critique.

I'll do them in the order that they appear.

Sinnerjohn's Lock-Clever title,good Bokeh, a simple but effective concept. You even got in a cobweb.

Jilly's Cloisters- Again clever title, i like the way all the portraits are in focus. A very thought provoking photo.

Tommy's Wife- Interesting angle,Perfect alignment of chair. Makes you think, what is she looking at on the phone!!

Sinnerjohn's
Models- Looks like a keep fit class. I like the reflections on the Mannequins. So many Parallel/Horizontal/Vertical lines makes it a powerful viewing.

Tommy's VW's- Good angle of view. I like the shadows of the bumpers of the cars. The front of a VW always makes me think of funny faces.

Groovy Gouvy's Museum Tour-
In the Clouds- Like the silhouette of the photographer. Lots of symmetry to the picture.
Art,Watcher and Beholder- Eyes follow the First Lady, past the 2nd lady towards first picture then the collage. Clever perspective.Lots of questions. What is the First Lady looking at? Why is the 2nd lady folding her arms.
Disbelieve-A thought provoking photo. What is the gentleman and lady thinking of the picture. Lovely composition.

Rosecat's Dead Dove- There's not a lot more i can add to this photo that you haven't explained in your own critique. Such clever use of light and dark. The sad face and the symmetry of its wings.

Rizole's Broadcast TV- So many lines of symmetry that you end up looking all over the photo. Love the pictures behind the window.

Sinnerjohn's RIP- It's not you Sinner-John is it ????? Great use of shapes and lines.

Tommy's Watching- Yet another thought provoking Photo. What are they looking at?? Like the floodlight image above the ladies head.

Tomklyn's Presidential- Great composition. So what's the story behind this photo??

Sdimbour's Metro-
Waiting- Good use of horizontal lines. Good composition of the 2 passengers. What is he texting ?
Massy Train Station- So many angles and lines. Love the arch effect. Sort of reminds me of the Sci Fi series in the 7o's "The Time Tunnel"

This brings me on to the winners:-

I'm finding it really difficult to separate 4 photos so I'm giving them all joint 3rd position.

Deepop's
Chairs- A most eery photo. Great depth to the picture. The shadows on the ground of the chair backs and the straight lines on the wall are clever.Photo asks me Where have all the customers gone??

MsDee's Tampa River Walk- Beautiful curves of the River and Landing stage(or whatever it is). Eyes follow through the arch and are directed towards the cyclist. Beautiful cloud formation.

Jan's Rutland Church- Even if Jan's the Missus, i couldn't let that deflect from the entry.A Great B&W landscape. Good cloud formation with church positioned centrally (against the rule of thirds) showing this can work, and being very effective. Lovely reflections and great symmetry in the church.

Terse's Monterey Bay- Some pictures look better in colour but this is definitely an example of a beauty B&W. There's so much interest to the photo. The cliffs and boulders, waves washing up on the shoreline, the copse of trees in the background.

That leaves just first and second. Photos are the polar opposites and it became difficult to separate them. However after a long perusal of them i eventually came across the following decision.

Second:-

Sinnerjohn's
Prim- Great title with very clever cropping. Look at the people in the queue. How long before the next bus? What is the lady in glasses asking the lady with the pram? Why is the man in the middle so miserable? Who is the lad on the left going to beat up??

First:-

Rizole's
Cyclists-I absolutely love this. The curves of the buildings and street, leading the eye to venture along the road towards the chimney. The obvious competitiveness of the cyclists with the third cyclist desperate to catch up the other two.The Jacket on the bench....Who's is it? Where has she/he gone? So many stories/Questions to answer. A superb Story photo and a thoroughly deserved winner af the B&W Challenge.

Congratulations to all entries and particularly the 6 winners with Rizole's fine Cyclist story just edging out Sinnerjohn's Prim.

Even if Jan's the Missus

Rizole's Cyclists-I absolutely love this. The curves of the buildings and street, leading the eye to venture along the road towards the chimney. The obvious competitiveness of the cyclists with the third cyclist desperate to catch up the other two.The Jacket on the bench....Who's is it? Where has she/he gone? So many stories/Questions to answer. A superb Story photo and a thoroughly deserved winner af the B&W Challenge.

Congratulations to all entries and particularly the 6 winners with Rizole's fine Cyclist story just edging out Sinnerjohn's Prim.
Thank you. :notworthy:
Even if Jan's the Missus
Ah that explains how you're both in the same part of the country :rolleyes: My sister has a smallholding overlooking Rutland Water. I love the rolling Leicester countryside so it's been a pleasure to dip into your project.

1. In the Clouds- Like the silhouette of the photographer. Lots of symmetry to the picture.
2. Art,Watcher and Beholder- Eyes follow the First Lady, past the 2nd lady towards first picture then the collage. Clever perspective.Lots of questions. What is the First Lady looking at? Why is the 2nd lady folding her arms.
3. Disbelieve-A thought provoking photo. What is the gentleman and lady thinking of the picture. Lovely composition.

Thanks for the great wrap up even with detailed critiques. [emoji106]

Congrats to the winners and HMers, you deserved it!

And to answer your questions/facts from above (I numbered them to make it easier):

1. That what made me taking the picture.
2. The answers are in the title (from left to right), you see the pictures hanging and know it's an exhibition, the watcher (wasn't able to put watch dog in, just had the wrong rhythm in speech) is bored because all the people behave and she has nothing to do, the beholder is looking at the exhibited pictures or is on the way out.
3. Totally agree, especially because the man held this pose for a good while. [emoji4]

Sorry I'm a bit late to the congratulatory party - bbq and bouncy castle at my mum's care home this afternoon. And do you know what? They wouldn't let any of the old 'uns on the bouncy castle.:lmao:

Anyway, firstly well done to davegray Dave for an excellent round-up and judging. It was your first time, I think Dave, and you did an excellent job. Well done Rizole and John and all the HMs. And to think that Rizole agonised about this image! I will now carry aforesaid image off to the B&W Gallery (soon to be renamed The Rizole Gallery :rolleyes:).

Sorry I'm a bit late to the congratulatory party - bbq and bouncy castle at my mum's care home this afternoon. And do you know what? They wouldn't let any of the old 'uns on the bouncy castle.:lmao:

Anyway, firstly well done to davegray Dave for an excellent round-up and judging. It was your first time, I think Dave, and you did an excellent job. Well done Rizole and John and all the HMs. And to think that Rizole agonised about this image! I will now carry aforesaid image off to the B&W Gallery (soon to be renamed The Rizole Gallery :rolleyes:).

In the summary I could see only the first two lines and I thought that's pretty cool to put up a bouncing castle for the elderlies. Then I found a big disappointment when I read they weren't allowed there at all.
As I always say: Why do always just the children have the good stuff!?
Why decline permission to bouncing caste?! That is unfair! At least they pay their share! [emoji34] wham can they do wrong that children don't? They will take their shoes off and bounce. This makes me really angry. [emoji53]

Sinnerjohn's Lock-Clever title,good Bokeh, a simple but effective concept. You even got in a cobweb.

Jilly's Cloisters- Again clever title, i like the way all the portraits are in focus. A very thought provoking photo.

Tommy's Wife- Interesting angle,Perfect alignment of chair. Makes you think, what is she looking at on the phone!!

Sinnerjohn's
Models- Looks like a keep fit class. I like the reflections on the Mannequins. So many Parallel/Horizontal/Vertical lines makes it a powerful viewing.

Tommy's VW's- Good angle of view. I like the shadows of the bumpers of the cars. The front of a VW always makes me think of funny faces.

In the Clouds- Like the silhouette of the photographer. Lots of symmetry to the picture.
Art,Watcher and Beholder- Eyes follow the First Lady, past the 2nd lady towards first picture then the collage. Clever perspective.Lots of questions. What is the First Lady looking at? Why is the 2nd lady folding her arms.
Disbelieve-A thought provoking photo. What is the gentleman and lady thinking of the picture. Lovely composition.

Rosecat's Dead Dove- There's not a lot more i can add to this photo that you haven't explained in your own critique. Such clever use of light and dark. The sad face and the symmetry of its wings.

Rizole's Broadcast TV- So many lines of symmetry that you end up looking all over the photo. Love the pictures behind the window.

Sinnerjohn's RIP- It's not you Sinner-John is it ????? Great use of shapes and lines.

Tommy's Watching- Yet another thought provoking Photo. What are they looking at?? Like the floodlight image above the ladies head.

Tomklyn's Presidential- Great composition. So what's the story behind this photo??

Sdimbour's Metro-
Waiting- Good use of horizontal lines. Good composition of the 2 passengers. What is he texting ?
Massy Train Station- So many angles and lines. Love the arch effect. Sort of reminds me of the Sci Fi series in the 7o's "The Time Tunnel"

This brings me on to the winners:-

I'm finding it really difficult to separate 4 photos so I'm giving them all joint 3rd position.

Deepop's
Chairs- A most eery photo. Great depth to the picture. The shadows on the ground of the chair backs and the straight lines on the wall are clever.Photo asks me Where have all the customers gone??

MsDee's Tampa River Walk- Beautiful curves of the River and Landing stage(or whatever it is). Eyes follow through the arch and are directed towards the cyclist. Beautiful cloud formation.

Jan's Rutland Church- Even if Jan's the Missus, i couldn't let that deflect from the entry.A Great B&W landscape. Good cloud formation with church positioned centrally (against the rule of thirds) showing this can work, and being very effective. Lovely reflections and great symmetry in the church.

Terse's Monterey Bay- Some pictures look better in colour but this is definitely an example of a beauty B&W. There's so much interest to the photo. The cliffs and boulders, waves washing up on the shoreline, the copse of trees in the background.

That leaves just first and second. Photos are the polar opposites and it became difficult to separate them. However after a long perusal of them i eventually came across the following decision.

Second:-

Sinnerjohn's
Prim- Great title with very clever cropping. Look at the people in the queue. How long before the next bus? What is the lady in glasses asking the lady with the pram? Why is the man in the middle so miserable? Who is the lad on the left going to beat up??

First:-

Rizole's
Cyclists-I absolutely love this. The curves of the buildings and street, leading the eye to venture along the road towards the chimney. The obvious competitiveness of the cyclists with the third cyclist desperate to catch up the other two.The Jacket on the bench....Who's is it? Where has she/he gone? So many stories/Questions to answer. A superb Story photo and a thoroughly deserved winner af the B&W Challenge.

Thanks so much for takingthe time to share your thoughts about each photo, Dave - above and beyond the call...Congratulations to Rizole,John, and all the HMs. Thanks for a place in the 3rd position.

Back
Top Bottom