B&W RESULT:#33 Black & White Challenge

JillyG encouraged me to post this photo here. Oddly, perhaps, it's a favorite of mine. A mourning dove my Miss Missy had killed and left in the garden. What I love about it is a mixture of things - my Miss, the bird, the light, her beautiful face still visible.... Life. Death. Impermanence.

View attachment 96694 Pretty sure this is a Hipstamatic combo.... I think BlacKeys B&W + Loftus? There's another lens that gives a blur too.... (?)

It's great, Catherine. And it's sharpness is also incredible! Sad but beautiful. [emoji106]

Last edited by a moderator:
JillyG encouraged me to post this photo here. Oddly, perhaps, it's a favorite of mine. A mourning dove my Miss Missy had killed and left in the garden. What I love about it is a mixture of things - my Miss, the bird, the light, her beautiful face still visible.... Life. Death. Impermanence.

View attachment 96694 Pretty sure this is a Hipstamatic combo.... I think BlacKeys B&W + Loftus? There's another lens that gives a blur too.... (?)
Fab. The shadows just take the edge off the dead bird and add to the image.:inlove:

IMG_0623.JPG

Normanton Church on the edge of Rutland Water. This was part of the village of Normanton that was lost when the reservoir was built. Many of the buildings are still under the water but the church was saved and rebuilt on the edge of the reservoir to be a reminder of what is hidden underneath. It is a lovely gothic building, but every time I visit it I always think it is feels sad to think that this is all that is left of what was obviously a beautiful rural village.

View attachment 96708
Normanton Church on the edge of Rutland Water. This was part of the village of Normanton that was lost when the reservoir was built. Many of the buildings are still under the water but the church was saved and rebuilt on the edge of the reservoir to be a reminder of what is hidden underneath. It is a lovely gothic building, but every time I visit it I always think it is feels sad to think that this is all that is left of what was obviously a beautiful rural village.
Yay, you did it! This is a stunning image Jan and a great edit. :D

The Fallen

View attachment 96516
This was a very sad find in The Cloisters at Oundle School. This is just part of a wall of many photographs of young men who had attended Oundle School, but who died in the First World War. Much more poignant than seeing names on a list.
Snapseed
Great image. They had something like this at the interrogation building with regard to the killing fields in Myanmar and I still see the images of the people in my mind.

This one is doing my head in. I can't frame it right. I love the sweep of the buildings off to the right but there's a lamppost at the far right that spoils the pic. I can mostly cut that out by coming forward but then I lose the bench at the front. Doesn't really matter on this pic because no one's sitting on it but when they do I have to pull back and the lamppost gets in the way.
On top of all that I keep cutting the chimney off. Frustrating. I may be coming back to this scene for years before I'm happy.
View attachment 96530
This image is so strong but I actually think the bench detracts from the riders. It pulls my eye away from them. Such a shame because the sweep of the riders is just fab.

View attachment 96708
What an interesting story and great pic.

Another great week for black and white images, but all good things must come to an end. This challenge is closed. davegray Dave, it's your mission (and you don't get a choice about accepting it :D) to choose the winners. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom