B&W RESULT:#90 Black & White Challenge

Several weeks ago I got a spotting scope and an iPhone adapter for photos. I haven’t been very happy with resulting photos so far, until i decided to try out Hipstamatic. It was just a random setting, but I kind of like the sketchy look to it. I’m not sure if attaching the iPhone to a scope is allowed at Mobitog, if not, please disregard.

Sticks
Hipstamatic, Snapseed
View attachment 113157
Wow!!! This is gorgeous! I love the filter too.

Using the scope is fine.... we use different macro lenses, etc, so I don’t see any difference.

And why wouldn’t it be allowed? I had similar feelings about the image quality I got using my iphone with binoculars or with a telephoto lens and spotting scope adapter. A lot of light is lost through a scope in this process, the equivalent of shooting at f11 or smaller, so the brighter the light at the time the better your results. I also suspect that the viewing resolution through binoculars or a scope is not as high as through a telephoto lens for a dslr camera. Try a camera app that uses RAW format to avoid jpeg compression artifacts and avoid ISO settings above 64 to avoid image noise. I think I had my best results with Prime - the focus peaking helps to fine tune the focus. Getting your iPhone precisely aligned with the eyepiece makes a big difference, too. Also try excluding any stray light getting in between the iPhone and the scope.
Ive had the best results with Camera+ 2. I just double checked and I had it set to Tiff and Raw combined? I reset to save separately. I also have been doing the post prosessing in Snapseed. Perhaps Ill have better results in something like Lightroom Mobile? Ive sort of lost touch with the raw format with mobile photography. The adapter works well for preventing light leaks but the alignement is challenging. DH just received his new scope in the mail, over the weekend. His has less magnification and I’m wondering if I may have more success with that. Of course, that allows less light. It is going to require more experimentation. All advice welcome!

BWPhoto_20180819_170834.jpg

scenic - darkroom app

Ive had the best results with Camera+ 2. I just double checked and I had it set to Tiff and Raw combined? I reset to save separately. I also have been doing the post prosessing in Snapseed. Perhaps Ill have better results in something like Lightroom Mobile? Ive sort of lost touch with the raw format with mobile photography. The adapter works well for preventing light leaks but the alignement is challenging. DH just received his new scope in the mail, over the weekend. His has less magnification and I’m wondering if I may have more success with that. Of course, that allows less light. It is going to require more experimentation. All advice welcome!
According to the book Ultimate iPhone DNG there is little advantage saving to Tiff over JPEG since they both are the same right up to the save point. In other words Tiff gets the same heavy handed processing that JPEG does. One of the main advantages of DNG is that it circumvents the heavy handed processing and you save the RAW sensor data before any iOS processing has been done to it. You just want to make sure when developing your image that it isn’t the tiff being developed instead of the DNG. If you have Affinity give it a try for your DNG images.

According to the book Ultimate iPhone DNG there is little advantage saving to Tiff over JPEG since they both are the same right up to the save point. In other words Tiff gets the same heavy handed processing that JPEG does. One of the main advantages of DNG is that it circumvents the heavy handed processing and you save the RAW sensor data before any iOS processing has been done to it. You just want to make sure when developing your image that it isn’t the tiff being developed instead of the DNG. If you have Affinity give it a try for your DNG images.
I see that I have Pure, a camera app that shoots RAW. I’ll try that out, but it seems to only shoot in landscape and I’m having diffuculty setting the adapter up that way. I do have Affinity. I have a love/hate relationship with it.:)

The week features my little ray of sunshine again!
F47F090C-76BA-46FE-9339-8C4ECE997404.jpeg

Edited in Snapseed.

I took my little ones to the splash pads, and ended up with this little gem!

I apologize if I am slow with responding, or not responding at all. School started this week for both me and my kids, plus a full time job, so I am pretty wiped lol.

View attachment 113162

Edited in Snapseed.

I apologize if I am slow with responding, or not responding at all. School started this week for both me and my kids, plus a full time job, so I am pretty wiped lol.
Good portrait on the fly.:)

View attachment 113162

Edited in Snapseed.

What a gorgeous image!! :inlove: And no need to apologize.... life happens. Always appreciate seeing you and your images whenever you’re able to pop in. :)

I see that I have Pure, a camera app that shoots RAW. I’ll try that out, but it seems to only shoot in landscape and I’m having diffuculty setting the adapter up that way. I do have Affinity. I have a love/hate relationship with it.:)
I use PureShot, perhaps just called Pure now, all the time and the interface does indeed rotate unless you have the orientation locked in the settings

View attachment 113162

Edited in Snapseed.

What a great portrait. Gorgeous. And a wonderful composition too. It’s good that you even think of us at this busy time, so don’t apologise. Hopefully, things will settle down soon.

I use PureShot, perhaps just called Pure now, all the time and the interface does indeed rotate unless you have the orientation locked in the settings
I will check. Thanks!

Edit: The image viewer changes, I had expected the entire interface to change. There probably wouldn’t be enough room if it did. I also see now, where I can hide the interface. I obviously need to practice with this.

Last edited:
View attachment 113162

Edited in Snapseed.

That’s cheating, Mary — ‘unfair advantage’ :)

That's my team of sherpas. I need that many just to carry my supply of merlot. The coffee team is coming up behind, that's a balanced diet right there so I've not bothered with food team.
I’m with you there. And who needs oxygen when you’ve got caffeine and alcohol.:mobibabe:

Back
Top Bottom