MobiColour RESULT: MC #130 No Theme - July 23-29, 2018

Scurvier, I think.

Scurvier? Competitive vitamin C deficiency?

Why not? If there can be a scurvy dog, then there must be a scurvier dog somewhere.

Scurvy: It's not straight.

Maybe we're on the wrong track, though. It might not be scurvy at all but

cursiveer (var. cursivere) vb., intr.
1. To continue cursing at length
2. To curse when swerving to avoid an obstacle

:rolleyes: :alien: :mobibabe:

Fruitloops

:rolleyes: :alien: :mobibabe:

Fruitloops
No he might be on to something here.
Let me try again....
Cursiveer.
20180728_144328-01.jpeg

Those waterlily leaves almost look like four leaf clovers... :inlove:
I believe the larger leaves are Water Pennywort (parsley family) Hydrocotyla Americana, they rise above the water surface while water lilies and lily pads float on the surface. The smaller floating plant is Ivy Duckweed, Lemna trisculca. I haven’t seen either of these plants this far north.

Just to post something, because I haven’t for ages (or so it seems - y’all seem to be struggling along somehow without my input)

F242F949-DCF0-49D6-8B89-CE533C38D0C1.png

This is a pretty solar light hanging thingie, which collects sunlight over the day and then spins around slowly, changing colours, at night. Cutting edge technology, cost $12 at a market years ago and still works.

Anyway it caught my eye bcs the night was so black, and the light was so glowingly pretty, and a distant streetlight caught there like a star .... and I got all excited about a beautiful night time image. For about ten minutes and twenty odd photos of poor focus and ambivalent lighting. . And then half an hour overdoing everything in every app I have. Sigh. So I just painted it. Becasso wouldn’t open :eek: so Brushstroke and Clever Painter (which isn’t that clever, if you ask me).

Here’s the original (green) and Snapseeded B&W if anyone feels to give me a few pointers ? :notworthy: :mobibabe: :D

View attachment 112351
Yes, I can see the difficulty in photographing this. Since it rotates with its own motor that would make long exposures blurred. The curved metal blades reflect the green light and that is a significant part of the “look" but an exposure that would be good for the reflection would cause the glass sphere to be overexposed. You really need two different exposures, one to record the reflection and one for the sphere itself, and later combined. HDR would be the easiest way to encompass the extreme range of exposure, but the rotation movement might make the individual HDR exposures out of register. An HDR app that allows you to set the exposure range would be best - Fusion HDR, or PureShot and then processed in Fusion. It is the motorized rotation that makes it difficult. I wonder if the rotation can be shut off?
Another idea I have used to photograph a lighthouse at dusk on film where I wanted a long enough exposure to record the scene but not to overexpose the light itself - I "dodged" the bright area with a small piece of cardboard held a few inches in front of the lens during part of the exposure. A round piece of cardboard taped to a stiff wire would work in your solar light situation. How long to hold it in place would take some experimenting. About 2/3 of the total exposure I would guess. This would only work with a long exposure.
I can also see some potential for recording the streaking motion of the rotating reflections. An app like NightCap Pro or SlowShutter camera would be good for this. Their unique property is localized exposure cut-off of bright areas while darker areas continue to build up. Either long exposure mode or light trails mode would be interesting. This would be a tripod job.

Here’s the original (green) and Snapseeded B&W if anyone feels to give me a few pointers ?
What Brian said. It's a very tough shot. One possible solution would be to go back and shoot it in the daytime and then give it a day-for-night treatment, using your night shot as a model (or possibly layering and masking the two together).

Oh my goodness!! Sooooo many amazing images. How can I choose one over another? But choose I must. In the end, it came down to four and so there’s one first and three seconds.

In first place is Jef Jef with his untitled flower and fly. I have never mastered the art of photographing into full sun, but Jef’s image is so beautifully exposed and that little fly is just the cherry on top of a fabulous cake. I loved it when I first saw it and I still do every time I look at it. Well done Jef on your first Mobitog win.:thumbs:

8C31D1DC-D9F0-4D2A-888B-0D128C02A6E5.jpeg

The very (very) close seconds are GroovyGouvy Gouvy with Comical Reality - what a perfect edit that is; FundyBrian Brian with his Classic Ford 1949 - another great piece of editing where you have to look hard to see that it’s not a straight photo. And then rizole Rizole with On The Rocks Too - the fab sky, the sun, those two empty chairs inviting us to sit. Wonderful.

Everyone else can consider themselves as HMs or third, because I did admire every image posted. I loved the mad chat too and the way that zenjenny Jen starts it and then calls everyone who runs with it fruitloops. Hilarious. It was a fun week for me anyway.

Last edited:
Oh my goodness!! Sooooo many amazing images. How can I choose one over another? But choose I must. In the end, it came down to four and so there’s one first and three seconds.

In first place is Jef Jef with his untitled flower and fly. I have never mastered the art of photographing into full sun, but Jef’s image is so beautifully exposed and that little fly is just the cherry on top of a fabulous cake. I loved it when I first saw it and I still do every time I look at it. Well done Jef on your first Mobitog win.:thumbs:

View attachment 112362

The very (very) close seconds are GroovyGouvy Gouvy with Comical Reality - what a perfect edit that is; FundyBrian Brian with his Classic Ford 1949 - another great piece of editing where you have to look hard to see that it’s not a straight photo. And then rizole Rizole with On The Rocks Too - the fab sky, the sun, those two empty chairs inviting us to sit. Wonderful.

Everyone else can consider themselves as HMs or third, because I did admire every image posted. I loved the mad chat too and the way that zenjenny Jen starts it and then calls everyone who runs with it fruitloops. Hilarious. It was a fun week for me anyway.
Congrats to Jef for his most excellent photo taking first place. I’m feeling in pretty good company to share 2nd with GroovyGouvy & rizole. Another great challenge week on MobiTog. Well done to everyone who participated. We all gain a lot by taking part in these challenges.

Yes, I can see the difficulty in photographing this. Since it rotates with its own motor that would make long exposures blurred. The curved metal blades reflect the green light and that is a significant part of the “look" but an exposure that would be good for the reflection would cause the glass sphere to be overexposed. You really need two different exposures, one to record the reflection and one for the sphere itself, and later combined. HDR would be the easiest way to encompass the extreme range of exposure, but the rotation movement might make the individual HDR exposures out of register. An HDR app that allows you to set the exposure range would be best - Fusion HDR, or PureShot and then processed in Fusion. It is the motorized rotation that makes it difficult. I wonder if the rotation can be shut off?
Another idea I have used to photograph a lighthouse at dusk on film where I wanted a long enough exposure to record the scene but not to overexpose the light itself - I "dodged" the bright area with a small piece of cardboard held a few inches in front of the lens during part of the exposure. A round piece of cardboard taped to a stiff wire would work in your solar light situation. How long to hold it in place would take some experimenting. About 2/3 of the total exposure I would guess. This would only work with a long exposure.
I can also see some potential for recording the streaking motion of the rotating reflections. An app like NightCap Pro or SlowShutter camera would be good for this. Their unique property is localized exposure cut-off of bright areas while darker areas continue to build up. Either long exposure mode or light trails mode would be interesting. This would be a tripod job.
I find the limited focal range of my phone a bit of an irritation so I've found a camera that can do focus bracketing. It can also do exposure bracketing ftw. It's HedgeCam2 should the very many android users here :rolleyes: be interested.
Now I just need an app that can stack 'em.

View attachment 112362

Good choices, Jilly, and congrats to newcomer Jef :thumbs:. Theme or no theme for the coming week?

Back
Top Bottom