MobiColour RESULT: MC #31 Theme: Flying - August 29-Sept 4

image.jpeg
Snapseed
Enlight

Flying Glass.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1472950716.891722.jpg

This turned out to be much harder that I expected on the iPhone. It's much easier on a DSLR. Assuming you already have a sound sync and sync delay trigger. TriggerTrap works pretty well. You have to do all this in the dark. You also need a camera with exposure lock that stays locked and doesn't keep resetting. Each broken lightbulb means a lot of cleanup so you don't want to waste any shots.
I use TriggerTrap on my old iPod 4 to manage the flash triggering. In the TriggerTrap settings you need to add some delay time on the trigger to allow the glass to fly a bit before triggering the flash. Otherwise you just get the very early cracks with the hammer first hitting the bulb. Then I needed a camera app on my iPhone 6 that gives a good 1 second exposure without shooting multiple shots and adding them up. It usually happens that you don't get a complete image with the multiple shots since the flash duration is so short. I used Camera +, 1second at ISO 16, exposure locked in advance. Flash set at 1/128 power on manual mode, plus a 2 stop ND filter on the flash to prevent overexposing. Basically, you need to trip the shutter and then, in the dark, smash the lightbulb before the end of the 1 second exposure. Some finishing work in Enlight.
Then some sweeping and vacuuming.
Note: make sure you never do this with coiled fluorescent bulbs. Breaking them releases Mercury into the environment.

Last edited:
Bug taking off. I just remembered this one.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1472951941.239055.jpg

Weirdly fragmented takeoff due to some sort of scanning shutter effect.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1472952025.033517.jpg

Here is the same bug just a second before takeoff.
I'm remembering now... This was photographed with Fusion, which is an HDR app that makes 3 exposures very rapidly. The bottom photo is a regular HDR but the upper one is just one of the 3 brackets because each frame had a different part of the takeoff and it didn't go to HDR well so I just used one frame.

Last edited:
TaDaa!! Color MC#31 - Theme: Flying.
ImageArt1.jpg

When I picked the theme "Flying" I had vague mental image of a past challenge, "Winged", in which people posted all sorts of fantastical creations. In actual fact, portraying "Flying" in an active sense is a real challenge. For one thing, the iPhone camera tends to use a very high shutter speed so even things that really are flying don't show any motion blur and look static. The slow shutter effects on the iphone are really a series of fast shutter shots blended together so they tend to have sort of a grainy "stutter" effect rather than smooth motion blur.

In my selection I gave highest attention to photos that really conveyed a sense of flying, the motion, the freedom of the air, and I was really hoping for a hint of motion blur. We had no humming birds, no dragonflies, no water being launched into the air from a pail, no kids being tossed into the air, no jumping motorcycles, no skateboarders in the air, no ski jumpers, and, can you image, not a single person fastened their iPhone onto an eagle or falcon to get some pictures streaking throughout the air. However, we did have some very creative entries.
-----------------------------

Special Recognitions:

Starzee's photo of the fairground ride is the best example of making something earthbound look like it was flying.
Starzee1.jpg

RoseCat's airplane wing with motion blur added is the best example of simulating motion blur through editing.
RoseCat1.jpg

MotownLarry's jets-in-formation photo is a beautifully composed stop-action shot, the smoke trails providing the sense of direction.
MoTownLarry1.jpg

GroovyGouvy's "Butterfly" deserves some recognition for humour. The triple image is well executed and conveys the idea very well but a little motion blur would have been a good addition.
image.jpeg

The Winners!

3rd place goes to terse for his photo of the seal, an earth-bound creature, making a flight-worthy leap.
terse1.jpg

2nd place goes to Kmenglee for his photo of the wasp caught at the moment of flying off from the flower. The stop-action of the wasp is good and yet the motion blur of the wings conveys that extra sense of motion. I bet Kmenglee has lots of patience.
Kmenglee2.jpg

First place goes to ImageArt - Ann for her drawing/painting of the egret taking off. The triple view, like a high-speed shutter montage gives us 3 phases of the takeoff, running to build up speed, the leap into the air, the first airborne wing beats. A beautiful piece of work.
ImageArt1.jpg

Well done everyone!

Back
Top Bottom