MobiColour RESULT: MC #79 Theme DETAIL - July 31-Aug 6

This week's thread yielded detail on a number of levels. Argyle socks (of course), walnuts, audiobooks, Scandinavian noir, the frequency, pitch & tone of midges' wings (and the pros & cons of midi), previously unknown insects. We discovered details about Christer's wild & misspent youth, David's penchant for selfies in art gallery doorknobs, Gennifer's hankering to live in an alley with rizole's football & green bucket, and everyone's agreement that Gouvy should enter her fabulous 'Columns' image in a comp. And more -- but I fear if I start on the inglenooks I shall rapidly lose all sense & reason.

Then there were the images. Details of, paying attention to, hidden detail, lost detail, magnified detail, colourful detail, poignant detail, wrought iron detail . . .

First: I stopped on rizole's 'Witness' image (one of the first posts) and thought it had everything: I could write a paper on everything that works so well for me in this image - and probably did, in the comments. His 'Numerical Detail' made me think twice because of the levels and types of detail it offers (nottomention the conversation that arose around it o_O) . . . But for me it's hands down rizole's 'Witness'

IMG_6814.JPG

Second: PicsbyJCG's 'Retro' vignette of Swedish 70/80's - again, many levels of detail. That godawful wallpaper, the iconic radio, the . . . I guess the visual 'ambiance', and Christer's vivid word-picture (I keep forgetting English is a 2nd language for you, Christer :notworthy:) which started another thread of conversation.

IMG_6818.JPG

Third: terse, or I should say 'Ted & Lorraine' - a different kind of detail again. A detail of a corkboard of images, mementos, cartoons and whoknowswhat that invites us into their home, their lives & their history for a moment. I wanted to ask about every single piece on that board. Why that cartoon? What is the Russian thing? Who is the beautiful young woman in the photo? And of course we were all entranced by the story of a very young Lorraine and chickens [and other things that shall not be named]

IMG_6817.JPG

HMs: Mingmarlama (that water) and JillyG (that dragonfly)

IMG_6819.JPG

IMG_6820.JPG

I wanted to ask about every single piece on that board. Why that cartoon? What is the Russian thing? Who is the beautiful young woman in the photo?
I live to serve:

The cartoon is one of my faves, a metaphor with wide application. The full strip is here: http://rhymeswithorange.com/comics/march-2-2009/ The round embroidered patch is (allegedly) for a Soviet space rocket tracking center. The cross-shaped medal is (allegedly) for Chernobyl cleanup workers. (The design is rather grim -- a drop of blood crossed by beta and gamma rays.) The young woman is our virtual foster daughter on her first day back at university after a year's leave. Korenwolf is Dutch (I think) for "hamster," so the label is for Hamster Beer. The guy in the red coat is Krosp, Emperor of All Cats.

When I had the double win a few weeks ago, I truly agonized over judging both at the same time. But I'm sure rizole, being the master he is, will have no problem.:cool:

I hope not. With great power comes great responsibility. I expect rizole will have the good manners and sense of occasion to show a bit of a furrowed brow -- a barely-detectable stoop the only indicator of the heavy weight he carries. . . .

This week's thread yielded detail on a number of levels. Argyle socks (of course), walnuts, audiobooks, Scandinavian noir, the frequency, pitch & tone of midges' wings (and the pros & cons of midi), previously unknown insects. We discovered details about Christer's wild & misspent youth, David's penchant for selfies in art gallery doorknobs, Gennifer's hankering to live in an alley with rizole's football & green bucket, and everyone's agreement that Gouvy should enter her fabulous 'Columns' image in a comp. And more -- but I fear if I start on the inglenooks I shall rapidly lose all sense & reason.

Then there were the images. Details of, paying attention to, hidden detail, lost detail, magnified detail, colourful detail, poignant detail, wrought iron detail . . .

First: I stopped on rizole's 'Witness' image (one of the first posts) and thought it had everything: I could write a paper on everything that works so well for me in this image - and probably did, in the comments. His 'Numerical Detail' made me think twice because of the levels and types of detail it offers (nottomention the conversation that arose around it o_O) . . . But for me it's hands down rizole's 'Witness'

View attachment 97411

Second: PicsbyJCG's 'Retro' vignette of Swedish 70/80's - again, many levels of detail. That godawful wallpaper, the iconic radio, the . . . I guess the visual 'ambiance', and Christer's vivid word-picture (I keep forgetting English is a 2nd language for you, Christer :notworthy:) which started another thread of conversation.

View attachment 97414

Third: terse, or I should say 'Ted & Lorraine' - a different kind of detail again. A detail of a corkboard of images, mementos, cartoons and whoknowswhat that invites us into their home, their lives & their history for a moment. I wanted to ask about every single piece on that board. Why that cartoon? What is the Russian thing? Who is the beautiful young woman in the photo? And of course we were all entranced by the story of a very young Lorraine and chickens [and other things that shall not be named]

View attachment 97416

View attachment 97419

View attachment 97420

Oh my. Didn't see that one coming. Thank you and big GZ to all. :notworthy:

And here I was hissing at my cell phone because it pestered me with silly "notifications" while I was busy setting up a new blog page and discussing it with a select few over Fb Messenger...

There's still a few pics left, unseen by the world, from that "secret room" at the exhibition... maybe I'll post a few more here somewhere... :rolleyes:

I live to serve:

The cartoon is one of my faves, a metaphor with wide application. The full strip is here: http://rhymeswithorange.com/comics/march-2-2009/ The round embroidered patch is (allegedly) for a Soviet space rocket tracking center. The cross-shaped medal is (allegedly) for Chernobyl cleanup workers. (The design is rather grim -- a drop of blood crossed by beta and gamma rays.) The young woman is our virtual foster daughter on her first day back at university after a year's leave. Korenwolf is Dutch (I think) for "hamster," so the label is for Hamster Beer. The guy in the red coat is Krosp, Emperor of All Cats.
Love that cartoon.

When I had the double win a few weeks ago, I truly agonized over judging both at the same time. But I'm sure rizole, being the master he is, will have no problem.:cool:
I hope not. With great power comes great responsibility. I expect rizole will have the good manners and sense of occasion to show a bit of a furrowed brow -- a barely-detectable stoop the only indicator of the heavy weight he carries. . . .
I'm already practising my "solemn duty" face, writing the first draft of my speech and browsing online tuxedo rental outlets.

I live to serve:

:notworthy:

I'm already practising my "solemn duty" face, writing the first draft of my speech and browsing online tuxedo rental outlets.

You'll never get a limo in here, no way.

With the depth of sober, thoughtful and possibly even brooding reflection I'll need for next week I was hoping the Mobicolour thread would spring for a helicopter to bring me in. :appsir:

Omg brooding reflection... I'll talk to the boss about that helicopter.
:lol: Love our crazy crew of fruit loops. :inlove:

View attachment 97411

View attachment 97414

View attachment 97416

View attachment 97419

View attachment 97420

What a week for the MCC. Lots of back-slapping for Rizole who got the double. I love that image and find something new every time I look at it. That little poster in the bottom of the window which says "LOOK get your property seen by the right people" is just hilarious for so many reasons. Not to mention the shoe (been there, done that!). Well done to Christer and Ted - two f a b (spelled out as they did in the 70s) images - sort of similar, but different if you know what I mean.:confused: Pema's waterfall was just great and thank you for my HM.:D

View attachment 97411

View attachment 97414

View attachment 97416

View attachment 97419

View attachment 97420

Great choices, zenjenny.
Congratulations to the usual winners rizole, PicsbyJCG and terse. Hooray for the HMers Mingmarlama and JillyG. [emoji322][emoji324]

Regarding my columns: I've entered this comp and didn't get an HM. [emoji23][emoji23] so doubt it will be any different elsewhere. [emoji23][emoji23]

terse: the cartoon was worth posting in full. It made my day.

Thanks Jen and RoseCat for the extra link, will follow straight away. [emoji106][emoji4]

And rizole, people is good, I think I can deliver on this. [emoji106][emoji4]

Back
Top Bottom