Sign Spotting

This could be a great project to restore it into a house bus, leaving some of those great bits of character. :inlove:

Lots of old busses languishing in country lots. Once planned to be campers no doubt. Also regular city busses which are a bit fancier. They can be bought at a good price when they require some work to keep them fit for public transit. They make a journey to their new home awaiting conversion to a motor home. But if the project gets delayed too long the moving parts soon seize up and the bus has reached its final resting place. I think this is a very common story.

CD1FAFF8-35DF-4B39-BA7E-E82FEB0D1A95.jpeg

Shot through a dirty windshield

:lmao: Who named a street that?
Slack top is a few hundred yards up the road.
There's a lot of tops and bottoms around here. Yorkshire place names can be quite bluntly literal sometimes. My guess is they called this place slack because it's the only flat place between two steep inclines. If you're on foot lugging coal bags up a hill with a horse drawn cart you'd want a break half way to slack off a bit.

Slack top is a few hundred yards up the road.
There's a lot of tops and bottoms around here. Yorkshire place names can be quite bluntly literal sometimes. My guess is they called this place slack because it's the only flat place between two steep inclines. If you're on foot lugging coal bags up a hill with a horse drawn cart you'd want a break half way to slack off a bit.
Coal is also Slack though isn't it, so it could be the bottom of the Slack........or something :confused:

Coal is also Slack though isn't it, so it could be the bottom of the Slack........or something :confused:
Yes it is and there was a lot of industry here during the revolution. The bottom bit is literally the lowest point though. There's a slack top as well which is...... er, higher up than the bottom.
I checked a dictionary. Slack is also middle English for a small dell or hollow or a bog and this place fits that description. Knowing the straight forward thinking of the Yorkshire mind I now think Slack Bottom translates to "the lower end of that manky bit o wet mud yer wheels'll get stuck in if you stop too long. Best keep moving lad, there's strange folk mek it tha' homes. 'S'only fit fer pigs."

Yes it is and there was a lot of industry here during the revolution. The bottom bit is literally the lowest point though. There's a slack top as well which is...... er, higher up than the bottom.
I checked a dictionary. Slack is also middle English for a small dell or hollow or a bog and this place fits that description. Knowing the straight forward thinking of the Yorkshire mind I now think Slack Bottom translates to "the lower end of that manky bit o wet mud yer wheels'll get stuck in if you stop too long. Best keep moving lad, there's strange folk mek it tha' homes. 'S'only fit fer pigs."
:D I. Love. It.

Back
Top Bottom