Sunset 14th and 16th May

Tonight's. Hot here at +35 or so and around 95% humidity so very muggy. Very cool clouds tonight.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371615137.649725.jpg

Lomora Pro, Redscale

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371615186.262105.jpg

Lo-Mob. My wife made the comment that I should loan her the motorhome and she would get rid of that pesky light standard :) I took the easy route and used Handy Photo :)

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371615325.292877.jpg

Alt-Photo

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371615352.304436.jpg

Hipstamatic, Tejas + Kodot Xgrizzled, Jolly Rainbo @1/2
Also removed that pesky light standard :) via Handy Photo

Well motorhome is back running and Karen's little wheelchair is running again.

Motorhome has a new starter and I went to a speed shop and bought a starter wrap, basically a fabric that can take very high heat and not burn or melt, has a shiny metallic side to help reflect heat. Steven figures it will work good so maybe a starter will last longer then 6 months now... Problem when engineers design things and run really hot exhaust pipes less that an inch away from the starter solenoid...

Karen's wheelchair needed new batteries the old ones that had been installed before we got it were the wrong type of battery and voltage in one was 4v and the other 3v, charger needs around 20v before it will even start charging. Both batteries are 12v but run in series so it puts out 24v. Got new batteries and it would power on but lights on controls would just flash. Though maybe batteries were low so put it on the charger, once it said it was charged I tried again but still the same thing.... Then it dawned on me that I had disengaged to motors so I could push it around easier... Engaged the motors and everything works like it should :)

Still debating on going to Calgary and Three Hills, we have to be back to a place south of Saskatoon (still at least a couple hour drive north of home) for a wedding, or maybe I'll forego Calgary and Three Hills and see everyone in the fall and just drive up for the wedding.

Glad to hear everything is back in good working order!! Lovely images, by the way. :)

Lovely shots Larry, and I'm really glad you have all your vehicles sorted!

Decided to leave Three Hills and Calgary till September. Today was supposed to be sunny and hot but instead it's still hot overcast and muggy. I cut the grass this morning after I moved the motorhome off the front lawn :) decided it needed cutting again and figured early morning so I was out there just after 8am.

End of the moth we'll drive up for the wedding and stay at the family farm for a couple days. I bought some aluminum angle and and some aluminum flat bar, Karen's brother John is a really good welder so will get him to weld it together, will be a frame to mount the iPad on a tripod much like Brian Townsend's design. Will post pics of it once it's done.

Tonight's sunset
Decided that I wanted a little different view so I drove out of the city, this is around a ten minute drive from home. Only problem out there was the wind. Made the city seem very calm. Loved the first little bit of the sunset the most just after I got out there. We had severe thunder showers all afternoon and looks like the forecast is the same for the next few days...

Lomora Pro, Redscale
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371698901.100613.jpg

Hipstamatic, Tejas, Kodot Xgrizzled, Jolly Rainbo
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371698987.842357.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371699035.880574.jpg

Tonight's sunset
Decided that I wanted a little different view so I drove out of the city, this is around a ten minute drive from home. Only problem out there was the wind. Made the city seem very calm. Loved the first little bit of the sunset the most just after I got out there. We had severe thunder showers all afternoon and looks like the forecast is the same for the next few days...

Lomora Pro, Redscale
View attachment 38932

View attachment 38933View attachment 38934
Beautiful!!

Kind of glad I decided we would leave it going now.

This morning we had around 3/4" of rain and drizzle after that much of the afternoon. At just after 4 I emptied the rain gauge and it started raining harder again. Just after 5 Karen said it had stopped raining and her and the neighbour were going to take the dogs for a walk. Before she left she checked the rain gauge and told me to come see. 1.4" in an hour. My son texted me a picture of the Albert St underpass, some idiot tried driving through it and didn't make it. Shortly after my wife called and said to come down by the school. Went down and spent the next while watching the kids having a blast and more idiots driving.

Albert St underpass
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371777958.118309.jpg

Down by the school
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371778004.305437.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371778064.559255.jpg

Kids will be soaked and filthy! Several cars didn't make it through so kids were pushing them out. One guy sat about 20 min and did manage to start his car but when he drove off he was blowing a lot of white smoke so he probably blew the head gasket. One gal got most of the way and kids pushed her off to the roadside. I have a few videos that I think I'll throw up on YouTube :)

The bigger one though is southern Alberta. High River is being evacuated, most of it is under a couple feet of water. High River is a 40 min drive south of Calgary. West of Calgary is Canmore and they are evacuating there also. Then parts of Calgary are being evacuated. I hope Kelly is doing alright as he lives down that way.

Three Hills where we were going to be has also had a lot of rain and on evacuation alert.

They said that whole area was supposed to get 100-150mm (4-6") more rain overnight

But in all of this the kids down the road where having an absolute blast

Wow! That's a lot of rain. And yes, people seem to lose their ability to drive when it rains. :mad:

Kids are great at making the best of situations. :thumbs:

More pictures from the flooded street...

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371937250.337527.jpg

At least these were smart enough to stay on that side of the road which is the high side. There is a drain in that area but just too much water and couldn't keep up.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371937354.727626.jpg

First casualty when I got there he made it most of the way but car died. After 20 minutes or so it did start but because he got lots of water inside the engine when he did leave there was a cloud behind him.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371937483.515052.jpg

This gal made it most of the way but it too stalled. She was still sitting when I left. She was on a cell phone so help was coming, meanwhile they did push he off to the side of the road.

These were taken from videos I took on the iPad with an app called instantly

Tonight's sunset, all I can say is wow!

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371959624.581113.jpg

PhotoSynth Panoramic. For some reason it lets me only take so many shots which is why the bottom left corner is not done. I would have liked to continue all the way around..

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371959792.328587.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371959823.304881.jpg

645 Pro set on E6K and Warm 85 Filter set at 10%

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1371960037.953417.jpg

Hipstamatic, Tejas, Kodot Xgrizzled, Jolly Rainbo @ 1/2

Only issue I had was trying not to get eaten alive, Mosquitos were out in full force and boy are they big this year. Have to remember to take a long sleeved shirt :)....

Larry, all your pictures and stories that followed were Incredible!!! Every one was spectacular.:notworthy:
Glad to hear about getting the wheelchair working & wish I would have thought of that for my mom's issues.:thumbs:
The flooding is so very heartbreaking & shocking, I can't stop thinking about what's happening in Southern Alberta...we're contacting the Red Cross. :(

Larry, all your pictures and stories that followed were Incredible!!! Every one was spectacular.:notworthy:
Glad to hear about getting the wheelchair working & wish I would have thought of that for my mom's issues.:thumbs:
The flooding is so very heartbreaking & shocking, I can't stop thinking about what's happening in Southern Alberta...we're contacting the Red Cross. :(
Yes, southern Alberta is a mess. The other day they were talking about adding Medicine Hat to the list. Going west we normally go through Medicine Hat and we have family there. My daughter works for Telus and is normally at the tower downtown but right now it like most of downtown is shut. They were trying to get all 200+ operators up and going in a building that only had about 60 cubicles. Karen's sister and our Daughter live in the NE part of Calgary and have no flooding but Kelly and his family and some family on my side live in the south part of the city. One niece and husband lived in High River and they had to stay elsewhere.

Much of the problem is that most of the areas most affected at in flood plains. BC years ago brought in legislation and changed the building codes so new houses have to be a min of 5' higher then the 100 year high water level for that area. I did drawings for a sports complex and it meant that the main level had to be almost 12' above the actual grade. They had to bring in fill and pack it which really added to the cost but they will not have water problems for a long time unless it exceeds the 100 year high. Part of the problem is where the building was being built as it was maybe 200' from the rivers shore.

Back in 2005 southern Alberta had flooding but from what I hear it's worst this year. I know back then parts of highway one were closed because they got washed out and one area they managed to keep half the road open but you were back down to single lane each way. It took most of the summer and fall before it was all open again.

Tonight's sunset. Not much in the way of clouds so pretty unspectacular until almost 9:30.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1372090209.071617.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1372090279.156128.jpg

The moon last night KitCam Night Mode, max zoom, Handheld sitting on the side of the road of a busy overpass
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1372090397.157188.jpg

The white light to the left is a gas plume, all the lights are from the oil refinery by Regina. I imagine when it was first built it was out in the boonies but city has spread out to it.

The city many years ago built Ring Road which was supposed to be a fast way to get around the city but over the years the city expanded past it. One side has so many street lights that it's no different then many other roads. Going east from our home it is pretty good, you can go almost 3/4 of the way around before you have street lights to contend with. City is trying to annex more land and plan is to make another ring road farther out. City is getting a lot of flack from surrounding municipality's and the estimated cost is horrendous! We have a gas tax here that was initially supposed to go to repairs etc of the roads but our government keeps throwing that money into general revenue so roads are getting poorer all the time.

After supper I drove over to fill the motorhome up. Most I ever put in the back tank was 100 litres tonight it took almost 98 so pretty close to running out.... There is a reserve over on the west side of the city that sells gas almost 10 cents a litre cheaper then anywhere else. On the way back I took a different route and stopped for a while and took pictures of the sunset. Windy here again and clouds move pretty fast.

645 Pro MkII, red filter at 15%, first picture with K25 film, second with E64 film
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1372305210.472047.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1372305244.595571.jpg

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1372305341.452555.jpg
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1372305362.457717.jpg

7Jul2013

Two different layers of clouds the bottom clouds a bit darker and moving a lot faster.
Oggl, Doris and Sussex
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1373298745.107049.jpg

Tonight's (11Jul2013) Sunset
Around +32-33c (+90f) today and high 80% humidity, brutal! Some rain over night and spitting all morning, this afternoon almost no wind, hot and muggy. Wasn't sure if there was going to be much of a sunset but it turned out really nice, clouds were breaking just at the horizon but heavier everywhere else. When that happens I know that the underside of the clouds will light up with colour. Tonight it did but all told lasted only a few minutes.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1373600695.476998.jpg

645 Pro II, no filters of any kind, though I did some with filters I prefer the unfiltered.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1373600788.138160.jpg

Kiamal Mark II, Alfred Infrared, Jolly Rainbo
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1373600869.999014.jpg

Hipstamatic, Tejas, Dream Canvas, Jolly Rainbo
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1373600933.847618.jpg

I had taken several sets of bracketed shots of the sunset with Pure Shot last night. Today I opened them in Mobile-HDR. Results didn't look as saturated as I would like so opened it in DynaLight HD and played around with it, decided I liked Orton the best.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1373657080.654127.jpg

Just remembered that I also used Handy Photo to remove the light standard, a pothole that was distracting. The new neighbours that moved into the house across the street had put in an alarm system so there was a bright red sign that was annoying, and I also removed the bright yellow hydrant.

Workflow goes:
Pure Shot
Mobile-HDR
Handy Photo
DynaLight HD

I had taken several sets of bracketed shots of the sunset with Pure Shot last night. Today I opened them in Mobile-HDR. Results didn't look as saturated as I would like so opened it in DynaLight HD and played around with it, decided I liked Orton the best.
View attachment 40077

Just remembered that I also used Handy Photo to remove the light standard, a pothole that was distracting. The new neighbours that moved into the house across the street had put in an alarm system so there was a bright red sign that was annoying, and I also removed the bright yellow hydrant.

Workflow goes:
Pure Shot
Mobile-HDR
Handy Photo
DynaLight HD
This is great! Beautiful sky, and love how white the house is, and the pop of blue and red.

Was going to post this a while ago but just getting to it now.

Today I bought FilterStorm so I was playing around with it with the same base image as the previous post.
Picture taken with Pure Shot Bracketed setting. Merged in Mobile-HDR. Some items removed using Handy Photo. The rest of this edit was done in FilterStorm. I like how this one looks at the moment.
ImageUploadedByMobiTog1373681375.196758.jpg

Back
Top Bottom