Talking Point..........

From terse Ted “Do you play a musical instrument (or have you ever)?”. I used to tray the plumpet. I think I’ve mentioned this before, but I lived with my sister in a terraced house and my trumpet homework was practicing my arpeggios. I wasn’t encouraged to carry on playing for some reason.:rolleyes:I have played the recorder and the piano and the guitar, but none of them to any real standard.

1. How is your week going? No, really?
    Not well. It's been a difficult few months. Hard to be in a good place when those you love aren't.
  2. Have you ever seen a ghost?
    No but when I was in my early teens, there were maybe 15 of us boys went down a deserted farm track, investigating after stories that the land was haunted. The further down the track we went, the more worked up most of the boys got. At the height of the collective hysteria someone screamed and ran back down the track taking most of the rest of the group with them in a state of panic. Seems someone heard a disemboded voice talking to them and after a few minutes most of the group said they had heard it too.
    Me and a few others watched a bit puzzled as the main group run off, walked back till we caught them up and listened as the group convinced itself they had had an encounter.
    I didn't experience the ghost but learnt something valuable about group behaviour.
  3. What's the worst movie you’ve ever watched?
    Anything by Kubrick but particularly Eyes Wide Shut.
  4. Which Peanuts character do you most identify with?
    Charlie Brown
  5. My mum used to say "Gently Bently" when she wanted us kids to be gentle. It imprinted on me so clearly that I've even caught myself using it with my own kids automatically.
    Decades later I found that Gently Bently was a radio series from the 50's and she was just parroting a catch phrase at me.
    What do you say all the time that came from somewhere(one)else?

I have lots. The thing that stays with me is from Spaced, a sit com with with Jessica Hynes, Simon Pegg and Nick Frost from the late 90's. There was a repeated use of "I don't know" but slurred and shortend like a teenager might so it sounded something like "uhuhunh".
    Both me and 'er in lockdown picked this up (because it made us laugh) and used it enough till it became a reflex.
    It wasn't until someone at work critisised this "I don't know" inflection that I realised how embeded it had become. That's when I stopped doing it of course.

Extra credit questions:
Do you believe in an 'afterlife' ?
I'm not big on belief. There's no evidence for an afterlife that I've seen.
Why?
That's usually the wrong question, especially when given to a child. Consider using how, when, where or who.
Do you think the American dollar is in serious trouble on the world stage?
Not sure about the dollar but I am anticipating a crash in the world markets.
Has Covid (some part of the experience) changed you? How?
No.
Do you play a musical instrument (or have you ever)?
I can play guitar, bass guitar, hand drums and could play the digeridoo too before I got scar tissue in my lip. Lately I've been singing in choirs.

this stream hasn’t been updated for months,
Shame, shame, shame :rolleyes:

ok to remedy that, 6 questions about photography (makes a change) and 1 not.

1. You have to delete every app from your phone bar one, which do you keep?

2. Get closer or use zoom?

3. Do you edit every image you make before it gets uploaded for public viewing?

4. Are you obsessed with straight lines, or are you cool with slightly skewed?

5. Adjust your settings or rely on Auto?

6. Do you think about what you are trying to convey in an image or are you a photographic butterfly, ah that looks nice snap, pretty colours snap etc?

7. Do you believe in Astrology? Why or why not?

Shame, shame, shame :rolleyes:

ok to remedy that, 6 questions about photography (makes a change) and 1 not.

6. Do you think about what you are trying to convey in an image or are you a photographic butterfly, ah that looks nice snap, pretty colours snap etc?

She runs screaming out of the room.…. Seriously, this is a very hard question. Would it be iColorama, Procreate or my new favorite, Infinite Painter? I think I might go for an outside my box thing and do Affinity. It has just about everything that Photoshop has except the part where I understand it. You can edit images, paint, it has filters for adding artsy stuff. I hope I never have to choose.

First zoom, then try to get closer if it’s something that might run, fly or scamper. Do the opposite if it’s not living.

99.9% of the time, yes.

I like that organic look of hand drawn, not perfect lines.

Adjust if there’s time. Fix later if it’s on the fly.

I do think about what it says to me, the reason it appeals to me. Sometimes, I’m looking for things I can use in a future composite. When I’m putting together a composite, I rarely have a plan. I just throw things on top of other things and see where it leads.

Not really, but I’m a big fan of stars!

Last edited:

If that means every app that didn't come with the phone, then probably I'd keep iColorama and shoot & edit with the native camera and Photos apps. But if that means absolutely every app, then I'd have to keep a camera app, probably ProCamera or Camera+ because they have some editing functions built in.

Mostly use zoom. Sometimes get closer isn't an option (egrets, cliff edges).

I edit 99% of my images or more, even if it's just a crop.

Totally obsessed with straight lines, especially horizon lines.

Adjust settings, although the native camera does pretty well on auto in quick snap situations.

Now there's an interesting question. At the moment of shooting, I'd guess I'm split around 50/50 between the two. Sometimes I'm walking and snapping, sometimes stopping and considering. But when editing, I frequently find a better picture within the picture I shot, so I'm thinking a lot more about what and why, especially as I crop. (And I almost always crop. When I shoot, I like to leave a little extra space around the scene most of the time to avoid inadvertently cutting something off.)

I got a near-lethal overdose of hippie astrology at college in the 60s, so no, I don't believe the stars determine our fates. On the other hand, I've had enough immersion in psychology (at college and later) to see the value (at least for some people) of systems like astrology or the tarot or the I Ching as prompts or projection screens for getting at parts of the psyche. It takes a light touch, I think, to avoid falling into a rabbit hole.

The camera app is an app. If I can't take photos then all the rest are already redundant. If it's 3rd party apps then I'll stick with snapseed.

Zoom when my subject might be bothered by having thier photo taken. Here's a very small jumping spider. Without the 3X zoom I'm too close and it'll stop dancing like no one's watching. For still life subjects it depends on the composition.

IMG_20210718_151330-01.jpeg

Mostly.

I don't like it if a cake isn't cut correctly but if it isn't cut correctly then make sure it's incorrect in an interesting or creative way.

Auto's good but I'll often make on the fly adjustments to exposure levels, zoom and focus points. I've been playing with RAW and manual settings but need to read up on it, I don't think I'm doing it justice yet.

Butterfly.

No. There's no evidence.

Last edited:
I don't like it if a cake isn't cut correctly but if it isn't cut correctly then make sure it's incorrect in an interesting or creative way.
Right, I should have said that. If it's not going to be straight, it ought to look like you meant it, not like you weren't paying attention.

sinnerjohn said:
Get closer or use zoom?
I almost always crop. When I shoot, I like to leave a little extra space around the scene most of the time to avoid inadvertently cutting something off
Since getting a good zoom I've actually been trying to balance getting closer with zooming. The P40 Pro+ has the best quality snaps at preset zoom levels with intermediate zooms losing quality. This means I'm often zooming in and out and walking back and forwards to get the framing I want. The compromise is often no zoom with lots of extra space to crop rather than losing key elements of a pic.

1. DELETE ALL APPS KEEP ONE
I’ve been with Hipstamatic now for about 8 years, even though I’ve cooled on it recently I still think it’s one of the best out there. I prefer the older classic combos and the bnw filters in my opinion are second to non.

2 CLOSER OR ZOOM
If the telephoto doesn’t do it then I use my legs.

3 STRAIGHT OR BENT
In certain circumstances I will use “Dutch angles” just for the effect. Slightly unintentional skewed horizons annoy me

3 DO I EDIT EVERY IMAGE
In this regard I’m probably pathetic. I even edit pics I upload to the family message group

4 ADJUST OR AUTO
Not much adjusting with the hipster. The native camera does a good job with focus and exposure. Occasionally with the golden hour yellow cast I’ll use the white balance in Camera Plus.

5 THINKER OR SNAPPER
I’ve been known to think occasionally. I will quite often visualise the final capture in my mind. Often especially with street photography you have to be quick with less time to think more instinctive but I think that’s something that you develop subconsciously over time

6 ASTROLOGY
I had a passing interest in numerology many years ago, but like passing wind it didn’t last long

The Photographers Ephemeris. But…that said, because I use my phone as a camera only, I use my iPad for editing so on my phone…it’s handy to see where the shadows, sunrise, sunset and golden hour lights will fall.

That depends mostly on how dangerous the subject is. If it might sting, bite, slap or otherwise maul I definitely use telephoto.

Probably about 70% of them. When possible, I do a good chunk of editing before I take the pic so it looks the way I want it to right away. Like most others, if time doesn’t permit I of course edit afterwards.

I’m a fan of the perfectly imperfect, but like several of you have already stated, I prefer it to look deliberate rather than careless or sloppy.

Auto for quick captures but I do try to make adjustments prior to taking the pic.

Definitely a butterfly…maybe more like a do…SQUIRREL..oh look! There it goes…..

That’s not an easy answer. Yes & no. I believe everything exists simultaneously and that all time is concurrent and that as part of the universal whole, the position of the stars and planets and gravitational pulls would have some effect on the universe (of which we are part) and therefore potentially have an effect on us. I don’t think they foretell our future (though possibility says they might) but I do think there is something to be learned about our psyche’s from a study of our astrological charts. Same goes for numerology and Tarot…I think they can both serve the same purpose as meditation by helping us focus on our inner knowledge and connection to Source (by whichever name you know it) to find answers to our direction. Basically…I believe in possibility and interconnection.

The camera app is an app.
I should have made it more clear for the more nitpicky members :lol: I assumed because the camera is hardware, the app that controls the camera wasn't something that could be discarded. So yeah one app besides the factory enabled camera app :rolleyes:

But an interesting point you raise, would most of use not use these devices if they didn't have a camera? I know I wouldn't.

1. Country U.K - Governor - Gordon Ramsay
2. Definition of infinity ? I could go on an on about this.
3. Sound - birdsong
4. Ultraviolet
5. Rabbits are extremely useful for creating other rabbits.

re. 1. You have to delete every app from your phone bar one, which do you keep?

I was guessing the top two would be Snapseed & Hipstamatic

I was considering doing a 'photographic' pet hates, but would probably offend everyone on Mobitog :eek: :lmao:

Back
Top Bottom